Gt upgrade brakes help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eivindcl

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

LOTS OF ALFA'S

Gt upgrade brakes help

i bought a GT 3.2 V6 and i want any info you have on upgrades.

bought another GT 3.2 for the Tan seats and the satnav but i have not swapped them over to the main car yet.

the first thing i am going to do are the brakes (they are terrible - fade to nothing at high speed braking)

i seen some MTECH discs i had them before on another car and they were quite good FOR THE MONEY but what pads do you recommend for country side driving (not much braking but when you do its high speed braking 80+ mph down to 20 mph for most corners - brakes are always in a cold state before slamming on)

i would like to here your experiences with disc pad combo's

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Have you tried changing the brake fluid? That will make a huge difference I'm sure
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

LOTS OF ALFA'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic2115 View Post
Have you tried changing the brake fluid? That will make a huge difference I'm sure
that is something i will definitely do, its due a big service any way, timing belt not due to next year but i'll get that done before the end of this year.

AO Member

happy with original discs, performance friction pads from autolusso and dot 5.1
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
you have the 4 pot calipers up front so I suggest you change the fluid and pads (try peformance friction up front) and all should be good..if you want to change discs m-tec are hard to beat for th price and quailty, 330mm drilled and grooved all round for aound 60 a pop.

I have autolusso peformance friction pads on mine and race fluid, and even on the standard 2 pot front calipers and OEM discs I have plenty of stoppipping power, and my car is a hybrid turbo diesel pushing 240 bhp and over 500nm...your 4 pots with some tweaks should be more than enough if working as they should.

your issue is most likely maintenance related not hardware related...

let us know how you get on after a pad and fluid change, would be surprised if this didn't sort it.

It's Busso time ..
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Performance Friction pads, whatever discs you choose, fresh fluid, and braided lines if you're feeling flush with cash..
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
PF pads do need to heat up a bit before they're at their best. Great pads but if you want instant braking from the moment you turn the key then maybe brembo originals.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Performance Friction brake pads are the best pads money can buy, standard discs are fine

Performance Friction - 330mm Front Brake Pads - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

Ned
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

LOTS OF ALFA'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
Performance Friction brake pads are the best pads money can buy, standard discs are fine

Performance Friction - 330mm Front Brake Pads - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

Ned
okay, been looking in to it and at first i was looking at carbone lorraine pads but i think the performance friction might be the better option or maybe i will try both as i have 2 cars here to try them on.

i'll go with the MTECH discs

what brake fluid do you think is best??
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

LOTS OF ALFA'S

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eivindcl View Post
happy with original discs, performance friction pads from autolusso and dot 5.1
AH! dot 5.1
AO Member

I was just about to post the exact same suggestion per fluid. You can get two years between flushes with 5.1 fluid.

Being compatible with DOT4 you don't need to flush everything through with an intermediate agent. Bleed a generous amount through each corner, you need to purge the caliper plus ABS bloc plus fluid lines plus master cylinder plus reservoir. An honest cupful per wheel is plenty.

If you don't have a diagnostic program that locks off the other three wheels as you bleed each one, disconnect the battery before starting. This is a redneck way to make sure the ABS pump isn't going to try making up for a perceived loss of pressure.
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

LOTS OF ALFA'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
I was just about to post the exact same suggestion per fluid. You can get two years between flushes with 5.1 fluid.

Being compatible with DOT4 you don't need to flush everything through with an intermediate agent. Bleed a generous amount through each corner, you need to purge the caliper plus ABS bloc plus fluid lines plus master cylinder plus reservoir. An honest cupful per wheel is plenty.

If you don't have a diagnostic program that locks off the other three wheels as you bleed each one, disconnect the battery before starting. This is a redneck way to make sure the ABS pump isn't going to try making up for a perceived loss of pressure.
thanks for the tips guys, pretty much sorted now and i'll get braided pipes too

now for the crap front suspension.

every time i drive over a hump or dip it keeps hitting the bump stops with that big v6 up front i need to change the shocks.

i'll be replacing every arm and links up front for new ones while i have the car up for the brakes so whats the best shock and spring set up?

i dont want to lower the car much as i'm in the country side and the roads are not ideal for lowered cars around here but i do need less travel or stiffened shocks
AO Member

If you go too stiff, the "knock on" effect will impact other items like motor mounts. See how genuine OEM replacement prices up for new dampers. I believe a lot of the revelatory tales come from replacing knackered components with fresh ones more so than the change to a superior brand.

With the brakes, I suggest only changing one hose at a time, and then bleeding each fully before moving on. Rinsing the spilled fluid with hot water, soft brush and a small hint of car wash detergent will minimise the tendency of fluid to linger, and the transferred heat from your hot water dries the surface out faster.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussoDiego View Post
okay, been looking in to it and at first i was looking at carbone lorraine pads but i think the performance friction might be the better option or maybe i will try both as i have 2 cars here to try them on.

i'll go with the MTECH discs

what brake fluid do you think is best??
This is my brake fluid of choice

Motul high performance brake fluid

Ned
AO Member

County: Wiltshire-
Garage

Member car:

156 V6

I use Mtech discs and Mintex pads on my 156 and it stops quick enough to tear your face off. Lots of brake dust though but they are amazing! I also have braided brake lines. My own nerve goes before the ability of the car to stop in any given distance!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
This is my brake fluid of choice

Motul high performance brake fluid

Ned

The very high boiling point (312C / 594F), superior to conventional DOT 5.1

I use the Ferodo Formula (DSF) - best I can find for the money close to where I live
http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/brake-fluids/

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
brakes , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page