The search begins... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

The search begins...

So my GT was written off this week and I'm now on the lookout for a new motor. I'm still leaning heavily towards a replacement GT but a couple of alternatives are catching my eye including this...

http://http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604273383243/sort/atcustom/radius/1500/make/abarth/model/grande_punto/page/1/adPos/1/postcode/s702pa/usedcars

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but I feel really drawn in by that Abarth badge. However, a couple of warning signs include the fact this is approximately 1000 cheaper than the other Abarth Punto's I've seen, maybe because of the 100k miles... which brings me to the second concern. This would be a purchase right at the top of my budget, leaving little money for any contingencies and therefore representing a risky buy, especially with that 100k hanging over my head.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is should I stick with my search for a good GT? or does anyone fancy talking me into taking a closer look at the Abarth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Had a punto hire heap, not for me. Have you driven one yet? I suspect it will be a bit of a step down from the GT.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
GT 3.2. Live for the moment.

(Post Link) post #4 of 23 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

If somebody gave me a 3.2, I could put the 3500 towards the first years fuel bill
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
selling mine very shortly, will go up next week, just had 4 new boots last week (toyo T1 sport) and a month ago an SMF and GTA clutch .

ask Loz about the car as he has looked after it.

reason for sale is a hankering for a 3.0 GTV...price will be 5,500, I will put 12 months MOT on it as well. in case you are not aware its one of the hynbrid turbo ones, with a quaife,bilstiens, eibach ARB's and a whole load of other stuff including the confidence inducing swirl flap delete.

bottom line, it's 3.2 quick with diesel economy..

oh, and its a blackline...

PM me if your interested.

It's Busso time ..
(Post Link) post #6 of 23 Old 02-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

This is exactly what I'd hoped for, an enthusiast selling a GT which I could be certain had been well cared for.

Unfortunately it's way out of my budget... appreciate the thought though
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

This one looks impressive! Just my own opinion but I'm a 147 driver, what more can I say!
ALFA ROMEO GT 1.9 JTDM 16v Cloverleaf 2dr Coupe for sale in Norwich | Auto Trader
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepop View Post
This is exactly what I'd hoped for, an enthusiast selling a GT which I could be certain had been well cared for.

Get a loan. This car has been pampered and is way better than a standard GT.

Alternatively, my 2004 156 will be well within your budget. Are you any good at welding?
AO Silver Member

Quote:

I am going to be brutally honest here...

if 5500 is too much then I would steer clear of a GT...they are maintenance heavy TBH

buy one at 3k and it will probably cost you 2k at the first MOT...you have been warned (in a friendly manner...)

just standard maintenance on mine in the last 18 months ( the duration of my ownership ) has seen.

1 ) undersealing
2) full set of brake pads and fluid (fronts are performance friction)
3) new radiator
4) new handbrake cables
5) steering rack replaced
6 ) track rod ends
7) ARB drop links x 4
8) front upper and lower wishbones
9) 4 wheel laser aligment
10) 4 new glow plugs
11) new maf sensor
12) new map sensor
13) new VNT solenoid switch
14) all turbo hoses replaced with stainless steel
15) at least 3 full oil services
16) fuel filter
17) 4 new tyres (last week)
18) 2 new window control units
19) drivers side door handle replaced
20) all bulbs replaced 6 months ago fronts with Osaram nightbreaker extreme.

and I deliberatly have not mentioned the modifications...which are as follows.

hybrid turbo and re-map
quaife lsd
egr delete
swirl flap delete
eibach ARB's
bilstien B12's with eibach springs
single mass flywheel and GTA clutch
connects2 bluetooth system with working SWC
wheels powder coated alfa anthracite ( 3 months ago)
back and silver bonnet,boot,wheel centre caps and steering wheel badges.
Novitec light covers.
simone racing gear knob
cupra front splitter.

all supermarket dents have been professionally removed and the body work is excellent for the age, although not perfect.

all servicing is up to date, with a 12 month MOT there will be NO expense in the next year other than diesel and road tax.

all work has been carried out by either autolusso south or autolusso luton..price will be absolutely non negotiable and if someone doesnt want a 225 BHP 500nm blackline that has been 100% reliable than I will keep it...Ned says there is more to be had with a different map and has been working on it, but TBH it doesn't really need anymore power and is reliable in its current state of tune.

in fact having listed that lot i'm thinking of asking for more..!
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
I am going to be brutally honest here...

if 5500 is too much then I would steer clear of a GT...they are maintenance heavy TBH

buy one at 3k and it will probably cost you 2k at the first MOT...you have been warned (in a friendly manner...)

just standard maintenance on mine in the last 18 months ( the duration of my ownership ) has seen.

1 ) undersealing
2) full set of brake pads and fluid (fronts are performance friction)
3) new radiator
4) new handbrake cables
5) steering rack replaced
6 ) track rod ends
7) ARB drop links x 4
8) front upper and lower wishbones
9) 4 wheel laser aligment
10) 4 new glow plugs
11) new maf sensor
12) new map sensor
13) new VNT solenoid switch
14) all turbo hoses replaced with stainless steel
15) at least 3 full oil services
16) fuel filter
17) 4 new tyres (last week)
18) 2 new window control units
19) drivers side door handle replaced
20) all bulbs replaced 6 months ago fronts with Osaram nightbreaker extreme.

and I deliberatly have not mentioned the modifications...which are as follows.

hybrid turbo and re-map
quaife lsd
egr delete
swirl flap delete
eibach ARB's
bilstien B12's with eibach springs
single mass flywheel and GTA clutch
connects2 bluetooth system with working SWC
wheels powder coated alfa anthracite ( 3 months ago)
back and silver bonnet,boot,wheel centre caps and steering wheel badges.
Novitec light covers.
simone racing gear knob
cupra front splitter.

all supermarket dents have been professionally removed and the body work is excellent for the age, although not perfect.

all servicing is up to date, with a 12 month MOT there will be NO expense in the next year other than diesel and road tax.

all work has been carried out by either autolusso south or autolusso luton..price will be absolutely non negotiable and if someone doesnt want a 225 BHP 500nm blackline that has been 100% reliable than I will keep it...Ned says there is more to be had with a different map and has been working on it, but TBH it doesn't really need anymore power and is reliable in its current state of tune.

in fact having listed that lot i'm thinking of asking for more..!
Would have to agree with Joey on this - spending 3.5K on a GT with no money for contingencies is one huge risk! They really can be a money pit at this level, unless you are very lucky.

Joey's GT is well worth considering IMHO
Chris
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT

Just had a cam belt service and rear anti roll bar bushes done on mine at just under 800. Which brings the total spend on the car to just under 3k in 3 and a half years.
Not what I'd call heavy maintenance costs for a car that does an 80 mile round trip commute 3 days a week.
The car is an 06 plate and has now done 96200 miles.
Mind you it is starting to look a bit tired so was thinking of spending a bit more on refreshing the alloys and the paintwork.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
Just had a cam belt service and rear anti roll bar bushes done on mine at just under 800. Which brings the total spend on the car to just under 3k in 3 and a half years.
Not what I'd call heavy maintenance costs for a car that does an 80 mile round trip commute 3 days a week.
The car is an 06 plate and has now done 96200 miles.
Mind you it is starting to look a bit tired so was thinking of spending a bit more on refreshing the alloys and the paintwork.

you either a) live on a golf course

or b) drive mostly motorway miles..!

most people will not get any more than about 40k out of upper wishbones, and 60k is the best I have heard on the lowers, your car is the perfect example though, I guess it would go for somewhere around 3k, clutch and fly will be due soonish , as will the slave cylinder, if the swirl flaps are still in there it would worry me TBH, especially if you still have the egr in place...lets assume your upper and lower wishbones will also be due soonish..100k is around the time that power train sensors start to need replacing. fuel filter,and a couple of unexpected's and your 3k GT suddenly cost you 5k, and it will still have the swirl flaps (potentially terminal), egr, be 150 bhp,on stock suspension with no quaife.

my point is a 3k GT will almost certainy cost you a few quid in the first year of ownership..

mine won't

simples..
(Post Link) post #13 of 23 Old 02-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

As much as I'd love to own such a great example as your GT obviously is, I simply couldn't stretch to that amount and I'm in no position to obtain a loan to bridge the gap.

It's funny really, I now feel further away from owning another Alfa than ever before. Maybe Alfa ownership isn't conducive with being on a budget and I should go down the same road as the other 99% of the population and buy a VW or Ford.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
As much as I'd love to own such a great example as your GT obviously is, I simply couldn't stretch to that amount and I'm in no position to obtain a loan to bridge the gap.

It's funny really, I now feel further away from owning another Alfa than ever before. Maybe Alfa ownership isn't conducive with being on a budget and I should go down the same road as the other 99% of the population and buy a VW or Ford.

that certainly was not my intention!

but honestly you may have a point..I would not spend 3.5k on a GT if that was my entire budget , as I know it would be to slow in stock form to live with so obligatory egr delete and re-map required, then it's likely the clutch will fail at some point soon after, so there is almost 1k, add a tyre or a few bulbs,some pads or discs and all of a sudden...

I have not even gneo into cambelts Maf's and turbo hoses or suspension!..and it's all completely normal on any diesel car over say 65k mileage which is why so many are sold then, before the big bills hit, I would rather buy a high miler with everything done. MUCH cheaper in the medium and long term.

what you could do is buy a cf3 GT, 04/05 with no flaps..they can be had for as litte as 1500 , but again you are still potentially looking at all the same problems, with one difference.

you have a contingency fund of 2k to deal with it all...

so if it were me I would buy an 04/05 with as much history and evidence of work as you can find, go and look at as many as you can. be prepared to travel, sometimes the ones up in Scotland and the East coast (Norfolk/Suffolk ) can be had for 30% cheaper than down south..

if engine management is on either read the codes before you buy it or walk away, anything power train related could cost 5 or 500 no way of knowing.

if the turbo is whistling, walk away

if it smokes excessively under load without any obvious reason ,walk away

any electrics issues that involve weird gremlins, unless its a really old battery, walk away.

leaky oil cooler or rusted unions, yup walk away.

and this last bit of advice is vital if you want to own any italian car...

get handy with both the spanners and a laptop or phone with some good diagnostics.

this one looks a good shout at the money..

Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDM 16v 2dr

otherwise the Punto you posted look fine to me, as it's petrol no emmisions related stuff like EGR and flaps ,should be quick enough to be fun and looks a really nice little car...

when I sell mine i will replace with a GTV V6, I promise you that there WILL be a contingency fund in place!!! I would rather buy at 3k with 3k left for unexpected work ,than buy for 6k and have to do the ''unexpected'' work anyway...it's just the nature of buying a used car of any marque really, and a bit more so with Alfa.

final point,mileage is pretty irrelevent on the JTD engine, mine has 110k on the clock is pushing out nearly 80 BHP over stock, and is utterly reliable and starts on the first turn of the key every time, so don't be afraid of higher mileages, maintenance is more important for example,no point in buying that red clover at 4500 with 65k on the clock ,as I guarantee you there is 2k worth of bills around a very very close corner...now if it had 85k on the clock I would buy it, as all the big stuff will be done, or it would be off the road.

good luck whatever you decide...
AO Member

County: Kent
Mine is a steal then at 1500
It is petrol
(Post Link) post #16 of 23 Old 03-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

@joeymannero - I confess to treating the words of the experts on this forum almost as gospel and was somewhat discouraged by your original post. However, with the latter advice laid out, It seems like a GT could still be a viable option. The example you picked out is only 15 miles from me and seems well worth a look.

Thank you so much for your help, it's invaluable to someone like myself and very much appreciated
AO Silver Member

Quote:
@joeymannero - I confess to treating the words of the experts on this forum almost as gospel and was somewhat discouraged by your original post. However, with the latter advice laid out, It seems like a GT could still be a viable option. The example you picked out is only 15 miles from me and seems well worth a look.

Thank you so much for your help, it's invaluable to someone like myself and very much appreciated

my pleasure mate, it does look a good one, my advice would be if money is tight, do not re-map it unless you are happy to do the clutch a little sooner than you otherwise would it looks as though its been done from the add so a cheeky 180 map would be fine for a good 50k, do blank the egr and have that mapped out of the software even if you don't go for a performance map,..look for wishbones in the paperwork as well as if you are lucky a radiator and some handbrake cables.

give the underside a thorough inspection paying particular attention to the oil cooler pipes..with your budget of 3.5 k this car leave you 1500 for fettling so if there are some issues its not a disaster..

a rule of thumb on any used car purchase is to spend a maximum of 70% of your overall budget on the car, you are spending a healthy 60% of the budget at asking and clutch and cambelt look to have been done. you may be able to negotiate a 10% discount so with any luck you can walk away with that car for 1800..that leaves plenty in reserve for ''unexected's'' which TBH are entirely to be expected!!

good luck and let us know what you find...

if I was in the market with your budget I would buy that one subject to nothing odd on the test drive.

p.s Flaps! budget to have them out and you should get 250k out of that car... er,..re edit, 05 plate, no flaps...

Last edited by joeymannero; 03-09-16 at 09:36.
(Post Link) post #18 of 23 Old 03-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

I just spoke to the guy selling it and he said he took it p/x for a Brera so maybe the original owner was something of an Alfa enthusiast... anyway, the long and short of it is that he advertised the car yesterday afternoon and has sold it this morning. Based on that, we can only surmise that the car was in great shape and an opportunity has been missed

oh well, I haven't actually received my payout from the insurance yet anyway and I'm in absolutely no rush to buy another, after all, my brother is lending me his weekend car in the meantime... a Porsche Cayman
AO Silver Member

aah, never mind, another will be along shortly.

at least you know what to look for now..
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

This one on the surface looks very nice, yes it's a 1.8 but a Cloverleaf in an amazing colour.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...UAAOSw4shX2FQN
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceb View Post
This one on the surface looks very nice, yes it's a 1.8 but a Cloverleaf in an amazing colour.
Does look great. If you're not too fussed about speed or fuel economy it'd be a good buy from the looks of it.
AO Silver Member

Its nice looking...

But that 1.8 is not very powerful at all!!

Not enough grunt for the GT IMHO
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceb View Post
Give it a test drive, it may surprise you !

Thats a very keenly priced Cloverleaf, but i would check that he's kept on top of maintenance or you could be in for some big bills to get it up to scratch

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
begins , search

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page