Alfa GT rim - tyre width compatibility - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By yiorgos
  • 1 Post By ej2_sir

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Alfa GT rim - tyre width compatibility

Hello
Yesterday I cracked my front right wheel and need to repair/replace it. I was certainly about to send it for repair, however I saw a good deal on a set of new rims by WSP Italy. The model is WSP Alfa 296-S. They look good and the price is good - about 260 euro for the entire set. However the width is 7j while my tyres are 225/45/17. I know my OEM multispoke wheels are 7.5j in width, so I cannot help but wonder if there would be a problem or performance/stability drop? The tyres are Pilot Sport 4 if it matters. So what do you think would it be safe to switch to 7j wheels with 225 tyres?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 SW

I would not ....

I would not install a 225 tyre on a 7J rim.

although at the limits of what is allowed, the effect is to create a positive camber effect when the tyre is laterally loaded and this is not good neither for lateral grip nor tyre life.

The only positive I can think (apart from cost) is that you won't have to worry about scraping your rims on kerbs ...
xen0s likes this.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Under the impression 205/215 was about max for a 7j?
xen0s likes this.

(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 12-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thank you for the replies. As I thought, Im glad I did not hurry too much. Instead I decided it would be a good time to ditch the 9 year old OEM multispokes and ordered TOORA T570 GFP. They have width of 7.5 which is the same as the ones I have now. Altho almost double the price they look nicer and expect to feel at least as good on the road as the OEM`s.

Now Im wondering whether I should sell the multispokes or keep them as reserve set.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 13-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
A little update - today I changed the rims and it turned out the original ones were 7j not 7.5 as I thought. That being said in normal use and some more spirited B road driving, I have not felt unstability, but maybe thats just because I have no baseline to compare to.
So as it stands the rims I got are not only a visual but also I would guess a minor performance upgrade since they are 7.5j and quite a bit lighter than the originals. They also look quite nice - pics here.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , compatibility , rim , tyre , width

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page