reviving the 100 156 - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 26Likes

(Post Link) post #76 of 87 Old 08-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV 2.0 T Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Cheap sensor = junk

There are 4 wires as essentially it is two sensors in one. One gives the ECU a temp reading, the other powers the gauge in the car. These sensors can fail in different ways - if the part that the ECU relies on goes open circuit it will give you a fault code and an engine management light will come on. But if the part that drives the gauge goes wrong, it won't give a fault, just cause gauge misbehaviour. I've seen the part that the ECU relies on go wrong before and report ridiculously low coolant temp - like minus 5 degrees or something, and it made the car in question overfuel and splutter but with no errors.

Also the plugs on the loom that plug into the temp sensor can go dodgy - I've seen the ends of the wires all green with corrosion and changed a good few of these plugs in my time. Usually they give an intermittent connection which causes the gauge to flicker up and down like a mad thing but your high gauge temp could be being caused either by that Cambiare sensor or equally by a dodgy connection.
I did wonder, is there a good brand that you would recommend, please?

My EML didn't light up with either sensor fitted and the car itself is performing very well regardless of which sensor is fitted (by "very well", I mean it will rev to 7500rpm quite happily at 80mph in 3rd & still feel like there is loads left to give).
My inclination is to leave the old sensor in for now, get some miles on her & get a feel for her. I have a small concern that she might be over-fuelling/excessive fuel consumption, getting a few miles under her belt will give an indication there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I would go with the old sensor too. See how you get on.

They're not great on fuel to be honest, my Twinspark struggles to do 30mpg.
(Post Link) post #78 of 87 Old 07-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 T Spark

Been smoking about in this car for a few days now, put about 200 miles on it. What a performer, handles the twisty stuff well and is a dream to drive on the motorway.
No major issues other than a whistle at speed (the drivers door seal looks like it's been attacked by a dog who's bitten chunks out of it) and a "clonk" from the front right now and again
The clonk sounds like a worn bush, bigger bumps or dips in the road surface will influence it. I had a look under there while changing the oil & filter and couldn't see anything obviously worn, any hints or tips? Whatever it is causing that clonk, it's not affecting the handling.
Still not changed the tyres yet, the rears need doing first, I think a pair of Nexen's will find their way on. I've had them on my MGF for a year now, no issues with them.

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Clunk is usually drop links (easy fix) or roll bar bushes (difficult). If it the roll bar then i'd leave it untill you have another good reason to be removing the sub-frame.
AO Silver Member

And if it's not the anti roll bar it'll probably be one of the ball joints.
(Post Link) post #81 of 87 Old 15-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 T Spark

still clunking but nothing has fallen off (yet)

EML came on last night, and was on again this morning. The temp guage is also reading erratically, while the car itself performed faultlessly during the 60 minute/28 mile commute into Bristol. After my new-but-crap temp sensor was replaced with the old-but-possibly-shagged temp sensor, I suspect I shall have to seek out an OEM temp sensor for her.
(Post Link) post #82 of 87 Old 15-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 T Spark

this lead any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MultiECUSc...EAAOSwjVVVoRJk

if not, which one do I need for a 2000 model 156 2.0 T Spark?
(Post Link) post #83 of 87 Old 15-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 T Spark

stand down! a wiggle of the wires turned the EML off

I wish my X1/9 was as cheap & easy to fix as this
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
which wires? I want to give those a wiggle on mine!
sneaker likes this.
(Post Link) post #85 of 87 Old 17-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 T Spark

So that's 1000 trouble free miles in her. Just done a second oil change, there was no history of a recent one, so I changed the oil and filter, ran her for the 1000 miles and changed it again. It should be flushed by now and certainly sounds a lot quieter.

I picked up a couple of good used tyres via a forum member (cheers Karl!) along with a complete thermostat & temp sender. My temp guage is still erratic although the car herself never actually gets hot, so i'll change the whole lot over for the good used set up and see if that brings the gauge into line with reality.

The front suspension is still clonking but not badly. I had a mooch under there while changing the oil filter and couldn't see anything obviously shagged out. I'll just turn the stereo up to cover it...
maxiboy wales likes this.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

100 quid supercar

What a story !!! you got the old lady happy again.....congratulations !!!!!!
(Post Link) post #87 of 87 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 T Spark

well, the dream is over.
Driving home yesterday and the car was noticeably down on power, running lumpily, it developed a rattle from the top end and then the oil pressure light came on.

I managed 6000 miles in her, for a total outlay (including purchase price of 227. Hard to grumble, and I'll be on the look out for another one (probably a better one!) later this year.

Final question, she has half a tank of fuel in her. Searching the forum shows that the best way to get this out is to bridge the fuel pump relay. I'm guessing that a hose/pipe needs to come off the engine somewhere (so you can fill your cans), which hose/pipe would this be & where can I find it?

Oh, and for sale; 156 Alfa Romeo, may need some engine work... :-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , reviving , 100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page