147 Sport springs troubles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
147 Sport springs troubles

Hello. I bought few months ago a 147 1.9 JTD 16V pre-facelift and it came with ST Lowering springs kit. This model
The car is lowered and handles very well, but on bumps it's just horrendous , a big pothole will make me jump off my seat. Even small ones I can feel very distinctively.
Is this normal or is one of my worries a possibility? Blown shock absorbers due to different spring rate? Any way to diagnose it myself, without removing the shocks/wheels? Srpings appear to be in good condition , but are definitely on their lowest setting. I know I shouldn't expect my Alfa to ride the same as my friend's Peugeot 307 ,but even compared to my parents' Astra , it's god 10 times awful. Any other ideas ,anything else that can cause it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
Lowering does mean harder springs and with that the only thing you can do it get better shocks. but as you said you could have old or failing shocks . ive never used ST springs so not sure how harsh they are but if your thinking of getting new shocks you would be better off getting matching sets
AO Member

What size tyres are on the car?

(Post Link) post #4 of 17 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
What size tyres are on the car?
Hey, 225/45 17 inch wheels. Can they affect the ride quality?
AO Member

No wonder it rides harshly! Great on a smooth, dry road with good quality surface but how many of those are around? (Trivia: Australia probably has worse roads and we can't blame communism.)

Surely the Pug 307 has 15" or 16" wheels?

Sidewall height will play a big part in ride comfort - or the lack of it.
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
No wonder it rides harshly! Great on a smooth, dry road with good quality surface but how many of those are around? (Trivia: Australia probably has worse roads and we can't blame communism.)

Surely the Pug 307 has 15" or 16" wheels?

Sidewall height will play a big part in ride comfort - or the lack of it.
Peugeot has 15" 185's, indeed. On a smooth surface, the ride quality is great, althought wear on the back tires causes some some small noises. Any way around the harsh ride, besides downsizing? The main boulevards have great asphault and the car behaves like a dream , but with a speed limit of 50km/h, it's not like I need the extra grip.
My parents have 16" ,but it still rides less firmly than mine...

I haven't checked tire pressure either, from what I've read that can play a role in comfort too?
For a 17" tire ,35 front , 33 back?

Last edited by tishobg; 06-09-16 at 11:46.
AO Platinum Member

Std 17" size was 215/45R17, so you already have taller tyres then std with your 225/45R17

You could get a more flexible tyre with 205/50R17, which will also be lighter.

Make sure you have the correct tyre pressures too, never be tempted to run lower pressures to try to gain comfort.
AO Member

Downsizing as you call it, would be cheapest I think - someone would buy the 17" wheels, probably for more than the cost of 16" to replace them.

Adjustable (on softest setting) or "comfort" graded shock absorbers is the other way.

I have the factory 16" wheels on my TS and they are harsh enough but not too vague with the extra sidewall height. the 45 profile tyres on another car I have, repeatedly caused problems by letting their wheel become buckled from poor road surfaces. There is not enough height in the sidewall to be a good "cushion".
AO Platinum Member

For the 14-years that I had my 156 Selespeed it was on the original size 205/55R16 and I never felt any need to go bigger.
Bigger would have looked better, but handling on normal roads would have been worse.

My TT however has 225/40R18 and copes very well on that size, better than the 156 did on 16" on rough/uneven roads....

Some platforms just don't work well with big wheels unless you get a very good spring/damper setup.

So if you live in an area with very rough roads, a lowered 147 on 17" is a very long way from ideal!!

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
AO Member

The TT would surely have electronic damping though?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
The TT would surely have electronic damping though?
No.
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just came back from a mechanic - blown shocks on the front , inner CV joints . Total of 350EUR. Bought the car for 1700EUR , and with a thermostat as well in need,turbo hoses and brake pads already changed, selling is my best action I believe. Not directly related to the thread, but your opinion? It's getting to the point where I'll be at 1/3 the price of the vehicle in repairs.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Just came back from a mechanic - blown shocks on the front , inner CV joints . Total of 350EUR. Bought the car for 1700EUR , and with a thermostat as well in need,turbo hoses and brake pads already changed, selling is my best action I believe. Not directly related to the thread, but your opinion? It's getting to the point where I'll be at 1/3 the price of the vehicle in repairs.
The chances of buying a cheap car that needs no servicing or repair work is very VERY low.
Plus, the lower the price of the car, the higher the ratio of repair cost to purchase price will be.
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
The chances of buying a cheap car that needs no servicing or repair work is very VERY low.
Plus, the lower the price of the car, the higher the ratio of repair cost to purchase price will be.
I might go for second hand driveshaft, in good condition, and some shocks of less quality. Price in that case will be around 120EUR.
AO Member

Purchase price is just the "entry fee" to exotic car ownership.

Some of the items you cite, are simple wear, and low impact on other components. Others cost fuel and engine life, some safety.

Winter is coming, thermostat is priority 1. Next is probably wheels and tyres for the colder weather. Driveshafts affect nothing other than themselves when failing, so they are down low on the priority list.

Have you looked at the website "Cars 245" for a range of OEM or equivalent parts? Some of the prices are quite good although I imagine there would be an adjustment to the DDS for incoming goods as Latvia's rate is lower (IIRC).
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 07-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Purchase price is just the "entry fee" to exotic car ownership.

Some of the items you cite, are simple wear, and low impact on other components. Others cost fuel and engine life, some safety.

Winter is coming, thermostat is priority 1. Next is probably wheels and tyres for the colder weather. Driveshafts affect nothing other than themselves when failing, so they are down low on the priority list.

Have you looked at the website "Cars 245" for a range of OEM or equivalent parts? Some of the prices are quite good although I imagine there would be an adjustment to the DDS for incoming goods as Latvia's rate is lower (IIRC).
I'll get the thermostat taken care of. My front blown shocks I can replace for 40EUR a piece , minus the spring. Found a set of standard springs of a second hand car for 40EUR ,for all 4 of them. Might take the plunge, sell the sport springs for 100ish and buy new front shocks and springs all around with the money. Driveshaft , I might wait a bit for that because I can't find a proper one second hand. Seems like a plan for now.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
A harsh ride on rough roads is something you might need to get used to. My 147, when the original owner bought it had a lowered suspension option fitted and the springs are harder than the originals. It also has 17 inch supersport wheels with the standard size tyres on. On rough roads it isn't the best ride in the world, but I prefer a car with a firmer ride anyway. It is the best handling car I have ever owned though and I love it so I don't have a problem with the harsh ride. It has no suspension problems/damage though, passes the MOT overtime.

Never take no for an answer

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , sport , springs , troubles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page