Whats the normal running temperature of 1.9jtd? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By David C
  • 1 Post By sprint_veloce

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Whats the normal running temperature of 1.9jtd?

Hello,
not having found definitive answers I have to ask here. Whats the running temperature of the 1.9jtd engine? Alfa gt in this case.

Mine goes up to 70-80 celsius, but i have never seen it go higher than that. Sits at 80 when I'm gunning it. Is my thermostat dead?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

They can take a while to warm up but once there it should sit at a rock solid 90. If you do have to replace it I would recommend a genuine one, they are just better.

http://newalfaparts.co.uk/search?con...submit_search=
http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/parts/...ermostat.shtml
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
My 156 1.9 JTDM has recently started to do the same thing. Before it would always be sitting a bit above the 70 mark, reaching 90 when in traffic. Yesterday the temperature outside was 10 degrees Celsius when I left for work in the morning and for most part of the journey (13 miles of city driving) the temperature was below the 1st mark. It has also begun to do it in motorway journeys. Last weekend I did a 40 something mile trip, mostly on the motorway, and while still in the city it would be around the 70 mark, when I hit the motorway the gauge needle would not reach the 1st line (it would be a bit below)
A few people, including mechanics, have told me that these cars take forever to get to op. temperature and that it's normal for the gauge to not get right up to 90 and stay there (like in all my previous cars, to be honest) They all told me I should not worry about it but I do!
I think the thermostats open at around 82c and I would swear that I read somewhere here or in another forum that this issue with low temp. on the dash has something to do with the way the gauge displays the fluctuations in coolant temp. (or at least that's how I understood it...)
Me personally, I am having it checked by an Alfa mechanic (Bianco) next weekend but like you, I think it's going to be new thermostat time. Normally I would do it myself, it's not a difficult job once you remove the battery to get easier access to the bolts, but I don't have the will power... I think you can expect to pay between 60 for a pattern part to around 130+ for a genuine one at an Alfa dealership for the part as it comes with the housing and replace the whole thing. The labour cost to fit I guess it's going to be around one hour if you're reusing the coolant.

Last edited by TheVarix; 24-09-16 at 12:39.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Temperature displayed on the gauge differs between a 156 and the 147/GT which use a Canbus driven gauge. The OP should clarify what model Alfa he has...
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Temperature displayed on the gauge differs between a 156 and the 147/GT which use a Canbus driven gauge. The OP should clarify what model Alfa he has...
from original msg OP:
"Alfa gt in this case"
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
from original msg OP:
"Alfa gt in this case"
Missed that
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So if it differs, what does that actually tell us? That one model shows less or more?
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Read via odb port.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabutto View Post
So if it differs, what does that actually tell us? That one model shows less or more?
that in the 147/gt the temperature is first processed by the ECU, and will always display 90 degr on the guage for any temperature measured between 80 degrees and 100 degrees, so display should be really stable at 90 degr during normal use. If you want accurate realtime temp, you will need to read it via the OBD port.

On the 156 a seperate temp sender is used for the guage, and the guage will display true engine temp as measured by this sender ( causing bigger fluctuations in the displayed temp). However there are sometimes problems with the sender/guage, causing erronous displays

Last edited by jwq; 25-09-16 at 07:25.
AO Member

I fitted a "genuine Alfa" thermostat to my 2.0TS. What actually came out the box, was a Behr! So one should be safe to buy a Behr branded as itself... Have also checked out the Vernet thermostats for TS engines very carefully and they seem equal in quality.

Can't see why this situation wouldn't apply to the diesel engines.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
that in the 147/gt the temperature is first processed by the ECU, and will always display 90 degr on the guage for any temperature measured between 80 degrees and 100 degrees, so display should be really stable at 90 degr during normal use. If you want accurate realtime temp, you will need to read it via the OBD port.

On the 156 a seperate temp sender is used for the guage, and the guage will display true engine temp as measured by this sender ( causing bigger fluctuations in the displayed temp). However there are sometimes problems with the sender/guage, causing erronous displays
Interesting...I noted that my 147 JTDm always shows a rock-steady 90 once warmed up.....So really speaking its no more sophisticated than my old Imp, that had a warning light that went out when it warmed up and only came on again if it overheated.......Isn't progress wonderful
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Where is the temp sensor in the engine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
Where is the temp sensor in the engine?
Thermostat housing.
t3yls likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVarix View Post
My 156 1.9 JTDM has recently started to do the same thing. Before it would always be sitting a bit above the 70 mark, reaching 90 when in traffic. Yesterday the temperature outside was 10 degrees Celsius when I left for work in the morning and for most part of the journey (13 miles of city driving) the temperature was below the 1st mark. It has also begun to do it in motorway journeys. Last weekend I did a 40 something mile trip, mostly on the motorway, and while still in the city it would be around the 70 mark, when I hit the motorway the gauge needle would not reach the 1st line (it would be a bit below)
A few people, including mechanics, have told me that these cars take forever to get to op. temperature and that it's normal for the gauge to not get right up to 90 and stay there (like in all my previous cars, to be honest) They all told me I should not worry about it but I do!
I think the thermostats open at around 82c and I would swear that I read somewhere here or in another forum that this issue with low temp. on the dash has something to do with the way the gauge displays the fluctuations in coolant temp. (or at least that's how I understood it...)
Me personally, I am having it checked by an Alfa mechanic (Bianco) next weekend but like you, I think it's going to be new thermostat time. Normally I would do it myself, it's not a difficult job once you remove the battery to get easier access to the bolts, but I don't have the will power... I think you can expect to pay between 60 for a pattern part to around 130+ for a genuine one at an Alfa dealership for the part as it comes with the housing and replace the whole thing. The labour cost to fit I guess it's going to be around one hour if you're reusing the coolant.
this was happening to me I changed the thermostat and now it sits at 90 gets up there quickly as well
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
As Pud said, the 147 and GT's gauge acts differently from the 156.

On the 156, normal gauge behaviour with a working thermostat is that temperature gets up to the 70 degree line or the 90 degree line (depending on road speed, e.g. airflow) within about 5 minutes (or maximum 10 minutes on an icy day) of driving from cold and then does not drop down below the 70 line no matter what you do. Fairly big fluctuations between 70 and 90 on the gauge are normal. At idle or slow speeds, the needle will exceed 90 by a hair and then the fans will kick in, bringing it down slightly below the 90 line again.
If the temperature takes a much longer time to get up to the 70 line or above, the thermostat is dead (failed open). If the temperature drops below the 70 line (easily going down to close to the first, 50 degree, line) at highway speed after having warmed up, the thermostat is dead.

As Pud said, on the 147 and GT the gauge is "software modulated" like VAG products, where it will get up to temperature and then show a solid 90 at all times unless there is a big drop or rise in temperature. I have never driven a 147 or GT extensively, so I can't say from personal experience, but I do think that if a GT gauge shows anything less than 90, it probably indicates a dead thermostat.

What you describe sounds exactly like what a 156 of mine was doing when its thermostat had failed open. Replace it.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 28-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Okay, has anyone analyzed the inside of the stock thermostat housing? As in does it have other functions than just letting flow to the radiator? Looking at the picture it has several hose connections to it.

I saw the renault-tstat-caveman-style-jam-into-hose solution, but perhaps a nice inline housing for a generic tstat is better.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabutto View Post

I saw the renault-tstat-caveman-style-jam-into-hose solution, but perhaps a nice inline housing for a generic tstat is better.
I love the Renault solution. If I'd known about it I'd definitely tried this instead of a new thermostat. It's much more fun!

It's worth noting that when my thermostat was broken I only got 40mpg. Now fixed I routinely get 47mpg. Therefore it doesn't take long for the replacement to pay for itself.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
I love the Renault solution. If I'd known about it I'd definitely tried this instead of a new thermostat. It's much more fun!

It's worth noting that when my thermostat was broken I only got 40mpg. Now fixed I routinely get 47mpg. Therefore it doesn't take long for the replacement to pay for itself.
With the Renault 5 solution, the fix pays for itself even faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpin0 View Post
this was happening to me I changed the thermostat and now it sits at 90 gets up there quickly as well
I have an ext face lifted 156 sw with 1.9jtd engine, and have similar issue. I have changed 5 (five!) thermostats but the issue is still persist (temp stays around 70 C deg)... Anyone has idea what i need to check?
Thanks in advance.
AO Silver Member

What diagnostic tool are you using to check coolant temp? Hopefully you're not relying on the dash gauge...
halftone likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
19jtd , normal , running , temperature

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page