147 facelift back end on preface? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jayceb
  • 1 Post By jayceb

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
147 facelift back end on preface?

Saw a beautiful blue one with a prefacelift front and a facelift. Is this possible to do or is it the other way around? I have a feeling its easier to put the front rather than the back, because the back is connected to the chassis and the front has the fenders you can change that are unconnected to the chassis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
I'd say it's easier to put a facelift rear on a 147. The hatches swap straight over so far as I can see, the bumper fixings are very similar with only the tow eye being different. Quarter panels didn't change.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

I've just re-attached a facelift rear bumper to my pre-facelift 147 yesterday evening (eventually sourced one in the correct colour).
The tail-gate is a straight swap and the bumper will go on but both come with challenges.

What Alfa did on the facelift rear was more than just cosmetic, they updated the rear panel/boot floor to make the boot slightly larger.
This is a bit of a shame for those wanting to do the facelift but still possible.
Rear tailgate bolts straight on however, the lock/catch no-longer lines up and you need to relocate the catch receiver on the back panel (new holes etc).
Next you will notice a one to one half inch gap between tail gate and rear panel and this needs a plate of sort bonded/riveted to the back panel to resolve.
I've been told you need the rubber seal from a facelifted 147 as well but I haven't gotten around to installing the gap panel yet.
You also need the interior trim which fixes to the back panel and surrounds the catch.

As for the bumper, the side mounting points are all fine but the mounting holes along the top face of the bumper do not line up and you need to modify and be creative to fit. There is also an half inch gap between the bumper top face and the back panel which needs some kind of load cover to hide.

Here are some pics which somebody gave me but they're not mine, let me know if you need any more pics as I'm at a good point in the project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bumper5.jpg (64.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150308_142441.jpg (90.8 KB, 9 views)
addo likes this.

2005/05 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 T.Spark Lusso 846/A Black with partial facelift, working on front end now
2001/51 Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 T.Spark Lusso - Sold

AO Member

County: -
That's very interesting! I checked the boot floor part numbers, the inner wheelwell part numbers, the quarter panels - all the same. So they must have made it up with the tweaked beaver panel.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

For the front end, again not so straight forward but hardly complicated.
The wing edges facing the bonnet do not align all the way down towards the bumper, in other words, facelift bonnet does not fit pre-facelift wings.
Also the facelift bonnet is longer at tht front and covers the headlights somewhat.
The front bumpers are not interchangeable without replacing the wings/bonnet and headlights.

You need to remove the butyl seam between wings and a-post with a knife in order to remove existing wings.

the rest is just rusty bolts and patience!
addo likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , back , end , facelift , preface

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page