Radweld or WTF? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Radweld or WTF?

Came home last night to see my GT sitting in a puddle of coolent. I have just refitted the water pump, replaced the radiator (Which was leaking) and refilled the system with coolent but it hasn't been ran yet as I still need to refit the timing belt.

The leak was from the coolant manifold under the thermostat on the connector that goes to the lower radiator outlet which is odd as I hadn't touched that area. I removed the hose and the fitting was covered in what appears to be candle wax. Does it sound like someone has used radweld on this in the past?

I scraped it all off, cleaned the nozzle and rubbed it up with some fine wet and dry paper and remade the connection, it looks a lot tighter now but of course I am worried that the rest of the outlets/inlets are in the same state. Also the entire manifold has evidence of coolent weeping out on a few different connections and blanking plugs. Should I be concerned here?

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Daily Driver.
Alfa 145 QV ph1 in green (Death by rust project) For Sale.
Alfa GTV TS ph2 in blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member

County: Cumbria
Sounds like you should take the thermostat housing off, clean it up and re-seal all the joints, fix a problem before it becomes one.

Shame you've already done the waterpump as that would have been an ideal time to replace the two O-rings that seal the coolant rail (that runs in the V) into the casting that sits on top of the waterpump.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Sounds like you should take the thermostat housing off, clean it up and re-seal all the joints, fix a problem before it becomes one.

Shame you've already done the waterpump as that would have been an ideal time to replace the two O-rings that seal the coolant rail (that runs in the V) into the casting that sits on top of the waterpump.
Thanks Dan, The casting above the waterpump was solid but I am not so sure about the one at the other end of the coolant rail as this was a little loose while I was doing the waterpump.

I haven't topped up the coolant again yet so still got time to clean it all up.
Club Member

County: Cumbria
When you say the casting above the waterpump was solid, do you mean you didn't take it off the engine when you changed the pump?
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
When you say the casting above the waterpump was solid, do you mean you didn't take it off the engine when you changed the pump?
No, it was quite well attached to the pipe and I heard the o ring seal can cause problems so I didn't disturb it. The pipe was quite free to turn at the other end though so that allowed me to carefully rotate it to free the water pump.
AO Member

County: -Leicestershire
Thermostat is a fairly cheap part and only an hour to fit the new one start to finish. One of the first jobs i did to my daughters GT.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Candle wax doesn't sound like any Radweld sealant I've met. More like the contents of the thermostat capsule that works through expansion of wax as it melts. If the capsule has burst you need a new thermostat.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 30-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks Halftone. The Thermostat was the first thing I replaced when I got this car as it had failed and never went above 70 and took an age to get there. Didn't realise the wax finds its way into the coolant system though!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
radweld , wtf