156 V6 Radiator replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yiorgos

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 13-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire-
Garage

Member car:

156 V6

156 V6 Radiator replacement

Just after some opinions here. I need to replace my radiator and was wondering if I should buy a standard radiator or go for a fully aluminium one? Has anyone got an ally radiator on their Alfa? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Standard Valeo is fine. They are aluminium. There is no need (unless you are tracking the car in Saudi or similar) to have a bigger capacity radiator. Hardest thing about changing it is removing the bumper if it has never been removed before - all the fixings will be corroded.
AO Platinum Member

I doubt any 156 has made it this far without having a replacement rad. The original Copper ones didn't last long.
So the bumper should have been off several times already.
But yes the screws will likely be rusted and snap if original were reused and the bottom of the bumper support may crumble away unless it has been replaced already.

As for the rad, yes a std Aluminium one should be fine. I got a Nissens one, which felt better than the original Valeo.

GTA have a slightly thicker rad, but had to find aftermarket, so most GTA are running std 2.5V6/2.0TS rads now.

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
The OP might be referring to the all-aluminum (no plastic end tanks) radiators which have started cropping up for Alfas on ebay. I've no experience with those ones, haven't fitted one yet.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
The OP might be referring to the all-aluminum (no plastic end tanks) radiators which have started cropping up for Alfas on ebay. I've no experience with those ones, haven't fitted one yet.
I'm sure he is.
Haven't seen them (in person or on eBay).
How much are they?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
The radiator from the 3.2 GTA is more efficient by having twice as many rows, better fin design and slightly thicker. There is a company called NRF that sell them on ebay, they are actually the Valeo one Alfa supply but for half the price. The 2.5 probably needs this superior rad more than the 3.2 because on the 2.5 the coolant also has to cool the oil, I picked this over the alloy one as the seller didnt guarantee it would fit without modification.

Last edited by davebem; 13-09-16 at 20:17.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

156 V6 SW

Wonder how the 50mm (last of puds links) fits? I fitted an aftermarket rad on my old jts and had to modify it to get it to fit properly. Would be good to hear from anyone that has actually fitted one.
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 SW

I recently installed: Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 2.0 2.5 V6 97+ 50mm Aluminium Radiator

The quality of the radiator is very good and my yearly trip to the south of Europe with loaded car (as well as uphills and ambient temps above and beyond anything UK can throw) proved that 50mm is more that you are likely to ever need.

Installation was straightforward, save for 2 bits:

1 - the stock rubber/plastic bit that holds the radiator to the top transverse cross member is not wide enough, easily modified.
2 - The lower radiator header, fouls the air filter box, again easily fixed (relocate the airbox a few mms, not the RAD!).

A small concern is that in the future engine maintenance tasks that require moving the engine on it's mounts (e.g. read bank top λ-sensor (CF 3), alternator etc) may be a bit more tricky than usual ...

hope this helps
valinco likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , radiator , replacement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page