Alfa Romeo GT JTS2.0 Thermostat Replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By edwardsuen
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 12-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: China
Smile Alfa Romeo GT JTS2.0 Thermostat Replacement

Problems: The temp always shows working between 70C and barely move to 90C, which is not good for the engine in the long run.
Trouble shooting : As per describe in many post listed here, by check warm radiator hose, to me, since temperature here in Hong Kong is always above 30C, the car should go into working temp of 90C in 3 to 5 minutes max!

Parts: I brought it from alfaworkshop, very convenient shopping from their website and very fast and accurate delivery, received from international shipping within 3 to 5 days max from date of orders dispatched, there are three options to choose from:
  1. Alfa
  1. Behr with temp sensor
  1. Facet

I choose Behr, since they are Alfa OEM products, I believe they will work even better form their own branding, from my personal preference, ha ha ha.. Anyways, alfaworkshop told me they are actually the same!

Preparations: Get all parts and necessary tools ready for the job!

Job Difficulties: The most difficult part will be how to remove the old clip without damaging the water hose, these took the longest time, others are just simple loosening and tightening of nuts and bolts~ it took me two hours to complete the replacement job.

Must have additional parts other then water pump: new clips, as alfa only use one reusable clip using 7mm socket to remove, all others needed to be cut off, so you need 3 new clamp. after thermostat removed, the antifreeze will flow away more then you think, even at high level, you will need 3L to top up, in case you wish to do this in a more tidy manner, you may wish to drain the antifreeze out before you continue, yes, drain out 3L is enough!! if you wish to replace it all, feel free to drain it all out~

Step by Step replacement procedure:
1.) Remove Battery strap nuts, remove negative terminal, remove positive terminal, remove battery from GT~
2.) Remove the wiring bracket from battery stand for easy access to the thermostat
3.) loosen the clamp on the right with 7mm socket, cut the remaining 3 clamp by cutting pliers or very small grinding disc, I use grinding disc in order not do damage the rubber pipes.
4.) Remove thermostat bolts, one top and one bottom, the bottom one is a bit tricky, as you will not be able to see from top or below, just have to feel the position by hand after removing the lower water hose! here is the approx position~ closer looks here!
5.) Thermostat removed, check for correct fitment between old and new thermostat! (you may see the old one opens more then the new one~)
6.) Clean up the contact point from the engine to the thermostat to ensure proper sealing!
7.) Optional, I want to be double sure and not working on the same issue twice, I put in some gasket sealant to ensure perfect seal is established.
8.) Tighten the two bolts that hold the thermostat, tighten the 4 clamp to the waterhose, I do not like one time clamp, so my replacement clamp are all tighten by flat screw driver, except the reuse one using 7mm socket on the right.
9.) Put the wire bracket back to the battery stand, put battery back to GT, put the battery strap back on and secure the strap bracket nuts, put the positive terminal back on, put the negative terminal back on.
10.) Top up the antifreeze coolant, start the engine, check for leaks!
11.) Reset the instrument cluster settings back to your preference, such as date, time ... etc.

The thermostat works perfect!! now the car temp. shows 90C after 3 mins drive~

t3yls likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , jts20 , replacement , romeo , thermostat