Question about oil level - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By David C

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 07-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Question about oil level

Hello.
After changing my oil ,I noticed something weird. Sometimes in the morning, my dipstick won't have any oil on it and my car's computer will tell me it's time to add some more. Then, after starting the car once or even just turning off MAR and back to ignition, oil levels are back to MAX. The surface is flat.
The bigger worry is why sometimes my dipstick doesn't have any oil on it, usually happens after the car wasn't driven for a while? On a second startup, dipstick is back to full, of course checking properly by shutting off engine, cleaning dip stick, dipping again and seeing the results. No apparent oil leaks whatsoever.
147 JTD 16V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

If the dipstick is dry before startup, you need more oil.
dgmayhead likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 23 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
If the dipstick is dry before startup, you need more oil.
The thing is, it happens once in 10 startups. Sometimes my computer says i have a bar shy of max, sometimes empty. I filled the car with 5W-40 ,4.4L as specified when doing an oil filter change as well.

AO Member

If it's anything like the Peugeot/CitroŽn oil level sensors, it will be somewhere west of vaguely unreliable. Better off using the dipstick as a true indication.
AO Platinum Member

in-car oil level readouts are not always reliable.
Go by the dipstick.
If the dipstick is dry, you need more oil. There should be no argument about that. If it is dry, how can the level be even close to correct...????
(Post Link) post #6 of 23 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
in-car oil level readouts are not always reliable.
Go by the dipstick.
If the dipstick is dry, you need more oil. There should be no argument about that. If it is dry, how can the level be even close to correct...????
What could be causing a sometimes entirely dry dipstick and sometimes brimmed to the max? Flat surface on both tests, even same spot.
AO Member

County: Highlands
I think going by the manual,if it's filled to the correct level there should be a bar 'empty' on the computer.
(Post Link) post #8 of 23 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO156! View Post
I think going by the manual,if it's filled to the correct level there should be a bar 'empty' on the computer.
Here is a picture of my dipstick, cold engine and all. It's till the end of the meshed part.
Pic
P.S. Do you have manuals in english? Mine is Italian and I understand absolutely nothing .
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

Alfa 156

If it is going all the way up to the top end of the mesh (as in the photo) then it is correctly and fully filled.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
P.S. Do you have manuals in english? Mine is Italian and I understand absolutely nothing .
http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/Mode...part_number=#1
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Here is a picture of my dipstick, cold engine and all. It's till the end of the meshed part.
Pic
It looks like you've tipped the dipstick and the oil has run to the top showing a false reading.

I cannot understand what the issue is here, as David says, the dip stick is your control, not some unreliable electronic read-out.

Check oil when car is cold on a flat surface, or at least well after a journey to allow the oil to drain into the sump.

Dip stick out, wipe, dip, read, wipe, dip read, or if you own a 159 repeat about twenty times until you get a reading.

There is nothing else to it

Garry
----------------------------------------------
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

TSR 2 Test Flight
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Quote:
Filled to the top it should show ALL bars and say "Oil Level". If it says "Maximum Oil Level" instead it means it's overfilled apparently even though you'd read that as being correctly filled to the brim in the usual English sense. Italian translation problems I suspect.

And pull and wipe several times to get a decent reading. This gets rid of the oil that lives in the dip stick tube giving a false reading as it ends up on the mesh bit when you pull the dipstick out.
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
Filled to the top it should show ALL bars and say "Oil Level". If it says "Maximum Oil Level" instead it means it's overfilled apparently even though you'd read that as being correctly filled to the brim in the usual English sense. Italian translation problems I suspect.
You (general sense) don't need to consult a manual to interpret the oil level on a dipstick?...... surely.
(Post Link) post #14 of 23 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
You (general sense) don't need to consult a manual to interpret the oil level on a dipstick?...... surely.
I know the question was a bit dumb, but i prefer to ask before doing something bad to my car. After all, nothing is more important than oil. I checked it correctly, cleaning a couple of times and checking, always full of oil right up to the end of the mesh part. Guess I'm in the safe.

P.S. Totally unrelated, but do JTD 8V and JTD 16V have the same front left drive shaft? Looking to buy a new one and found a good for sale ,but from an 8V?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Y'know, if I were to make a list of ALL the dumb questions asked by ALL of us on this forum and listed us from top to bottom in order of "who is the biggest horses ass" (myself included) I am sure tishobg would pretty much be at the bottom of the list.

Baz
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
the dip stick is your control, not some unreliable electronic read-out.
Computers LIE, don't you let anyone tell you otherwise!

Baz
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
I know the question was a bit dumb, but i prefer to ask before doing something bad to my car. After all, nothing is more important than oil. I checked it correctly, cleaning a couple of times and checking, always full of oil right up to the end of the mesh part. Guess I'm in the safe.

P.S. Totally unrelated, but do JTD 8V and JTD 16V have the same front left drive shaft? Looking to buy a new one and found a good for sale ,but from an 8V?
I wasn't suggesting it was a dumb question. My god we've seen our fair share of doozers on here.

I apologise if you took it that way.

As I stressed in my reply, "YOU" was meant in a general sense, not specific to the OP.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I know it sounds daft but occasionally oil does not seem to "stick" to the dipstick.

I've pulled out the dipstick and no level (or oil) appears on it. Wiped the stick, redipped and the level is then shown.

I don't know why but it does happen.
(Post Link) post #19 of 23 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

All is good , it's my first experience with cars ,which turns every single thing it makes in a question mark in my head, hence the quantity of threads I start. Thanks you all for your help, better to be safe than sorry.
AO Platinum Member

My 156 TS would give a different level on the dipstick depending which way round you put it in.
If you twisted it, it was different again.

I went for the method that gave the lowest reading, which for that was hatching facing away from me and no twisting.
Fresh clean oil can be very difficult to see. So for that, carefully roll the dipstick on clean tissue/cloth to see the level while being carefull not to tip it up and have it run up the dipstick...
AO Gold Member

Garage
My 159 was an absolute PITA as I mentioned previously, the Lexus is marginally better, Mrs. V's Seat Mii is just about impossible, I need a torch to reflect off the oil and my best readers.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
2008 147 1.9 JTD 16v manual on the subject of oil levels. With the dipstick showing 'full', my dash display corresponds with the LH 'normal' 4-bar image in the attached. It's completely consistent on reasonably level ground, I've checked it several times to see whether I could trust it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-05-29-0004.jpg (106.3 KB, 9 views)
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
My 156 TS would give a different level on the dipstick depending which way round you put it in.
If you twisted it, it was different again.

I went for the method that gave the lowest reading, which for that was hatching facing away from me and no twisting.
Fresh clean oil can be very difficult to see. So for that, carefully roll the dipstick on clean tissue/cloth to see the level while being carefull not to tip it up and have it run up the dipstick...
I ground the hatching away on 1 side, which makes the level actually a lot easier to see.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
level , oil , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page