car got stuck in gear and once got home now it won't start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 13-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
car got stuck in gear and once got home now it won't start

i have an alfa romeo 156 selespeed, i went for a drive up the road and when i came to a stop at an intersection it was stuck in second gear, i could only get it into R. i turned the car off and it would not start again. called RAA he was there putting some information into his computer and it came back with a blown power windows fuse can stop the car from starting? couldn't find the fuse, but had a feeling to try and start the car.. it started i got it home. but now it will not start at all can anyone lead me in any direction of where to start looking or what the problem may be? heeeeellp ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

You were fortunate to get back to base, at least you can keep an eye on it now while a plan is formed.

Honestly doesn't sound like the fix is going to be cheap or simple. A good time to clear your thoughts on how much you like the car; how willing you may be to spend on repairs vs saying "It's all too hard" and changing vehicles.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Did a very quick search for you, and it seems a few different conclusions to similar problems.
1 ABS fuse 10A blown in the fuse box beneath steering wheel compartment.
2 Brake sensor behind the pedal
3 Clutch or bearing.

As I previously mentioned, I'm not familiar with the Sillyspeed boxes, so don't know which one is most likely, or whether they are red herrings. Maybe fiatecuscan or alfadiag would show a fault code?
Are all instrument clusters working?

AO Member

Member car:

Years ago my wife was driving the same car as you when it stopped. The AA could not figure out the problem and relayed it to alfaworkshop.co.uk
They replaces a coil pack and a fuse and made a comment that the fuse often fooled the breakdown services.
I don't know anything more than that as I was working away at the time so only heard after the event, but may be worth call them and get some advice. 01763 244441, ask for Jamie.

Having said that, if it originally stopped in 2nd gear it sounds like a fault with the selespeed. Which gear is it displaying now? It won't start unless it it is N.
Good luck
Joe

Alfa GT JTS Selespeed. Previously 2.0TS Sele Sportwagon, 1.8TS 156
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 13-09-16 Thread Starter

thankyou, it doesnt seem like its gonna be easy to find.
but iv still got a car that won't start.
that nobody will wanna buy.
cant just up and change cars haha
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini92 View Post
thankyou, it doesnt seem like its gonna be easy to find.
but iv still got a car that won't start.
that nobody will wanna buy.
cant just up and change cars haha
Here's a novel idea, try answering some of the questions that you have been asked both here and in the other thread you have on here.

You've asked for help, some people have asked for more information in both threads to try ascertain the problem and you've given them nothing
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 14-09-16 Thread Starter

thanks for your novel idea mate, im still just trying to figure out how to use this page
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 14-09-16 Thread Starter

Did a very quick search for you, and it seems a few different conclusions to similar problems. 1 ABS fuse 10A blown in the fuse box beneath steering wheel compartment. 2 Brake sensor behind the pedal 3 Clutch or bearing.

thankyou, i will make sure to check all of these. and let you know
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 14-09-16 Thread Starter

Joe H
my partner tried last, so i will have another attempt and see if he had it in gear.
thank you
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Ok, If the pump is working get your partner to try the following

1/ Turn the key to MAR (its the key position just before start and all the dash lights come on) put foot on the brake and see if he can get the gearbox to shift into neutral. If it does see then if it will go through all the gears. If it doesn't do any of these, while he has foot on brake, make sure the brake lights come on.

If the pump is whirring and the Selespeed fluid tank is at the correct level with the key turned to MAR, with your foot on the brake you should have enough pressure to select gears and put it into Neutral. The reason I ask about the brake lights is that there is a switch on the Brake pedal. The computer must see that you have your foot on the brake to start the car and to put it into gear, if the switch is faulty the car won't start, if the brake lights don't come on with the key turned to MAR and foot on the pedal it is definitely faulty. Problem is if the brake lights do come one, the switch could still be faulty, but lets try what I have written above first and go from there.

Baz

Patty - 2004 Alfa 156 2.0JTS Sportwagon

Ruby - 2000 Alfa 156 2.0 TS Selespeed with Sports Pack
(Eibach 2.5 Lowering Springs)
(Bilstein Sports Dampers )
AO Member

There's always this approach:

But I would try Bazz'z first.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
There's always this approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

But I would try Bazz'z first.
I don't know if you have it in the UK, but that actual "sketch" is used here in Oz with Cleese thrashing a police "Panda Car" as an add for "Spec Savers", a chain store for Optical Glasses.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
car , gear , home , start , stuck

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page