Rattling/grinding noise from up front? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 17-09-16 Thread Starter

County: Slavonski Brod-Posavina
Rattling/grinding noise from up front?

Hi all, I've reading the forum for quite a while and have mostly found my answers without the need to open up topics. But this slighly baffles me so i guess ill ask.
Anyway recenty I've been hearing a sort of rattling or grinding noise somewhere from the engine bay. I can't really describe it, more like gridning. Now there are some specifics. It sounds like rattling if i let of the gas and the revs go down to idle (between 1500 and 1000rpm). It can be heard during revs decrease. WHen its idling its fine. If i give it a bit gas i can produce the sort of grinding noise only in a sweetspot just under 2500rpm. As long as i maintain the revs in the sweetspot the noise is there, if it goes over 2500 or under 2400 its gone. It is not related to driving because it can be heard/produced in neutral without the use of clutch or the brakes. I think it can be heard during driving too, again at 2500rpm but it is hard to say because of the surrouding noise. From what i have so far read, it could be a heat shield?
I noticed that the engine plastic cover is loose on one corner, it wobbles quite a bit. But is it possible that a piece of plastic can cause something like that? Other than that, car runs fine.

Its a '04 GT JTD.

Last edited by St0ka; 17-09-16 at 14:22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
could be the DMF wearing or vibrating at a certain rpm or as you say just a loose heat shield . its hard to say without looking at the car or hearing it
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter

So, a little update. I sorted the grinding noise, it was the exhaust flexible pipe.

However there is one annoying thing that has remained. When I hit the brakes i can hear sort of a clunk or a click, when i take off it can be heard too but a lot fainter. Seems that when I brake there are two clicks, and one fainter click when I accelerate. It feels like its coming from inside the car or somewhere beneath the car beneath the driver. It's like something is moving around while the car goes forward/backward. Now the exhaust guy who fixed the flexi pipe said that the rest of the exhaust is fine, and tbh im not having any issues with driving, or shifting gears, or excessive smoke or braking. It's just those clicks that now are annoying. Perhaps i should just let it slide until i actually start getting issues?
AO Member

County: -
Is the lateral engine mount underneath, loose, or failed, or failing?
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 29-09-16 Thread Starter

Update 2. Went to change the rear exhaust rubbers and it turned out that the bottom engine mount (the transmission one) was shot. It was protruding out quite a bit. Changed it of course, but the clicking noises during forward/reverse movement is still there. Another symptom, if it can be called a symptom showed up. After the new bottom engine mount was installed the car is vibrating a lot more in neutral than it used to. Is it due to the new mount or another mount has failed and it cannot compensate for the new installed one?
AO Member

County: -
Did you push the new mount around so that in normal operation the motor is clear of the firewall? There is a large range of adjustment possible.
AO Member

County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

What make is the new mount?
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 29-09-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
Did you push the new mount around so that in normal operation the motor is clear of the firewall? There is a large range of adjustment possible.
Clear of the firewall? The mount i changed is on the bottom of the gearbox, i'm not sure it is in contact with the firewall, but the alfa going up tomorrow again so i'll double check. The more annoying issue is the clicking thing im hearing during forward/reverse movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
What make is the new mount?
French brand, Sasic

Last edited by St0ka; 29-09-16 at 16:55.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 14-10-16 Thread Starter

A new update. I replaced 3 of the 4 engine mounts. I did not replace the upper right one because that one seems fine. The clicks during deceleration/brakin are still there. However during the mount change it has been noticed that the ball joint on the right lower wishbone has quite a lot of play in it. So atm that is the possible culprit for the clicking.

Recently another symptom arose. When i turn the steering wheel either way it sounds as something is loose inside it, the mechanic said its just the fluid circulating, but i am not exactly happy with that explanation. Could it be the ball joint transfering sound all the way in or maybe its the steering rack on its way out? I have checked the steering fluid, there is enough of it, the steering feels fine during driving.

Oh and could the mods change the topic name to "Clicking nose during decelerating/acelerating"?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
front , noise , rattling or grinding