TS oil cooler pipes replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

TS oil cooler pipes replacement

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to undertake TS oil cooler pipes replacement without removal of the oil filter and heat exchanger? I have spent half a day on it and don't seem to be able to line up the connector to the water pump without disturbing the replacement pipes that are effectively pulled away from the heat exchanger when the screws are tightened on the connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
You talking about the two short hoses?

I did it once by very gently pulling the pipes out of alignment, threading the new hose on, pushing the pipe back and sliding the hoses down and over the heat exchanger feed pipes. I reused the clips too as I didn't want to use jubilees.

I've done them again since when I had to change the headgasket and had all the pipes off and fitted some slightly thicker, reinforced silicon hose.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 09-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
You talking about the two short hoses?

I did it once by very gently pulling the pipes out of alignment, threading the new hose on, pushing the pipe back and sliding the hoses down and over the heat exchanger feed pipes. I reused the clips too as I didn't want to use jubilees.

I've done them again since when I had to change the headgasket and had all the pipes off and fitted some slightly thicker, reinforced silicon hose.
Hello Gazza and thanks for your reply. I have managed to get the two small pipes on but each time I try to align and tighten the water connector pipe at the water pump end and on the block it pulls the pipe away from alignment on the heat exchanger. Did you fix the rubber pipes on first with clips before attempting to tighten water pipe connector? Also, why did you decide against replacing with jubilee clips?

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino164 View Post
Did you fix the rubber pipes on first with clips before attempting to tighten water pipe connector?
I think so yes. That way the two metal tubes are held in place. Although I was careful not to bend them too much when I took them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino164 View Post
Also, why did you decide against replacing with jubilee clips?
They rust! Plus they cut into the hoses if you over-tighten them. The original clips were tight but not over-tight.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cooler , oil , pipes , replacement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page