New Alfa Blues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By boringoldgituk
  • 1 Post By addo

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Berkshire
Garage
Cry Like A Baby New Alfa Blues

First of all I'd like to say thanks for the add and a big hello to everybody on here on what seems like quite a friendly forum. I'm new to alfa's having bought a 2005 147 and was ok with her on the first couple of days but seemed low on power and the ussual suspension bushes gone (easy fix) but otherwise quite pleased. Then on my first slightly long trip out to take my son for a preop appointment got about 4/5 miles then a nice bang from under the bonnet followed by quite a large blue puff of oil out the exhaust so pulled up and decided one off the plugs has been blown out. So on the phone to the new breakdown company (only been a member 27 hours) and they got us home. Had a look and it seems just the top part of the plug has broken off above the thread leaving the threaded part in the head and quite a horrible mess of the rocker cover and coil pack. I know alfa's have always had a "reputation" but being an ex mechanic working on cars doesnt bother me it would have been nice though to at least get 100 miles before having good issues to deal with LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160820_150813.jpg (204.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20160820_170349.jpg (64.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20160820_170358.jpg (27.4 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Welcome - and hard luck! Pretty unusual fault - I've run TS-engined Alfas for 15 years or more and never had that happen. I suspect the previous owner had bodged something.......

Its quite common for a badly fitted cam-cover seal, and/or sloppy oil top-ups, to lead to oil getting into the spark-plug wells, and that can cause misfires which could give the issue you've had.

If you give us a rough idea of where in the country you are we can probably recommend someone local to assist if needed.

Don't lose faith with Alfa just yet

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thank's I'm in Ascot, Berkshire.

I know this is down to a bodganic in nearly thirty years I've never come across a plug breaking like that. I've cleaned out all the debris now and I can see straight down to the piston and the spark tange is still in position so hopefully the plug's core went straight up and out without any falling down into the cylinder. All I got to do now is to try and get the thread from the spark plug out a new coil pack and plugs and hope everything is good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160820_170643.jpg (189.5 KB, 17 views)
Club Member

County: Cumbria
I've had luck with tapping a flat-head screwdriver into the threaded part and winding it out. I think over-torquing the spark plug is likely what caused it to snap. The plug torque settings are surprisingly low. You will need a used rocker cover and new gasket too by the looks of it, as well as the plugs and coil packs.

Make sure all 8 plugs are NGK, not Bosch or Denso etc.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Update: Got busy with the stud extractors this morning and the remaining plug came out nicly and no damage it seems on the head but as I didnt know about any other engine and not wanting to spend lots on something that may well be dead A phone call to my local breakers and they got a plentyfull supply off alfas so a new (old) coil pack was had for a mere 10 and 18 one just one new spark plug (I remember buying a full set for that much years ago) did a compression test and got 195 to 198PSI over the four pots so put it all together and it's fine again
sizewell and chrishendrix like this.
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Thats pretty strong compression, sounds like a good engine.
AO Member

County: -
Just checking as the overall coil pack mounting bracket in your first photo doesn't show the trio of securing screws - they were fitted, weren't they?

Asking because if not, I can certainly imagine the jiggling of coil packs snapping a plug.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
Just checking as the overall coil pack mounting bracket in your first photo doesn't show the trio of securing screws - they were fitted, weren't they?

Asking because if not, I can certainly imagine the jiggling of coil packs snapping a plug.
Hello the bolts were there I had already taken them out before I decided to take a few pics
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Thats pretty strong compression, sounds like a good engine.
i was going to be asking about the compresion I should expect to find so thanks for that but unfortunatly the compression might be good but so far I've only just managed to get it to 70 on a nice flat straight road and it took forever to get there so something is quite wrong with it somewhere just gotta figure out what now. Need a descent workshop manual and a few hours off work without the kids
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Just thought I'd share a picture of the bit off spark plug that was left in the head after it came out very nicly and luckily the thread in the head was still ok
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160827_111307.jpg (41.9 KB, 4 views)
AO Member

County: -
If it's soggy in acceleration, I'd put quids on the cats being history.
boringoldgituk likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , blues