MSFC error after heavy accel on a hill - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dgmayhead

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
MSFC error after heavy accel on a hill

1.9JTD 16V 140HP
I noticed the past few days alot of black smoke. All turbo hoses are fine. After a heavy accell , i got an MFC error. Shut down the car, no problem eith the startup and engine ran perfectly after, no loss in power.
My EGR valve is definitely clogged, I'll clean it in a week, can that be the issue?
If not, what else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
check codes...

but black smoke and MCSF is classic powertrain related stuff

boost leak,vac hose to vnt actuator split or collapsing under load, stuck VNT, or EGR, and then Maf or Map sensor.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
check codes...

but black smoke and MCSF is classic powertrain related stuff

boost leak,vac hose to vnt actuator split or collapsing under load, stuck VNT, or EGR, and then Maf or Map sensor.
Hoses are new, checked them and they are fine. MSFC is an isolated case, only once it happened. I'll check codes these days, can it be something major like a dead turbo / head gasket/ something expensive? Black smoke is rare too, far from always

AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
In my case it was a small vacuum hose (3mm) that is for the actuator. Between radiator and the engine block. This and another one in the similar area. It wasn't gone completely, but was starting to perish so there was a leak.
replaced them with the silicone hoses.

Occasionally it still happened (without smoke), but I keep it at a bay with the Italian tune-up. Haven't had it for close to a year I think.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Mine did it a lot when I first got it, but just flicking the ignition on and off would clear it and restore power. Once I started using it regularly and giving it some revs it cleared up and hasn't done it for months now, so the good old Italian tune-up as mentioned above could well be the plan!
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Mine did it a lot when I first got it, but just flicking the ignition on and off would clear it and restore power. Once I started using it regularly and giving it some revs it cleared up and hasn't done it for months now, so the good old Italian tune-up as mentioned above could well be the plan!
Hooked up an MultiECUScan , error was P0238 - Boost pressure sensor - it had sensed 2.65 BAR boost pressure ,hence the error. Once cleared, driving very much spiritedly gave no errors. I'll still get the EGR and MAR cleaned , I think.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
clean the Map sensor aswell, they sometimes get full ofsoot, don't register the pressure properly and the vnt start adding pressure, resulting in an ultimate over pressure reading.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
clean the Map sensor aswell, they sometimes get full ofsoot, don't register the pressure properly and the vnt start adding pressure, resulting in an ultimate over pressure reading.
Will do EGR and MAP, yes. Around 20 for both, i'm okay with that. Other on my list are a renault 5 thermostat fix for this winter and a second hand pair of front shocks , OEM parts. Should get me just fine till next year and all under a very good budget. 15-20EUR for the thermostat, 50EUR for both the shocks and install. Should be a good budget solution until I can fix it properly. 100~ EUR for a car returned to decent condition works for me.
Zuhayb

Where is the maf and map sensor located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Will do EGR and MAP, yes. Around 20 for both, i'm okay with that. Other on my list are a renault 5 thermostat fix for this winter and a second hand pair of front shocks , OEM parts. Should get me just fine till next year and all under a very good budget. 15-20EUR for the thermostat, 50EUR for both the shocks and install. Should be a good budget solution until I can fix it properly. 100~ EUR for a car returned to decent condition works for me.
I think it's a Renault 4 thermostat but then again all French thermostats from the 80's are probably identical.
sneaker likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
I think it's a Renault 4 thermostat but then again all French thermostats from the 80's are probably identical.
It's a Renault 5 ,the 1.4 petrol engine. I know y'all probably don't approve my way of maintenance, but I'll keep it like that with the less important things ,which would allow me to do a cambelt change. Once important stuff are sorted, I'll get back to doing it properly . Plenty of people run Renault 5 thermostats without any problems, so I shouldn't have one either , I'll keep it only for the winter anyways.

Btw, Cambelt is around 15K miles old, which is just fine, but it's nearly 5yo. Last owner wasn't much of a driver. I'm not sure if I can push it for another few months.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
accel , error , heavy , hill , msfc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page