How to improve the ride of my V6 156? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By a17esh
  • 1 Post By Hugh Myles

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick
How to improve the ride of my V6 156?

Hi lads, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to improve the ride quality of my V6? It is on Koni Sports and Eibach springs AFAIK. And to be honest, I think the ride is way too harsh for where I'm living. Bouncy enough on smooth roads and very crashy on anything rough. (Bear in mind I live in Cork. Ive done a good bit of driving in the UK and have never seen anything as bad as the average Cork road)

The 17 inch wheels probably dont help but I do like the look of them if i can keep them. Any different springs I could go with that would retain a similar ride height? The 156 is never going to be a sports car so i'd prefer keep it leaning more toward the comfort side of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

I think you've probably answered your question. If it has Konis and Eibachs, and has 17" wheels, those are the components to change back to standard. It's probably sitting lower than originally too. Might be cheaper to sell it and buy an unmodded one.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
The Alfas do ride hard. I was ready to give up with my GT and the crashy ride. However I opted for Koni FSDs and Eibachs springs and it is brilliant. I did also replace the upper and lower wishbones. Drop links and antiroll bar bushes, which make it quite....and end result the car felt a lot less crashy.

If I was in your position.

17'' wheels are fine.
Maybe change to OEM springs.
Koni Sports shocks should be ok.

If the just feels old on rough surface look at replacing bushes - not to powerflex.
samsemtex likes this.

AO Silver Member

Which eibach spring have you ? 30 mm lower or 40 mm lower ? 30 is what you want. Sports should be ok, but I swear by fsd's, just put eibach 30 mm lower springs on mine after 4 years with Alfa sportpack springs on fsd's and the car is sublime in comparison. Very important that all bushes and arms are in good condition. And finally, vitally, get 4 wheel geometry done, with somebody who is recommended, many haven't a clue what they are doing, to sport suspension setting, that means 0 setting for the front tracking. You would be amazed at the difference that alone makes.
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
Which eibach spring have you ? 30 mm lower or 40 mm lower ? 30 is what you want. Sports should be ok, but I swear by fsd's, just put eibach 30 mm lower springs on mine after 4 years with Alfa sportpack springs on fsd's and the car is sublime in comparison. Very important that all bushes and arms are in good condition. And finally, vitally, get 4 wheel geometry done, with somebody who is recommended, many haven't a clue what they are doing, to sport suspension setting, that means 0 setting for the front tracking. You would be amazed at the difference that alone makes.
I dont know how lowered the car is. Its not as low as my old 159 Ti anyway if that gives you any clue.The bushes and arms are pretty solid. The tracking is way off at the back as the concentric bolts are seized so i'm getting that sorted at the moment.

I found my 156 TI (also on 17s) which was totally standard a much better set up. If i could get it to something like that id be happy.
AO Member

County: -
Get Koni FSD with Eibach -30mm, expensive but according to manny it offers a great compromise between comfort and sportiness.
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 28-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

What if i fitted the springs from a 156 TI and left the Koni shocks there for now? I think the springs are too hard, the damping seems quite good.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsemtex View Post
Hi lads, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to improve the ride quality of my V6? It is on Koni Sports and Eibach springs AFAIK. And to be honest, I think the ride is way too harsh for where I'm living. Bouncy enough on smooth roads and very crashy on anything rough. (Bear in mind I live in Cork. Ive done a good bit of driving in the UK and have never seen anything as bad as the average Cork road)

The 17 inch wheels probably dont help but I do like the look of them if i can keep them. Any different springs I could go with that would retain a similar ride height? The 156 is never going to be a sports car so i'd prefer keep it leaning more toward the comfort side of things.
I think you already have the best set up but going back to standard shocks will soften it up but it's quite a cost.
AO Silver Member

Wait until you get it properly tracked and take it from there. Start from a solid base so to speak. Tyre brand and pressures are important too.
samsemtex likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 28-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
I think you already have the best set up but going back to standard shocks will soften it up but it's quite a cost.
Yeah, I dont think you would say its the best set up if you drove it. It's very punishing to drive any distance. It's really quite unpleasant and anytime I hit something hard I can feel the entire dash shudder and it feels like something will break.

My 156 TI handled just as well and had a vastly superior ride comfort. The difference between them is night and day.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
I have your springs with standard shocks and the ride is comfortable. I don't grind on speed bumps. It does however lean round bends. Not sure if the v6 is heavier or lighter than the diesel. It's not my daily driver anymore so I think I'd prefer your set up. Having started with the original springs (veloce) I think it's the shocks that cause the crashiness not the springs. Anyway, always keep it low. Unfilled wheel arches look lame.
Ps I have 17s as well.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I really don't think that powerflex is that detrimental to comfort. I have Powerflexed uppers in my GT 3.2 and strongflex sport 95sh uppers in my 156. Neither are harsh, I feel more of the road but the springs and shocks should be providing the comfort. Suspension arms ensure that the impact is transferred to the shocks/springs in a linear fashion and reduce lateral and Sagital movement. I think people notice that their shocks and springs are worn when they fit nice tight bushes and don't upgrade the suspension. Just my opinion though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , improve , ride

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page