GT diesel - three years / 60k mile report - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By _The_Editor_

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Trader

County: -

Member car:

GT Blackline

GT diesel - three years / 60k mile report

I bought my 2008 GT Blackline diesel three years ago when the running costs of 20,000 miles a year on a heavily modded Fiat Coupe became silly. I bought it cheap (just over £4k) as it had 150,000 miles on the clock. I knew that with that mileage, a biggish bill was an inevitability and I have always been prepared to call it a day and send it to the breakers if repair became too expensive. However, despite trying very hard not to get too attached to it, I've failed and I rather like the rattly old beast.

In the three years I've had it, I've put another 62,000 miles on it, so its now on 212,000 and still going strong. In those three years its had the following:-

New top & bottom front wishbones as soon as I had it, inc droplinks and ARB bushes
Re-con turbo
Secondhand shocks & springs
clutch & flywheel
remap & EGR delete
Terraclean
Rear suspension arms x4
Cambelt and water pump (twice)

Its now desperately in need of upper wishbones again, but I'm told that 60,000 miles isn't a bad mileage from them. I'm also just about to fit a pair of secondhand driveshafts after the inner joint developed a huge amount of play and a serious vibration at anything above 70mph.

The aspect that prompted this post was the fact that I've monitored the fuel consumption since I had it and despite the fairly hefty mileage, the stats are as follows:-

Exactly 100 tanks of fuel (always a full tank)
5,859.3 litres
£7,270 spent
12.2p per mile
Average 46.3mpg

So - with 212,000 miles on it, how long does it have left? Do these old diesel lumps go on forever? Whilst I've been promising myself a "nice car" (Merc CLS 320CDi, Audi A8 3.0TDi, BMW 535D etc) for the daily commute up and down the M42, I'm beginning to think that the smart thing to do is just keep running the GT until it dies. I'm pretty certain I'd struggle to sell it now anyway, so I might as well hang onto it

So - my first Alfa is a rattly, smoky old diesel, and I'm still hooked.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
I think most people on here are gonna suggest running it into the ground,
probably not just because we want you to stay here, but more due to the mileage and your current spend on the car.
It would be interesting to see how far you can get with it, with continued proper maintenance, rather than running until it dies though.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
See if you can hit 300k Thats what I'm aiming for in my 10v which has recently had all 4 front wishbones, clutch, Q2, 6-speed box conversion, GTA shifter, new Koni FSDs & Eibach springs, GTA front roll bar, Eibach rear roll bar, GTA multispokes, driveshafts re-greased & re-booted etc etc etc. With the remap & 6-speed gearbox it is an animal and yet still does almost 50mpg on a run and about 40mpg locally.

Has your GT been de-swirl-flapped out of interest?

(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Trader

Member car:

GT Blackline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Has your GT been de-swirl-flapped out of interest?
No idea - the inlet manifold has never been off. I'd be amazed if all the flaps are still intact, but as it drives well, I can't be bothered to check....
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Trader

Member car:

GT Blackline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret-ears View Post
It would be interesting to see how far you can get with it, with continued proper maintenance, rather than running until it dies though.
It will definitely be maintained properly - working part-time at Motormech means I can maintain it properly at very reasonable cost. I will continue to spend what is required until I get a bill that's bigger than the value of the car. Ultimately, the only thing that will cause the car to be scrapped is a dead engine or terminal corrosion - neither are an issue at the moment.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Ah so you're the NigelO on Fuelly that keeps updating their '08 Blackline like I do..

I've been keeping a sly eye on your car profile to benchmark mine against!

Similar to yourself, I'm doing silly motorway millage (about 36k per year I reckon)... Getting slightly better MPG on average, but I've had a few tweaks here and there....

Bought mine with 32k on the clock a touch less than 2 years ago, and I've just ticked over 97k this week.. Driving as well as the day I bought it! Better in fact since the EGR is gone, swirl flaps gone, front cat gone, and has a remap...

I'm aiming for 300k miles before I get rid of her!
Pud237 and ALFADOIT like this.

(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Trader

Member car:

GT Blackline

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Ah so you're the NigelO on Fuelly that keeps updating their '08 Blackline like I do.
Yup - that's me!

You must be doing less A-road work than me - my daily commute is about 5 miles of suburban, 5 miles of open A road, 10 miles of dual carriageway and 15 miles of M42. When the traffic is light, as it has been during the school holidays, I can easily get over 50mpg for the entire commute. On a bad day, with stop-start traffic and 5 minute queues for every roundabout and traffic light, I can get low 40s.

If I chill out and slipstream the trucks, I can often see mid-60s and even low 70s for the first 20 miles of the return journey, all on the M42

Looks like our best-ever tank is pretty similar, but your all-time average is 3mpg better than mine.

Have you had yours Terracleaned yet?
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
10 miles of A-Road, 70 miles of Motorway, 0.5 miles of A-Road.... About as simple and easy as you could wish for! Dead easy to pick up 60+ mpg tucked in behind the National Express... But when the mood takes me I'll be found hooning it down the outside lane too...

Never Terracleaned... I do have a new/refurbed inlet manifold fitted and EGR blanked, so no crud built up on the inlet side... I did at one point run a regular Diesel Rhino / Archoil / Wynns fuel treatment through, but tbh I never saw any difference... Fuel filter gets changed every 12k and the old one looks pretty damned clean every time... so must be doing something right!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
10 miles of A-Road, 70 miles of Motorway, 0.5 miles of A-Road.... About as simple and easy as you could wish for! Dead easy to pick up 60+ mpg tucked in behind the National Express... But when the mood takes me I'll be found hooning it down the outside lane too...

Never Terracleaned... I do have a new/refurbed inlet manifold fitted and EGR blanked, so no crud built up on the inlet side... I did at one point run a regular Diesel Rhino / Archoil / Wynns fuel treatment through, but tbh I never saw any difference... Fuel filter gets changed every 12k and the old one looks pretty damned clean every time... so must be doing something right!
Great thread.

Lovely honest account. Said it before and i will say this again. These GT pulls your heart strings as much as unzipping your wallet.. I plan on keeping mine for the long term. I am regularly under my GT checking this and modifying that, and keeping on top of stuff, cleaning the under chassis. I had the induction piping apart again last night to do some airbox mods and fit a new silicone hose. And i was amazed how clean the pipework was. This being my crankcase vent to exhaust and not pumping gunk and fumes back into the turbo hose. And the fitting of my water meth injection which is keeping her spotless! Hopefully the manifold too. I say this to a view to keeping her running as efficiently as possible for as long as possible.

Damien.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 29-08-16 at 02:00.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
60k , diesel , mile , report , years

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page