reviving the 100 156 - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #76 of 77 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.0 T Spark

Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Cheap sensor = junk

There are 4 wires as essentially it is two sensors in one. One gives the ECU a temp reading, the other powers the gauge in the car. These sensors can fail in different ways - if the part that the ECU relies on goes open circuit it will give you a fault code and an engine management light will come on. But if the part that drives the gauge goes wrong, it won't give a fault, just cause gauge misbehaviour. I've seen the part that the ECU relies on go wrong before and report ridiculously low coolant temp - like minus 5 degrees or something, and it made the car in question overfuel and splutter but with no errors.

Also the plugs on the loom that plug into the temp sensor can go dodgy - I've seen the ends of the wires all green with corrosion and changed a good few of these plugs in my time. Usually they give an intermittent connection which causes the gauge to flicker up and down like a mad thing but your high gauge temp could be being caused either by that Cambiare sensor or equally by a dodgy connection.
I did wonder, is there a good brand that you would recommend, please?

My EML didn't light up with either sensor fitted and the car itself is performing very well regardless of which sensor is fitted (by "very well", I mean it will rev to 7500rpm quite happily at 80mph in 3rd & still feel like there is loads left to give).
My inclination is to leave the old sensor in for now, get some miles on her & get a feel for her. I have a small concern that she might be over-fuelling/excessive fuel consumption, getting a few miles under her belt will give an indication there.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I would go with the old sensor too. See how you get on.

They're not great on fuel to be honest, my Twinspark struggles to do 30mpg.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , reviving , 100