147 split turbo hose - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By _The_Editor_

messyhead

County: -
147 split turbo hose

Hi

I've got a 147 with a split upper turbo hose. The hose is the one that runs from the bottom right handside of the engine bay, up around the back of the battery and into the engine. The split is about 50mm long right by the clip at the engine end and there is a bit of oil/black residue left on the engine on the surrounding area.

The car kicks out a lot of black soot when accelerating and cruising on the motorway at high speed. I know some some is normal for diesels but it's a lot and it happening when cruising is a bit worrying.

My questions are could this split be causing the soot, is the black residue normal around the split or a sign of a faulty turbo bearing and is the cruising smoke something to worry about. Plus will the split cause any impedance to performance.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by messyhead View Post

My questions are could this split be causing the soot, is the black residue normal around the split or a sign of a faulty turbo bearing and is the cruising smoke something to worry about. Plus will the split cause any impedance to performance.

Yes, not necessarily, yes. Yes.

Black smoke is a sign of over-fuelling. Because you're leaking air out before the engine, you now have too much fuel - hence smoke.

A little oil misting inside the boost hoses is completely normal, and it tends to get dirty/sticky around a leak. Excessive oil can be a sign of something more sinister though. As you describe it however, it sounds normal.

Prolonged running with your air/fuel ratio out f whack could cause issues with the cats/lambdas etc... Engine was meant to run with the boost going in, not leaking out!

Again since you've got air leaking out, the fuel isn't burning properly.. Hence the power you get from each burn stroke is lower than it should be. Lower power, lower economy, and a smokey mess out the back!

Upper hoses are easy fixes.. Autolusso sell top quality silicone replacements that come with a lifetime warranty... Alternatively seek out a rubber replacement for a few pounds and run it on a bit longer...

Ultimate cheapo repair involves duct tape or self-amalgamating tape, and wrapping it up closed... Not by any means a worthwhile long-term fix... But taped up whilst you wait for the spare part to arrive is perfectly acceptable.
joeymannero likes this.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post

Black smoke is a sign of over-fuelling. Because you're leaking air out before the engine, you now have too much fuel - hence smoke.

A little oil misting inside the boost hoses is completely normal, and it tends to get dirty/sticky around a leak. Excessive oil can be a sign of something more sinister though. As you describe it however, it sounds normal.

Prolonged running with your air/fuel ratio out f whack could cause issues with the cats/lambdas etc... Engine was meant to run with the boost going in, not leaking out!

Again since you've got air leaking out, the fuel isn't burning properly.. Hence the power you get from each burn stroke is lower than it should be. Lower power, lower economy, and a smokey mess out the back!

Upper hoses are easy fixes.. Autolusso sell top quality silicone replacements that come with a lifetime warranty... Alternatively seek out a rubber replacement for a few pounds and run it on a bit longer...

Ultimate cheapo repair involves duct tape or self-amalgamating tape, and wrapping it up closed... Not by any means a worthwhile long-term fix... But taped up whilst you wait for the spare part to arrive is perfectly acceptable.

an excellent explanation of the situation..

messyhead

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post

Thank you very much, great explanation. There's not a lot of oil, just a bit near the split. It now makes sense why the economy has dropped considerably as well. I've ordered one from autolusso now and will use duct tape while I wait for it to come.

I've not driven too many miles with it like it so hopefully there won't be any lasting damage.

Cheers

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Just changed my split top hose today..........what idiot positioned the bottom clip so you have to strip out the wheel arch liner to access it? Fortunately I had a spare clip so a touch of brute force broke the original clip, saving me a lot of time - replacement is accessed from above

Seems to be less smoke now, but its triggered MCSF messages for the first time in ages......just like it did when I first got the car. Time for an Italian tune up methinks!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , hose , split , turbo