Main beam headlights flickering? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Main beam headlights flickering?

Hi to all, this is my first post so please do let me know if anything is wrong:

My car, an Alfa GT 1.9jtdm when driving at night using main beam headlights they constantly flicker, low beam and high beam is fine, any thoughts on what could be the problem? All help is most welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Hi and welcome. Are these standard or projector headlights? Sometimes you get the flickering with the projectors. Some one with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollok View Post
...when driving at night using main beam headlights they constantly flicker, low beam and high beam is fine...
First of all, can you be clearer as to which bulbs are flickering?
"Main Beam" and "High Beam" is the same thing.

AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Do you have an orange warning light on the dash? I would have always thought that one common reason for any type of bulbs to flicker is if they're loose or there's poor contact/connection. I would try to check, refit the bulbs and clean the connections before checking anything else.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVarix View Post
Do you have an orange warning light on the dash? I would have always thought that one common reason for any type of bulbs to flicker is if they're loose or there's poor contact/connection. I would try to check, refit and clean the bulbs and connections before checking anything else.
Not many bulbs are actually monitored though.
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
First of all, can you be clearer as to which bulbs are flickering?
"Main Beam" and "High Beam" is the same thing.
When the headlights are on standard setting, not high they flicker, hopefully this makes a little more sense
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGTV View Post
Hi and welcome. Are these standard or projector headlights? Sometimes you get the flickering with the projectors. Some one with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly!
Hi, they're just standard bulbs as far as I'm aware
Club Member

County: Northamptonshire
Do both bulbs flicker, or just one?....difficult to judge behind the wheel, but if you leave it ticking over and look from 20 yards away you should be able to see. If they both look normal when stationary, I'd say its a connection / vibration issue.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
When the headlights are on standard setting, not high they flicker, hopefully this makes a little more sense
Guess you mean "Dip Beam" (often called "Low Beam"). You can see the confusion when you said Low Beam and High Beam were fine!!

I'm also guessing that you haven't checked the bulbs yet. The car may have had after-market HIDs fitted by a previous owner and they can flicker if getting a poor supply or earth.
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfahemi View Post
Do both bulbs flicker, or just one?....difficult to judge behind the wheel, but if you leave it ticking over and look from 20 yards away you should be able to see. If they both look normal when stationary, I'd say its a connection / vibration issue.
The lights don't flicker at all for a few miles, then it won't stop.
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Guess you mean "Dip Beam" (often called "Low Beam"). You can see the confusion when you said Low Beam and High Beam were fine!!

I'm also guessing that you haven't checked the bulbs yet. The car may have had after-market HIDs fitted by a previous owner and they can flicker if getting a poor supply or earth.
I'll have them checked, re the HID bulbs although they look standard tbh, I was trying to say that the first light position is fine, main position is where the problem arises, although full high beam seems ok too, I hope this a little clearer although it's starting to confuse me!
AO Silver Member

Main beam headlights flickering?

Quote:
I'll have them checked, re the HID bulbs although they look standard tbh, I was trying to say that the first light position is fine, main position is where the problem arises, although full high beam seems ok too, I hope this a little clearer although it's starting to confuse me!

Around the bulb wiring, look for a little metal box, about the size of a matchbox. You may have to take the plastic cover off the headlight unit, to find it. If you have the box, then that will be the HID kit.

Do both lights flicker or just one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
Around the bulb wiring, look for a little metal box, about the size of a matchbox. You may have to take the plastic cover off the headlight unit, to find it. If you have the box, then that will be the HID kit.

Do both lights flicker or just one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi, it seems to be the driver's side only.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
beam , flickering , headlights , main