J&R Driveshafts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
J&R Driveshafts

Just been under the GT doing some brake bleeding and noticed the inner cv boot split nearside. Been getting some vibration at 70 ish so im guessing this is probably the culprit.
Anyways seen J&R driveshafts on the bay for 50 quid!!?? Seems well cheap. Anyone have first hand experience? Google shows mixed reviews but mostly ok from Alfa owners
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
I found J & R on e-bay and thought the same when I needed a drive shaft for my 156 jtd last June with the same symptoms as yours - espcially as I'd expected very little change from 300 looking at other sources. What's more for the jtd the kit had short shaft, spider joint (the expensive and worn bit) AND a CV joint and guarantee for 60.

Took the plunge and gave them a call... OK, the guy I spoke to could have done with a few sessions at 'charm school', but me being from Yorkshire I could get his directness. The part was ordered 9am, arrived the next day and I fitted it the day after that. All problems cured!

Unfortunately, (yes the but), I cannot comment on the longevity compared to OEM parts asin Feb this year some (female) Volvo driver remoulded the boot of that 156 by running into it when I was stationary at lights and wrote it off. That said, If my current 156 needs the same, I have J&R's phone number in my phone.

Hope that says enough for you...
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

cheers for the feedback. Ive bitten the bullet and ordered both shafts of their site for 102 quid! Seems like a bargain. Figured if i save my old shafts if there are any probs in the future i should have plenty of CVs etc to repair
AO Member

County: -
I got a J&R Driveshaft 18 months and 30K miles ago for my GT, still no problems.
Even if it failed now I'd fit another, as the saving over the original part is so great that it would still be cheaper in the long run.
AO Member

County: Greater London
I've been looking at these also. So good to hear some positives about them.
I've been searching this site and can't find a guide to fitting, with torque setting etc. Anyone know of a guide?
AO Member

County: -
I don't know if you've crossed this bridge yet, but my 36mm deep (Koken) socket needed fine tuning to fit the hub counterbores around the driveshaft end nuts. A taper was carefully ground to the outer edge, from about 10mm off the end it came in around 1.5mm at the tip with a light bevel then added to blend the new line.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Ive not long had both driveshafts from J&R, been fitted for a couple of weeks now. Great price, speedy delivery, however.......... I now have an inbalance somewhere. Wheels were fine before the shafts were fitted, will hopefully have them checked at the end of this week, really hoping its not the shafts!!
AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
Garage
I've been using them fro driveshafts and cv joints for a good few years now for various cars and never had a issue with them or their products. Not sure how they managed to do their products quite so cheap but long may they continue.

Fitted a new set of drive shafts to my 156 diesel last year and they've done about 20k with no problems.

You'll need a thin wall 36mm socket to get the driveshaft nut off or modify a 'normal' one.
AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairlever View Post
I've been looking at these also. So good to hear some positives about them.
I've been searching this site and can't find a guide to fitting, with torque setting etc. Anyone know of a guide?
not sure if there is a guide on here, have you tried the alfa workshop website? Best bet would be to download a copy of 'elearn' as this has all the workshop routines on with torque figures etc...
AO Member

Well the imbalance on these shafts is now horrendous. Thinking they need to come off. I take it everyone else's have/are still fine?
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

little update, recieved these last week but one was wrong. Sent me a nissan one! Called them Friday to explain and they shipped the right one Monday. Going to fit Saturday if I get chance and will update but was happy with how they resolved the issue quickly
AO Member

Well after a week of trying to speak to someone about the driveshafts they've have finally decided to send me some replacement shafts. Hopefully these will be better than the first ones. It's safe to say the staff are polite but as much use as a chocolate teapot. Apparently the sales team have no way of contacting the technical team...... unless you repeatedly bug them!
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
Do JnR do the inner cup and spider?
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 10-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just the complete shaft. But at 50, it's potentially worth buying a complete shaft just for the cup and tripod.
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post
Do JnR do the inner cup and spider?
The J&R inner cup & tripod is different to the Alfa one, I don't think you'd be able to use the J&R cup/tripod bearing on the Alfa driveshaft.
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

ah my bad.... not really had chance to look at them yet so just assumed they would be same

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
driveshafts , jandr