Should I trade my dark green 147 for a babyblue 156 SW? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 09-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
Should I trade my dark green 147 for a babyblue 156 SW?

My car is a dark green, 4 door, 1.9 JTD 147. Should I trade it for a light baby blue 156 wagon?

I am in a dilemma here, because I like the way both of them look, however I am a Gemini and if you believe in that sort of thing, I get bored of things rather quickly and want change.

I would keep my car because:

- It is a 1.9 110 HP, so it has enough power to go around and it's not that bad on the mileage, even tho it is a bit on the upper side.
- 17" SuperSport wheels
- Beige interior
- Cupholders, duuuh.
- Love the color

I want the wagon because:

- Love the color, as well.
- 2.4 so it sounds a bit better BUT higher cost to tax, and higher consumption
- Looks cool because I've never seen this color on a 156, only on a facelift 147.

TL;DR: I don't know if I should change - my car is cheaper to run and insure/tax, and the other one has more power and growl. I like the way both of them look, and I am not sure what to do.

Also, the 156 has 235k on the clock (that's kilometers), while mine has *only* 180k. When are the big services supposed to happen on both of them? Also, the 156 is a year newer (2003).

Also, I have heard horror stories of the 2.4 JTD being unreliable, but that was for the 136 HP, this one is 150 HP. But then again, to be fair, I always hear horror stories about Alfas. Also, mine is registered for a whole year (got my papers and plates today) and this one only until January.

Last edited by gijst; 09-09-16 at 15:03. Reason: title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
In my experience the fuel bills become less important as a car ages as the biggest costs become repair and servicing. The 5 pot 156 is definitely more desirable.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 09-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Well, to be honest, I do a lot of mileage. Or at least, I think I do. Since I bought the car a year ago I did around 15000 kilometers (10k miles) on it. And to be honest, the car has sentimental value to me. I'm not sure how I'll sell it if I ever need to.
AO Member

County: -
Good to see horoscopes getting a mention; my sign is Vegetarius and like most of them my best made plans can be distracted by thoughts of a chip butty.

Can you cover both options in the short term; own both and then sell the one that - after six weeks - you find yourself going to less often?
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 10-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Sadly, no. Girlfriend is supposed to get her driving license soon so if I could Id get it and drive both of them. But no, I cant do that.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijst View Post
however I am a Gemini and if you believe in that sort of thing, you are credulous and gullible.
There, fixed it for you.
AO Member

County: -
Clearly there is risk aversion.

Stick with the one you have, there is more emotional depth to it and while the disappointment at not having another toy is real, it would not approach the lingering regret if you sold the 147.
gijst likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 10-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
There, fixed it for you.
Thanks for fixing it! but it does get that part of me right. I usually get bored of phones, games and cars quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
Clearly there is risk aversion.

Stick with the one you have, there is more emotional depth to it and while the disappointment at not having another toy is real, it would not approach the lingering regret if you sold the 147.
You are right! Id probably regret it, and I prefer the way the 147 looks at the front.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
I own both a 147 and a 156 and for me, as a driving experience I love them both for different reasons and I don't and can't bring a comparison into it. If I was you test drive the 156 for as long as you can and get as much information as you can from the 156 then make your decision. Or get the 156 and have both if you can. Thats what I did as the 156 has a v6 engine which is what I wanted and went out and looked for. The 147 is a 2.0 selespeed so I have 1 twin spark and a v6 whenever I want.

Never take no for an answer

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , 156 , babyblue , dark , green , trade