Will The GT Diesel become a modern classic? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Will The GT Diesel become a modern classic?

Hi,

Many car magazines are tipping the GT 3.2 (and GTA's) as a good bet to become increasingly valuable in the not too distant future as the last of the real Busso powered Alfas. So called "modern classics" (cars from the 80's, 90,s & 00's) are really hot at the moment and values of some cars have doubled in the last 3 years. For example, a mint, low mileage Peugeot 1.9 GTi recently sold for 32,000!! My question is, will the diesel version of the GT attain this status or is it impossible for a diesel to be a classic car? Bearing in mind that diesel is now the anti-Christ to environmental types (understandably), is it a long term bet or not.

What do you guys and gals think?

Current cars : 2004 GT 3.2 standard + Q2, 2004 2.0 JTS Spider. Previous Italian cars: GTV 3.0 P2 (916), 146ti, Spider 2.0 TS (916) x2, 147 2.0 TS, GT Cloverleaf Jtdm, GT Jtdm (crushed by tractor), Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo, Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Nope. The value may increase over the next few years as they're already so cheap but I would be amazed if they were to ever be considered classics.
AO Member

County: -Leicestershire
Cannot honestly see diesels being classics. Generally ltd edition models and the top spec models that command the good money in a classic car.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
interesting thread...

as I will be selling mine soon I would like to say yes! but honestly can't...sports cars are synonymous with petrol, Ialian sports cars doubly so, I am not sure that that for the last 4 years of GT production alfa didn't have a decent petrol engine to put in it won't hold much sway with the wider public.

The diesel when modified IS the fastest , no doubt, mine, Damien's and |Tunde's are all testament to this. I have driven several 3.2's and a whole host of 3.0 GTV's and my GT is faster, the dervs are also the only GT's to have the cloverleaf badge from the factory even though the 3.2 may be more beffitting of it, but in ''classic circles'' originality is the key and in this respect the derv will fall foul of the rules too as anything that hasn't been breathed on will be a rather pedestrian drive with a 0-60 time of over 9 seconds..and a rather agricultural sounding lump up front.

I just don't quite know the diesel will ''fit'' into any category other than the looks, and even then I think the JTS, as lame a duck as it is will be chosen over a 1.9 as a first ''other viable choice'' in a GT when all the 3.2's are either owned or finacially out of reach. Its worth noting that speed isn't a pre-requisite to a car becoming a classic, but petrol almost always is.

they will rise in value a little as those on the modding scene look for something that is tunable and not one of the usual suspects but eventually they will end up as spare parts to keep the 3.2's and even JTS's on the road.

sad but I suspect true.

from a practicality and performance point of view the diesel is the best ebgine choice in the GT, but as a Classic ?..naah, don't see it.

I would love to be wrong though
130 rosso and Alfa Seltzer like this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

If yours is the only diesel left because everyone poo pooed them because its diesel then yes because there wont be many diesels about, so it'll be rare.
AO Member

County: -Leicestershire
rare isn't classic.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Limited editions are not always classic either - one car maker (might have been Fiat) made so many limited editions of one of its models is actually rarer to find a standard version.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Actually I wondered how modern cars will become classics say 10 to 20 years in the future when eventually all the electronics becomes faulty.

The old mechanical machines with minimal electrics can just keep running with custom made parts. Whereas the modern ones? Custom ECU? There are so many ECUs, not to mention the CAN bus system. So the kind of effort required to re-engineer the whole electronic system might mean the systems will have to be removed to keep running but it is not original anymore?
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Mercedes w123 diesels get better money than their petrol equivalent. Can't see this ever happening with another diesel.
AO Silver Member

By the time dead electrics become a problem we'll most likely have run out of petrol! Diesels not so much as with a few mods they can run on all sorts of junk, especially the older ones.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
By the time dead electrics become a problem we'll most likely have run out of petrol! Diesels not so much as with a few mods they can run on all sorts of junk, especially the older ones.
Petrol motors can be made to run on Alcohol...
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
Quote:
Petrol motors can be made to run on Alcohol...
But why waste good alcohol
Rockhopper, dgmayhead and addo like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
It's fair to say they might one day be a classic, 50 years from now they will. Question is would it be desirable? If you look at classic auctions now you see loads of things like a Morris Marina with 6,213 miles from new, one owner, every document and tax disc with it etc, but every time guess what - it's a 1.3 boggo model in white. Whilst you might have some slight passing respect for a BRG 1.8TC a 1.3 ain't gonna cut it.

All cars will become a 'classic' if they hang around long enough, question is will it be desirable? For me a GT would have to be a 3.2 or a Blackline.

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Nope I don't think it will. Don't even think the 3.2 will as it doesn't have that GTA badge.

I reckon 156 GTA, then 147 GTA then the GT 3.2 will command the higher prices.
But i don't think the GT will reach the classic status than the GTA's will.

my 166 although less than 800 on the road isn't a classic just because its rare. The 3.2 commands a higher price considerably. But again due to it not being of GTA will not make classic status.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Nope I don't think it will. Don't even think the 3.2 will as it doesn't have that GTA badge.

I reckon 156 GTA, then 147 GTA then the GT 3.2 will command the higher prices.
But i don't think the GT will reach the classic status than the GTA's will.

my 166 although less than 800 on the road isn't a classic just because its rare. The 3.2 commands a higher price considerably. But again due to it not being of GTA will not make classic status.
Totally hit the nail on the head I think.
The 3.2 will become massively desirable and as said command a higher price. I have to agree with Scotty though, unless it has the GTA badge it won't be considered a classic.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Sure about that? Dead ABS modules are pretty common. If the engine or gearbox ECU dies and replacements are not easily available anymore, the car probably goes to scrap first.
AO Member

County: Dorset
GT 3.2s will be a classic. Not many sold originally (under 500) so will become rare soon. No they don't have a GTA badge but are a whole car in there own right. GTA's are top of the line version of the 147/156, of which there are many. The GT 3.2 is a proper sports coupe.

But no I don't think a diesel would be considered a classic.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

There's aV6 GT on eBay at for 1800

Time to grab a classic.
AO Platinum Member

That the red one with 140k?

Tempting...

.....unless you had to pay for wedding or summat.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
have looked at that myself but at that mileage...a top end rebuild is likely to be required as well as a whole host of suspension work.

by the time you factor in bringing up to standard you will have paid 4k + for a 140k GT.

plenty of much lower mileage examples in better nick with many less miles for that figure..

am going Busso next but it will be in a GTV. the 3.0 is a lot less agg than the 3.2 especially a late CF2 with a 6 speed box, and it will be nice to have only one set of wishbones to replace every 5 minutes...!!

find one with the rear suspension already polybushed and you are good to go..
(Post Link) post #21 of 33 Old 02-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post

Tempting...

Not. The GT 3.2s that will become valuable in the future will be mint, unmodified, fully historied, low mileage, few owner cars. That's virtually the law with respect to future classics. That one is only good for parts. There is a 24,000 mile car on Autotrader for 9750. That's the one to buy, garage and use lightly. You lose no money in depreciation in the short term and it will surely rise in value in the long term.
AO Platinum Member

Depends what you want to do with. Use it and enjoy it or Molly-coddle it and fret over it every time it rains/you drive it/you park it somewhere etc.

I'd like my GTA wagon to be a classic but it has to work for a living.

That 'knackered' GT would be a hoot.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post

Tempting...

Its an utter shed judging from the pics someone posted on Alfabook... You could just buy it and bray the arse off it but I have a feeling there will be a big bill pending and all of a sudden it won't be a cheap GT anymore.
AO Silver Member

Mileage and history are key if you are expecting a classic car to be worth something in the future.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I think the GT will become a classic for sure. Diesels may be less desirable but will still have the classic status.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
classic , diesel , modern

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page