Some advice on ELM327 ODBII and Alfa 147, can't connect to ECU - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 17-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Some advice on ELM327 ODBII and Alfa 147, can't connect to ECU

Need a help or advice, i have a flashing odometer, and it's probably because of instrument cluster and electrical windows unit were replaced.

So because it's cheaper to get the diagnostic tool than paying in the service to reset (do proxi alignment) to fix the errors i bought one of those cheap elm327 diagnostic tools.

The exact name is ELM327 OBDII v1.5, with cable, its exact one like from the image below.
ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-Diagnostic-Scanner-Reader-Tool-Performance-OBD-2-OBD-II-Plug-Drive-Chip-Tuning.jpg

But i have a problem, i can't connect to the car at all.

I always get an error "Could not connect to the ECU"

When i try to connect to the ECU, i tried with the Multiecuscan and Scan Master tool and both fail at connection.

When i try to connect for example in Scan master:
I get a connection with laptop and interface on COM4 port
I get a response from the car that it is somehow noticed that diagnostic tool is connected to the car,
In the response i get a car battery check, if it's turned off 12.1v or engine running 14.1v (of course when car is turned of ignition key is turned on)
Than i get a response that protocol is KWP Fast, or KWP 2000
And something that braud rate is 94 thousands or something
And last step when i get the error is error "Could not connect to the ECU"

I tried diagnostic tool on two different Alfa's mine is Petrol, and friend have Diesel same year model (2001) and it's the same on both Alfa's
When i tried diagnostic on Seat Ibiza, and Fiat Punto, or Renault Laguna, the diagnostic tool works with no problem.

Can someone give me any suggestion what to do? This diagnostic tool is supposed to do everything with Alfa Romeo cars, but mine can't even connect.

In other hand, can bluetooth or wireless versions do proxi alignment and other things like mileage change (because my dashboard is changed it have wrong mileage) or maybe some kkl vag com is able to do these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
Garage
from some other threads on here it would seem that the vag/kkl cable along with multiecuscan (free download) is the way to go for Alfas, heard off a few problems with the elm327 interface.

I use the kkl cable/multiecuscan and never found a problem connecting...
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 17-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Would this one be good to get, i found this one a little bit more expensive than elm327 but they say it have dip switch which is used to switch between interfaces like airbag, engine, abs, esp?

2015-VAGCOM-409-FT232RL-Chip-VAG-COM-Vag-409-VAG-KKL-USB-Fiat-Ecu-Scan-Diagnostic.jpg

But no one is mentioning that it works with Alfa Romeo
AO Member

Garage
looks like the one i have plus it does say fiatecuscan on it and alfa are part of the fac group...
AO Member

Garage
sorry FCA not fac oops
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 18-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdads156jtd View Post
looks like the one i have plus it does say fiatecuscan on it and alfa are part of the fac group...
It does say fiatecuscan but i don't know anymore because everyone is saying different. Since your vagcom is the same let me ask you, maybe you stumbled upon some of these problems or fixes. So as i said my switches to electrical windows are replaced and also gauge table is replaced, and my gauge table drops out following errors vsc, airbag, blinking odometer and not correct mileage (the table display 69k when actual car have 210k) and when i went in the service once i checked all that and the guy told me on diagnostic that everything is working fine(airbag and vsc) but problem is probably because instrument table is replaced, the fix would be to do proxi alignment that would fix the instrument table errors and windows buttons but he wasn't sure about reseting mileage to correct one within ECU.

So do you maybe have any experience with all this things would this vag com be able to connect on required modules and fix.
AO Platinum Member

You need an ELM type cable for CANbus. A KKL won't work.

Have you looked on the MultiECUScan website about ELM cable issues?
jwq
Club Member

County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerunner View Post
.....In other hand, can bluetooth or wireless versions do proxi alignment and other things like mileage change (because my dashboard is changed it have wrong mileage) or maybe some kkl vag com is able to do these things?
used bluetooth elm327 in the past, and works fine for ecu (currently using multiplexed version)
see also here:
https://www.gendan.co.uk/category_161.html
https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FESHW.html

if (true) mileage on computer is higher then displayed dashboard mileage, you can transfer/synhronise computer mileage to dashboard to make equal
(you can only increase dashboard mileage, not decrease, to prevent fraud)
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
I use the kit form this company

Fiat, Alfa Romeo diagnostic tools :: Gendan Automotive Products

If you look at the Fiat/Alfa section, it lists what each particular cable colour is used for in terms of diagnostics. I have used this kit for a few years now on both Alfa and Lancia and have had no problems at all......I had tried cheaper 'shipped from China" stuff previously, but had too many connection/stability issues.

Also, Gendan are based in Swansea and are always happy to advise over the phone or if you pop in. I have phoned them with some fairly inane questions and they could not be more helpful.
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Doh.....just seen the post sbove.

Should really pay more attention.........
AO Silver Member

County: Skåne
Do you have the right drivers installed? your ELM327 (Chinese) may have CH340/CH341 USB to Serial chip or an FTDI USB to Serial chip (which is probably preferable) fitted.

A lot of talk about ELM327 and MES here Multiecuscan - View topic - FAULTY ELM 327 INTERFACES DE-MYSTIFIED (READ HERE) (think it is the issues David C talking about), maybe there is a solution for your problem there.

Some so-called ELM327 1.5 (there never was a "real" 1.5 from ELM Electronics) have problems with MES, better to buy a cheap 1.3+ or 1.4, they can have a resistor problem in the CAN termination but it is easy to resolve .. just remove the resistor.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 18-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdads156jtd View Post
I use the kkl cable/multiecuscan and never found a problem connecting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
You need an ELM type cable for CANbus. A KKL won't work.

Have you looked on the MultiECUScan website about ELM cable issues?
So one of you says kkl works, another that it don't work. There is alot of debate as i can see on the net about getting elm or kkl for Alfa and everyone is talking differently, so how can i know who is right, does kkl really works or elm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FESHW.html

if (true) mileage on computer is higher then displayed dashboard mileage, you can transfer/synhronise computer mileage to dashboard to make equal
(you can only increase dashboard mileage, not decrease, to prevent fraud)
I have seen this kind of kits around here and honestly they cost twice as much as kkl with dip switch. For around 15 euro i can get just a kkl cable without those without those additional cables in the kit, with cables the kit here would cost about 60 euro. And the one that i posted in image few posts above have a dip switch that eliminate the needs for aditional cables like in the kit you posted. And that one cost about 30 euro.

So pardon me for being ignorant but if the one with dip switch is the same how about getting that one?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , advice , alfa , connect , ecu , elm327 , odbii