Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Track Day - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Gertie
  • 1 Post By OperationAlfa
  • 1 Post By Gertie
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Capique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Shah Alam
County: Malaysia
Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Track Day

Hi Alfisti Master.

I just bought my 2nd Alfa after 159. To be honest with you I'm addicted to Alfa Romeo already.LOL....Just need your help and opinion about tuning and modification of my 147 2.0. This car will be on street performance and track day mode. I'm gonna using for fun not on a real race at Sepang International Circuit.

Model: 147 1.6 manual but conversion to 2.0
Gearbox: Still 1.6 manual
ECU: Still 1.6 manual

Do I need to change the 2.0 gearbox and the ECU? Sepang Circuit is a high speed corner circuit with a longest straight line is 920m and I think top speed for this car can reach 200-210km/h. I enjoy with 1.6 ratio and i believe for this torque.

1) What do I need to do with less cost to tune of this car?
2) What is the suitable throttle body to replace?Fiat coupe?
3) What is suitable camshaft measurement?Brand?
4) How about replace to 156 2.0 manifold extractor?or others brand?
5) Any suitable replacement for plastic intake throttle? Any others car?
6) Do I need to change big injector? If yes what model?
7) Recommendation of performance chip?

Please Alfisti Master I need your help and opinion. I will update step by step on this track day car with full video. Thank you
Capique is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Race cars in progress
Club Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Images: 6
Garage
1st off, I think this thread is better suited in the tuning lounge:

Tuning & Upgrades - Alfa Romeo Forum

You will not get past 170km/h on most straights on a with reasonable Normally Aspirated mods on a 2.0 motor. Down Kyalami's mineshaft I reach just over 160km/h , at the end of the main straight under 150km/h. I have never used 5th gear on any racetrack (Kyalami, Zwartkops, Midvaal, Phakisa) So a closer ratio (lower geared) gearbox is better.

The 1.6 ECU cannot drive the variable length inlet manifold, so yes the 2.0 ECU could help with that.
1. Loose weight in the car - it is the cheapest way to go faster. I stripped my 156 racer down to 1080kg and GTV racer to 1090kg. Then work on handling: 1: Semi slick tires, 2: track / race grade brake pads 3: coil over suspension: drop a slight bit and stiffen up the rear
2. You have the 2.0 throttle? Why do you want to go bigger throttle? It does not equate to more power. If you redesign the whole intake plenum, then sure go bigger throttle, but for now the OEM throttle is perfectly matched to the OEM plenum
3. On cams: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...of-timing.html (Ts camshaft gurus. A question of timing...)
That will be your best bet for increase in power, but still no major differences - I'd rather spend money on brakes and suspension, maybe even a limited slip diff (Quaife makes one for the TS box)
4. As long as you can get hold of the non-cat exhaust headers of the 2.0 - you will not gain too much
5. You mean the whole intake manifold as question 2 talks about the throttle? I'd leave it stock, but get the 2.0 ECU to manage the variable length.
6. Only if you boost: Turbo / Supercharge / NOS will you need bigger injectors. For Normal Aspirated : You have the 2.0 injectors on? If so then fine.
7. Plug-and-play performance chips make big differences on turbo cars. You need to get a tuner that you trust 1st, then use the chip he can tune well, there are no plug-and-play chips for N/A cars worth the money.

So to recap... Spend money on handling rather than power... Go have fun 1st... only later add power
On my local race track (Zwartkops) I managed 1:19.2 with a 3.0L 156 with road weight while I managed 1:18.0 in my 2.0L 156 stripped out racer. Both on Semi slicks, both on coil over suspension. Weight reduction means much more than more power
alan Q4+33 and joeymannero like this.

Last edited by Gertie; 24-08-16 at 11:29.
Gertie is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Capique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Shah Alam
County: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
1st off, I think this thread is better suited in the tuning lounge:

Tuning & Upgrades - Alfa Romeo Forum

You will not get past 170km/h on most straights on a with reasonable Normally Aspirated mods on a 2.0 motor. Down Kyalami's mineshaft I reach just over 160km/h , at the end of the main straight under 150km/h. I have never used 5th gear on any racetrack (Kyalami, Zwartkops, Midvaal, Phakisa) So a closer ratio (lower geared) gearbox is better.

The 1.6 ECU cannot drive the variable length inlet manifold, so yes the 2.0 ECU could help with that.
1. Loose weight in the car - it is the cheapest way to go faster. I stripped my 156 racer down to 1080kg and GTV racer to 1090kg. Then work on handling: 1: Semi slick tires, 2: track / race grade brake pads 3: coil over suspension: drop a slight bit and stiffen up the rear
2. You have the 2.0 throttle? Why do you want to go bigger throttle? It does not equate to more power. If you redesign the whole intake plenum, then sure go bigger throttle, but for now the OEM throttle is perfectly matched to the OEM plenum
3. On cams: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...of-timing.html (Ts camshaft gurus. A question of timing...)
That will be your best bet for increase in power, but still no major differences - I'd rather spend money on brakes and suspension, maybe even a limited slip diff (Quaife makes one for the TS box)
4. As long as you can get hold of the non-cat exhaust headers of the 2.0 - you will not gain too much
5. You mean the whole intake manifold as question 2 talks about the throttle? I'd leave it stock, but get the 2.0 ECU to manage the variable length.
6. Only if you boost: Turbo / Supercharge / NOS will you need bigger injectors. For Normal Aspirated : You have the 2.0 injectors on? If so then fine.
7. Plug-and-play performance chips make big differences on turbo cars. You need to get a tuner that you trust 1st, then use the chip he can tune well, there are no plug-and-play chips for N/A cars worth the money.

So to recap... Spend money on handling rather than power... Go have fun 1st... only later add power
On my local race track (Zwartkops) I managed 1:19.2 with a 3.0L 156 with road weight while I managed 1:18.0 in my 2.0L 156 stripped out racer. Both on Semi slicks, both on coil over suspension. Weight reduction means much more than more power
Seriously its really well explained. I will take serious note on this.

Again, this car will more build for more on the street performance and track day car. Not for race. I dont think so I will strip the body. :'( maybe only removing back seat and carbon front plus back hood.

What is the best coilover suspension so far you tried or u heard?
Capique is offline  
Status: Just wait for it...
AO Member
 
Garakis147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Greece
County: Greece,Crete
Kw any version but they are expensive and stiff for road use. They are also fully adjustable.
You can also use Koni , Bilsteins. There are numerous combinations of springs and shocks. Most usuall is Koni Yellow or STR with eibach springs.
You can also get gta anti roll bars or eibach
You will notice a serious difference in body roll.
Start with strut braces first and then choose your shocks.
One tip from me: If you want to go fast you have to be able to stop twice faster.
Garakis147 is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Capique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Shah Alam
County: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garakis147 View Post
Kw any version but they are expensive and stiff for road use. They are also fully adjustable.
You can also use Koni , Bilsteins. There are numerous combinations of springs and shocks. Most usuall is Koni Yellow or STR with eibach springs.
You can also get gta anti roll bars or eibach
You will notice a serious difference in body roll.
Start with strut braces first and then choose your shocks.
One tip from me: If you want to go fast you have to be able to stop twice faster.
Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciated fro the MASTER!
Capique is offline  
Status: Bring on the Giulia
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Garage
Priority one.

Get better brakes or upgrade the current brakes, otherwise they will fade and you will probably end up in the wall.

Then worry about everything else.
joeymannero likes this.
OperationAlfa is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Capique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Shah Alam
County: Malaysia
Anyone know how to solve my 1.6 engine conversion to 2.0 ?
Capique is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Capique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Shah Alam
County: Malaysia
Hi guys,

Here the links of my PROJECT (NEO SPORTIVO)

Capique is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: Race cars in progress
Club Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Images: 6
Garage
Good video production. Great work on the car
Gertie is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: Race cars in progress
Club Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Images: 6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capique View Post
Anyone know how to solve my 1.6 engine conversion to 2.0 ?
Just do the conversion...

I see you have commented here:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post15567578 (147 1.6 to 2.0 conversion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
To be quite honest you don't really need to map. The 1.6 ecu will run the 2.0 engine no problem. Only downside as I stated before you don't have the VIM working.
Scotty is right: Swap the 2.0 engine with its 2.0 intake manifold, 2.0 throttle, 2.0 injectors, leave the ECU 1.6 with 1.6 MAF and 1.6 lambda sensors, your Exhaust is already big enough for 2.0 1.6 Gearbox will work best for track / fast road

It is the same as putting a 3.0 V6 into a 156 that had a 2.5 V6 - I have done this - the ECU, MAF, Lambda has not been touched and my car is making 3.0 power.
Capique likes this.
Gertie is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Capique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Shah Alam
County: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
Just do the conversion...

I see you have commented here:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post15567578 (147 1.6 to 2.0 conversion)


Scotty is right: Swap the 2.0 engine with its 2.0 intake manifold, 2.0 throttle, 2.0 injectors, leave the ECU 1.6 with 1.6 MAF and 1.6 lambda sensors, your Exhaust is already big enough for 2.0 1.6 Gearbox will work best for track / fast road

It is the same as putting a 3.0 V6 into a 156 that had a 2.5 V6 - I have done this - the ECU, MAF, Lambda has not been touched and my car is making 3.0 power.
I have a solution....will installed e-manage from Greedy to solved the issued of variable valve. I just need a complete diagram. Anyone know how to get the ecu diagram? Please help!
Capique is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
County: North Sealand-
Long time (1996/97) ago I had my ex 155 2,0 TS 16V tuned with a UniChip on a rolling road. The UniChip is programmable so you can get both more HP and toque as you desire.
I ask the tuner for more torque at lower revelations. I got about 15% more torque at 2000 to 3000 rpm. At the same time I got 185 HP, it had about 165 HP before (thought standard was 150 HP according to Alfa's specifications).
Before this it didn't really pull until 4000 RPM.
Erik Loye is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , alfa , day , romeo , track

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome