Please help me AO..you're my only hope! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By joeymannero

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 03-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Please help me AO..you're my only hope!

Hi...just accidentally on purpose bought an Alfa GT offa eBay....I love it...had a 145 clover when I was a teen and have embraced midlife crisis with this impulse buy....it was cheap...54 plate..138k miles...800....engine light on..airbag light on...howling/vibration coming from front end at 50+ mph...handles well tho and no squeaks or knocks...engine seems good..really kicks in at 3000-3500rpm...black smoke puffs when pedal put down hard...exhaust blowing from front end.....sooooo. What I'm after is a reliable service centre in the north east...that won't take my eyes out...I don't think it's a lemon and I have a budget to sort it out...(famous last words!)...I've searched the threads on here and it seems BMC was the last great hope for Alfa owners in the north east...so who's the best around today???
All help/insults will be taken onboard
Cheers

Jon c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Insults? Have you tried WBAC?

Your howling and vibration could be simple as rubbish tyres.

Are there any car washes near you with ramps, so you can jet wash underneath thoroughly this weekend? That would give your chosen garage a flying start on diagnosis, as historic leaks and stains would be eliminated from concern.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply...the front tyres are a bit cracked in the grooves,but this sounds more like bearings...what or where is WBAC??...Can steam clean jetwash underneath once I know where to take it...

AO Member

WBAC are the bunch of aerosols who offer you tuppence for your car: https://www.webuyanycar.com/

If your tyres are cracking, I'd say they are age-hardened, may be developing internal issues and honestly could well be a big part of what you're hearing.

Front wheel bearings aren't too bad to swap out compared with some makes, just watch the ABS sensors of course. While the Alfa front end is a ripper design for roadholding it seems to become affected readily by ageing/slop in a number of its bushing locations.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodinski View Post
What I'm after is a reliable service centre in the north east...that won't take my eyes out..
I'm not in your area so can't recommend a garage, someone from your neck of the woods will hopefully be along soon.... but for now you could have a scan/search here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...endations.html (Independent garage Recommendations)

Maybe also post your garage search question here? North East - Alfa Romeo Forum

Best of luck, hope it all works out brilliantly!
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

156 SW 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodinski View Post
What I'm after is a reliable service centre in the north east...that won't take my eyes out...
I'm not sure exactly where in the North East you are, but your best bet if being willing to travel a little is using Autolusso in Penrith (or at least this side of Penrith for us in the North East) (Autolusso Penrith). If you are travelling from Newcastle or anywhere north it's also a cracking drive over there!

If you don't want to travel, and are close to Newcastle, I've used Lyles before and was very happy (Lyles of Newcastle - About Us).

Would strongly recommend Autolusso though.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
just as an aside, I drove a re-mapped hybrid turbo'd 05 plate today courtesy of littleGTV, a fellow forum member, and at 189k on the clock it pulled like a train!!! so your high mileage is nothing to worry about, the CF3 engine had no swirl flaps either so you have a potentially solid car on your hands when you get the issues sorted.

turbo in that late will either be MAF or MAP sensor or collapsed or leaky vac hoses, or boost leak, the VNT may be sticking as well, the good news is the is is all fixable...it shoulb be in before 2k so its very late boost.

I would highly recommend you get an elm327 and torque app pro on your phone, this will allow you to read codes and may point in the direction sufficiently to tackle some of the easier things yourself.

airbag is most likely a failed/failing connection somewhere or maybe even just a random code generated by an electrical gremlin..you willl need the code cleared at a dealer unless you have a full copy of Multiecuscan or similar...had a similar problem this week with my other Alfa (GTV 2.0 TS) and once the code was cleared it stayed cleared.

the exhaust blow at the front is likely to be the flexi pipe (known common failure point) and replacements are available on ebay for cheap..around http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...3AAlfa+Romeo|M

+1 for Autolusso Penrith ..Dan will get it sorted for you...

good luck.
LittleGTV likes this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
138K is just run in for a diesel .. get a petrol to 210K and you will have had some fun!

I take it this is a diesel? Would help if you told us more ..

Could be all manner of things .. i needs someone who know what they are looking at/for but you can check for the obvious surely? Blowing exhaust, spilt intake and turbo hoses, etc ..
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter

All great advice..thanks chaps...taking it up to a reliable friend in the trade on wed...I regularly head over to rowrah in cumbria for karting so a trip over to Penrith will deffo be on the cards..cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
aoyoure , hope

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page