Help Needed desperately 156 2.4JTD Management problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 14-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Help Needed desperately 156 2.4JTD Management problem

Yesterday halfway home (after about 12 miles) I performed a high speed overtake of three vehicles and the car was running like a dream. Then I caught up to some slower vehicles and eased up, and then the car appeared to go into limp mode or similar - totally gutless and won't rev freely. Took it to my local mechanic who ran diagnostics which indicated turbo pressure boost fault (or something similar) anyway we went round checking various pressure switches and hoses all appeared to be working OK. He thought it could be the turbo (which I had rebuilt last year). So I took it round to the guy who rebuilt it (and had also fitted the engine at the same time). I 'phoned him today and although he hasn't had a chance to look at it properly, he doesn't think the driving symptoms indicated a turbo fault. He thinks it's an electrical management fault. Since I've had the car, when I've booted it hard, sometimes the engine management system warning has come up , sometimes with a slight drop of power for a moment and sometimes able to drive through it. I've had three different diagnostics run on it (one with a specific Alfa connection) all just coming up with the boost pressure message.

Anyone have any answers or ideas? this appears to have baffled three different garages (and me) now.

I go on holiday in just over a week and am desperate to sort it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Peril156 View Post
....and then the car appeared to go into limp mode or similar - totally gutless and won't rev freely. Took it to my local mechanic who ran diagnostics which indicated turbo pressure boost fault (or something similar)....
Do you know the code that came up? That'd be a good place to start. If the ECU detects boost higher than the allowed limit for more than a given number of milliseconds it will cut fuel.

Quote:
Since I've had the car, when I've booted it hard, sometimes the engine management system warning has come up , sometimes with a slight drop of power for a moment and sometimes able to drive through it. I've had three different diagnostics run on it (one with a specific Alfa connection) all just coming up with the boost pressure message.
Is this the same message or a different one?

Its good practice to write stuff down & make notes. If you get a fault come up, make a note of date and time, circumstances in which the fault happened, any symptoms and the error code.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 14-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

The mechanic said that from memory he thought it to be Boost pressure solenoid circuit A

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Problem solved, despite having the EGR valved cleaned out not long ago and checked recently, that's what the problem was. Now with a new one fitted, it goes like a rocket. Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to shop around for the part and ended up having to pay 130 odd for it - I don't know if that was good or not, but now having paid for it I'm certainly not going to go through process of seeing if I could have bought it cheaper, because that always makes me sad.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
130 isn't bad assuming it was a genuine Alfa/Bosch/Pierburg unit and not something generic.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Problem solved, despite having the EGR valved cleaned out not long ago and checked recently, that's what the problem was. Now with a new one fitted, it goes like a rocket. Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to shop around for the part and ended up having to pay 130 odd for it - I don't know if that was good or not, but now having paid for it I'm certainly not going to go through process of seeing if I could have bought it cheaper, because that always makes me sad.
Could have blanked it for a fiver but you probably don't want to know that.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I shall now take my trusty service revolver and do the decent thing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , 24jtd , desperately , management , needed , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page