Is this a normal MPG? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tishobg
  • 1 Post By bazzbazz

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Is this a normal MPG?

Hello. I have an 2003 Alfa 147 1.9 JTD 16V (the 140HP version). I drive mainly in the city.
According to my trip computer, the MPG i'm getting is 56 = 5l/100km, which is perfect. But.... when actually driving, from 2160km to 2248km I've noticed I lost a whole partition on the fuel gauge. By simple math, with a tank of 60l, a partition should equal to 7.5l. 88km = 7.5l would put me at about 8l/100km or 35MPG city driving. I usually drive with a light foot, but I do floor it from time to time. Filling up 16 litres of fuel equaled to exactly 2 partitions and a bit, so my math is correct.
My car has an open thermostat and a probably very dirty EGR valve. Tires are 17inch, 225/45.
Is what I'm getting realistic or is there something wrong with it? 45MPG city driving was what I was expecting.
Are my mechanical problems a possible reason for this bad of an MPG? I can't brim the tank and do the test that way, no money to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

I think your expectations of economy are off target. 5/100 is realistically what you might get from a new technology petrol engine (direct injection, pressure aspirated, just run in).

A failing thermostat will add to fuel consumption and feeling of less power, especially as the day cools.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
I think your expectations of economy are off target. 5/100 is realistically what you might get from a new technology petrol engine (direct injection, pressure aspirated, just run in).
6.5/100 is what I am glad to accept. 8/100 on the other hand seems steep. My usual temp is between 60 and 80.
AO Member

Try sorting the thermostat first, then EGR - delete if possible from the ECU mapping. It may get you much closer to your goal.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
...I've noticed I lost a whole partition on the fuel gauge. By simple math, with a tank of 60l, a partition should equal to 7.5l.
You can't accurately calculate MPG like that. The gauge isn't accurate enough.
To do it properly, brim the tank, reset the trip, drive, brim the tank again and note the mileage.
Then you've got genuine accurate Litres and Miles. Work it out from there.

A failed thermostat won't be helping though.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
I totally approve of shoe string motoring but if you can't afford to brim the tank to calculate the mpg then it's unlikely you will be able to afford the cost of the routine maintenance required in order for the car to perform correctly.
A new thermostat is around £60 and will take around 1 hour to fit. You'll also need a couple of litres of coolant to top up. It will take quite a few miles to recoup this expense in saved fuel. If the heater can still muster some warm air I'd leave it until your financial situation improves.
Alternatively, I believe a Renault 4 thermostat for less than £5 will squeeze into the top radiator hose. This should pay for itself within a couple of tanks of diesel.
Good luck.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
6.5/100 is what I am glad to accept. 8/100 on the other hand seems steep. My usual temp is between 60 and 80.
If the temperature fluctuates between 60 and 80 during in-town driving, that indicates a failed or failing thermostat.
In slow driving, the temperature should rise to the 90 degree line quickly and then only fluctuate slightly, and only fall to roughly 70 degrees when going at speed.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I can't brim the tank and do the test that way, no money to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
I totally approve of shoe string motoring but if you can't afford to brim the tank to calculate the mpg then it's unlikely you will be able to afford the cost of the routine maintenance required in order for the car to perform correctly.
Exactly.
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 30-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Exactly.
And I totally agree with you all. I had an agreement with my parents where once I end my summer job, they would help. Well, they're not helping. I'm 18 and I'm doing my best at maintaining the car with quality parts. I've changed brake pads, turbo hoses, bought the actual car, paid some of my annual insurance and the road tax myself. With thermostat, EGR clean, a knackered CV joint, gas prices through the roof, I just can't drop 70EUR for a full tank. In my currency, that equals 140 leva. My salary was 700. Bulgaria is a poor country.

You probably would now tell me to sell the car, but I enjoy driving too much to do so.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
And I totally agree with you all. I had an agreement with my parents where once I end my summer job, they would help. Well, they're not helping. I'm 18 and I'm doing my best at maintaining the car with quality parts. I've changed brake pads, turbo hoses, bought the actual car, paid some of my annual insurance and the road tax myself. With thermostat, EGR clean, a knackered CV joint, gas prices through the roof, I just can't drop 70EUR for a full tank. In my currency, that equals 140 leva. My salary was 700. Bulgaria is a poor country.

You probably would now tell me to sell the car, but I enjoy driving too much to do so.
I feel your pain.
I still cry myself to sleep because my mum and dad never got me a pony when I was 7. *******s.
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 30-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
I feel your pain.
I still cry myself to sleep because my mum and dad never got me a pony when I was 7. *******s.
Not sure what you're implying. Expecting some help from my parents at the age of 18 isn't anything i'm ashamed of. I worked my *** off to get in a good uni , while working the whole summer to be able to afford the car. Kill me I don't have tons of money at my disposal for brimming the tank at any given point.
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Silver Member

Just guessing your parents aren't loaded either so they probably look out for you as best they can. Having an Alfa as your first car is pretty cool. Keep working your arse off as everybody else does too.
AO Silver Member

Also google the Renault thermostat thing it could save you a few Euros.
AO Member

County: Queensland
Quote:

Don't feel too bad, and you're not alone. They may not admit it but I bet 90% of everyone on this site were in the same situation as yourself with there first car . . . . and I bet they weren't lucky enough to be driving an Alfa Romeo more likely some rust bucket Corolla or worse . . . .a Vauxhall Vectra!

Just take care of what you can, when you can, when you can afford to. (the advice on the Thermostat first is spot on)

Never give in, never give up, never say die!

And like I do, every time you drive that thing just say to yourself "I'm driving an ALFA ROMEO!"
Just makes it all worthwhile, don't it.

Baz
dgmayhead likes this.

Patty - 2004 Alfa 156 2.0JTS Sportwagon

Ruby - 2000 Alfa 156 2.0 TS Selespeed with Sports Pack
(Eibach 2.5 Lowering Springs)
(Bilstein Sports Dampers )
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzbazz View Post
Don't feel too bad, and you're not alone. They may not admit it but I bet 90% of everyone on this site were in the same situation as yourself with there first car . . . . and I bet they weren't lucky enough to be driving an Alfa Romeo more likely some rust bucket Corolla or worse . . . .a Vauxhall Vectra!

Just take care of what you can, when you can, when you can afford to. (the advice on the Thermostat first is spot on)

Never give in, never give up, never say die!

And like I do, every time you drive that thing just say to yourself "I'm driving an ALFA ROMEO!"
Just makes it all worthwhile, don't it.

Baz
Had a lot of buyer remorse, I won't lie. There was this one moment which was a turning point for me. I passed slowly next to a guy in a Brera. We both started staring at each other's car and once our eyes met, we both knew we are driving something special. It might be insanely stiff with the sport springs it's equipped, it might have it's faults, but It's not a soul-less chunk of metal.
I might not have a lot of money, but I still opt for the best in quality parts. Got a great 5W-40 oil, great set of filters. I saved money by installing them myself. Thermostat is a Behr. My parents have an Astra H , 1.7CDTI. Sorry, but that car is so dull I can't even put it into words.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
mpg , normal