147 Cooling Fan - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TRIUMPHGAS3

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter

147 Cooling Fan

Good evening and as a new forum member I hope I am posting this in the correct area. I have read a number of threads about cooling fan problems but not my specific problem so please forgive me if this is going over old ground.

The car is an Alfa Romeo 147 (1,600cc) 2007 model ... I have recently found that the cooling fan is not operating correctly. Having carried out a number of checks, I have narrowed the problem down to where the main power connector plugs into the fan motor housing. When the fan is not operating, if I pull the connector plug out of the socket and lightly re-position to make a contact back into the socket, the fan operates as it should. However, if the plug is left connected properly, the fan does not seem to operate the next time. Clearly there is a problem with the connection but my query is whether the problem is more likley to be with the connector plug or something within the motor housing? As the fan will operate correctly at times, I assume that the problem is unlikely to be with the relay or resistor?

Any thoughts would be great. Malcolm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Welcome to the forum......

Tricky problem to diagnose remotely, an an unusual one....It almost sounds as though the problem is in the wiring loom, with a possible broken wire that only makes intermittent contact - perhaps when its disturbed. Only real way to check is with an electrical tester, I would think.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
and make sure all wires are (still) crimped properly in the connector, by pulling the wires....

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter

147 Cooling Fan

Many thanks for the responses so far and I will carry out further checks but just a quick update.

I played around some more this morning with the connector plug to experiment. With the engine switched on and a/c on there was no fan, so I unplugged the connector and repositioned. The fan then cut in. I then drove the car for about 6/7 miles and on checking under the bonnet, the fan was still operating. I turned the a/c off and once the temperature had risen above 90 degrees the fan cut in again. I then switched the ignition off. At this stage I had not touched the connector or wiring since the repositioning mentioned above. When I started the engine again and turned a/c on, no fan! Pulled connector plug out again and repositioned and fan cut in.

It is almost as though the "sudden" connection does the trick but only for a short while.

Just a thought, is it possible that the resistor is working intermittently? I am wondering whether to buy one and try it anyway.

Thanks again. Malcolm.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Also check the connector carefully.
I think the socket has spades/pins and the plug has receptacles to accept the spade?
Some of the connector problems come down to the fact that the receptacles can get deformed and makes intermittent contact. If that is the case you may need to bend the receptacle slightly so that it 'bites' the spades/pins better.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 03-09-16 Thread Starter

Update - 147 Cooling Fan

Just a quick update on this cooling fan problem. I've now double checked the relays and fuses and am pretty confident they are ok unless it is possible to have an intermittant fault with the relays! Also, I changed the resistor for a new one but this made no difference. I'm also pretty confident that the correct messages are getting through to the fan to cut in at the appropriate times.

Therefore, we are back to to the main power connector to the fan whereby I have found that I can slightly wiggle the connection and the fan will kick in (with a/c on) and then cut in and out as required. However, if I turn a/c off or turn the engine off, more than likely the fan will not operate until I wiggle the connection again. I can't see any problem with the connector plug itself and it seems a tight fit. I am coming to the conclusion that the fault is in the housing for the connector plug within the fan assembly itself and it is the action of moving that slightly that gets the fan going.

So, next stage I propose to remove the fan .... looks fairly starightforward other than access to the lower passenger side retaining bolt ... presume I need to remove air filter box to get to that? Is there anything else to look out for?

Many thanks. Malcolm.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter

Cooling Fan Final Update

Well after several weeks of pondering this cooling fan problem I am pleased to say that all now seems to be good.

The problem was obviously within the fan motor itself, causing intermittant failure as with a replacement fan all seems to be operating as it should.

Fortunately I managed to source a second hand fan @ 20 which is a bargain (hopefully) compared to the new Alfa parts price of approx 250 plus VAT!

Anyway thanks again for any comments and I guess it is on to the next problem!

Cheers, Malcolm.
jwq likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , cooling , fan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page