147 - Car Battery Replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

147 - Car Battery Replacement

Folks,
I need some advice.

My battery won't charge any longer as my project car has been sitting too long.
Now cranking the engine is too much for it but does power the internal electrics.
May just be my charger gone wrong but could be just an expired battery.

So my question is, what is the most suitable battery for my car?
I have the 027 model at the moment and it has a 540 CCA and 60Ah capacity.

Replacing for the same is a little costly for what is just a project, could I get away with a less powerful battery like the 063?
In general these are 340 CCA / 40Ah and wondered if these are strong enough for my 2.0 T.Spark engine?

Any suggestions or recommendations on a budge greatfully received

2005/05 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 T.Spark Lusso 846/A Black with partial facelift, working on front end now
2001/51 Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 T.Spark Lusso - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceb View Post
Folks,
I need some advice.

My battery won't charge any longer as my project car has been sitting too long.
Now cranking the engine is too much for it but does power the internal electrics.
May just be my charger gone wrong but could be just an expired battery.

So my question is, what is the most suitable battery for my car?
I have the 027 model at the moment and it has a 540 CCA and 60Ah capacity.

Replacing for the same is a little costly for what is just a project, could I get away with a less powerful battery like the 063?
In general these are 340 CCA / 40Ah and wondered if these are strong enough for my 2.0 T.Spark engine?

Any suggestions or recommendations on a budge greatfully received
No way I would ever use a 340 CCA!

Get a 540 CCA or larger! Do it once, do it right! Otherwise you might be looking for a new battery anyway since 340 CCA really would be pushing things imo
AO Platinum Member

A good 027 battery will be 600CCA, so you already have the cheap option with a lower spec 540CCA version.

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Not worth skimping on really.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

All good advice and I now know which directon I should proceed.
Mind you pushing my 147 project around the drive by hand becomes a great workout!
AO Member

County: -
You'll get best life out one by using an electronic charger regularly. Fit an Anderson plug with weatherproof cap somewhere discreet on the car and then you can top up the battery overnight by only running the 12V cable to the car - handy if it lives outside.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Physically it will probably do it. But it'll shorten battery life considerably.

Lead Acid or Pb batteries are brilliant at kicking out alot of amps in one hit generally. Ie starting a car. Plus lead and acid is cheap.

If you are struggling for cash and don't want to invest. Pop down to a scrap yard and see if they have a large battery knocking around for pennies.

In fact I have a 147 battery that's two years old you can have for 20. It just sits on the optimate keeping it in tact. I was going to put it in the 166 when that battery gives out Or put them both in as there's a huge amount of room for it in the 166 to have two. :-)

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 07-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

thanks Scott, will pickup something local as it looks like some of the 075 models fit too and have a reasonable CCA/Ah.

Didn't realise you came back to Alfa ownership with a 166, well done sir! Did you keep the Punto?

I'm just waiting to buy some butyl tape and then I'll whip off the front wings/bumper and headlights before replacing with a facelift version in the same colour which are sitting in my garage now.....I love doing these things!

Actually I've only driven the 147 once when I purchased and drove home, there is a wheel bearing rumble and the gear change is sloppy - have a replacement selector and cables, just need an exhaust gasket and bolt to move the exhaust before starting bringing her back to life!
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Yep stayed with the brand and always fancied a 166. Must be due to getting older. I bought something slower and less nimble but way more comfy. Definitely a sign of getting older.

But it's a great work horse and I've already clocked up 7k in it.

The punto was sold for a tidy profit after a bit of work on it done by moi. Which was annoying because I sold that and then the clutch went on the 166. So always a fully working little punto paid for the clutch. At the time I wish I'd not sold it at all. As the weather was poor and it meant I had to use the motorbike which was a chore.

Still that's the way the cookie crumbles some times with car ownership.

All a battery needs to be is 12v nominal and with enough ampres to turn the engine over at the end of the day. I've seen people do it with 3 cell Lipo batteries you'd use in remote contol helicopters and cars... Only good for starting it though. You wouldn't want your alternator to charge them. They'd end up in a fireball.

People always say pay good money on things but if its a project. I'd just find something cheap that works. Unless you want said project to last 5 years I wouldn't worry too much.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , battery , car , replacement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page