abs failure after new wheel bearing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

147 jtd mjet

abs failure after new wheel bearing

Just had a new SNR wheel bearing fitted at a local garage as i dont have a press. great now no more noise but now abs / vds? has failed. on daig there is no output from that wheel sensor. has the garage busted the sensor? or is it a faulty bearing. the sensor had to stay in place as it was stuck in position. the wiring was unplugged in engine bay and passed out of the wheel arch so that the whole hub/upright could be removed from the car.
Anyone had a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
the sensors do get very brittle so its very possible that the garage cracked / snapped the sensor . the only other thing could be to clear the fault then see if the error stays
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Yes, changed a drive shaft and obviously clobbered the sensor as it was throwing an error - something like "phonic wheel". Replace sensor - they get corroded and brittle. Rubbish bit of design.

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 jtd mjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlock View Post
the sensors do get very brittle so its very possible that the garage cracked / snapped the sensor . the only other thing could be to clear the fault then see if the error stays
Garage cleared the fault. But it came back as soon as i drove it home. Once home checked myself zero signal when spinning the wheel. Garage i suppose dont want to say they busted the sensor and blamed the bearing. But it seems very unlikely to me an new snr bearing would be duff. I wouldnt be that naffed off with them if they had busted it! These things happen especailly as the sensor stayed stuck in the upright as the old bearing was knocked out and the new one pushed in.
Whas the best way of getting a seized sensor out? Garage talking about drilling it out
AO Member

County: -
They are an overly snug fit to begin with. Corrosion shrinks the sensor hole's bore and places a super fine coil under massive compression. Even a slight disturbance can then break continuity. While you could say that literally the garage did cause the fault, probably anyone who attempted the task woukd have experienced this outcome. Consider it a partial cost of the wheel bearing repair.

Drill out the dead sensor, hone the hole to a smooth sliding fit with a new sensor, install with a little marine grade grease coating the sensor sides and bore.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 jtd mjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
They are an overly snug fit to begin with. Corrosion shrinks the sensor hole's bore and places a super fine coil under massive compression. Even a slight disturbance can then break continuity. While you could say that literally the garage did cause the fault, probably anyone who attempted the task woukd have experienced this outcome. Consider it a partial cost of the wheel bearing repair.

Drill out the dead sensor, hone the hole to a smooth sliding fit with a new sensor, install with a little marine grade grease coating the sensor sides and bore.
Ok thanks guys. So like myself the opinion seems to be sensor not bearing is the problem. As for the drilling out with the upright on the car if its drilled out there wont the end of the sensor drop into the space between the bearing and cv joint and get trapped there? Or is there enough room for the sensor end to drop out?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
abs , bearing , failure , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page