147 Spring ID - Help, please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
147 Spring ID - Help, please

The more I dig into my donor facelift's undercarriage, the more my heart sinks.

Rear struts are a mismatched pair, one older Italian shock, one newer Turkish; the former has heavy abrasions to the spring (from being dragged across a breaker's yard, for sure).

Springs have two white dots on each, and a fingerprint sized daub of fluorescent green per spring also. Springs are different makes, the one on the Turkish strut has a fairly readable code stamped along its last turn while the other has no visible markings.

Everything I read about "standard" 147 springs says they should have one red and one yellow spot of paint, and EPER is no more forthcoming.

Can anyone shed light on this colour/ID issue, please? I'm a bit gutted because I wanted simply to replace the leaking rear dampers on my '03 with a good matched pair and a lower mileage 2005 donor sounded the goods.

Thanks, Adam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Well, the rear struts have been identified by their part numbers. Both 156 items; 1 late GTA, 1 pre-facelift 2.0TS. With springs that presumably they came with from the factory (one blue/green spots, the other two white, one green). What a disgraceful mishmash.

Anyone care to comment on the quality of MM shocks? I can get them sent out here at a good price.

Cheers, Adam.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , spring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page