Aircon/blower issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfa Seltzer
  • 2 Post By rodt

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Aircon/blower issue

2003 156 1.8TS Sportwagon. The air appears to be quite cool coming out of the vents but it's the lack of any oomph that is the problem. A chihuahua wagging it's tail could produce more air.

I wouldn't be too worried but the drivers door window is stuck in the up position so airflow is a bit limited.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Blocked pollen filter?
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
or needs a re-gas

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
or needs a re-gas
Lack of gas in the AC circuit will affect the temperature, not the amount of air coming out of the vents...

If there's not enough air, either the blower isn't blowing hard enough, or the air is being restricted somewhere...
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Lack of gas in the AC circuit will affect the temperature, not the amount of air coming out of the vents...
of course, but might feel as though capacity is less ....
AO Member

County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Have you checked the internal flaps that control airflow are operating freely? These can sometimes stick if left in one position for prolonged periods.

TBH I have found that the airflow on Alfas is generally poor anyway as though the ventilation & heating system is something of an afterthought, my GT's fan is properly noisy at full chat but the airflow is nothing like I could muster on the Focus or Golf that I had forays into a few years ago.
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Seltzer View Post
Have you checked the internal flaps that control airflow are operating freely? These can sometimes stick if left in one position for prolonged periods.

TBH I have found that the airflow on Alfas is generally poor anyway as though the ventilation & heating system is something of an afterthought, my GT's fan is properly noisy at full chat but the airflow is nothing like I could muster on the Focus or Golf that I had forays into a few years ago.
Hey. I have a problem with my flap being stuck to cold air. Is it possible to fix it somehow? It's probably just seized, since the AC was never used by the previous owner, I had to re-gas it entirely. No leaks !
I have heard of some A/C unit reset via a battery disconnect ?
AO Member

County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Yes, if you disconnect the battery and leave it for 30 minutes or so the various ECU's should theoretically "drain" of their settings.
Upon reconnecting turn the key to the first position only and you should hear all sorts of strange noises as various components liven up and settle to their default position, this should include the heater flaps which I'm told will initially cycle all positions before settling on those requested by the controls...I have witnessed this on my GT as short bursts of air came from various places in succession. The exact technicalities and procedures are unknown to me but I'm relating past experience here.

Of course if a flap is truly stuck in position for whatever reason (swelling out of shape /moisture ingress etc?) the above may not solve the problem....Good luck

Sprint - 33 - Sprint - 33 - 155 - GTV - GTV - 156 - GT ...gone German for now though.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks everyone. Disconnected the battery, waited 30 minutes and now I have cold air actually blowing.
Alfa Seltzer and dgmayhead like this.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Seltzer View Post
Yes, if you disconnect the battery and leave it for 30 minutes or so the various ECU's should theoretically "drain" of their settings.
Upon reconnecting turn the key to the first position only and you should hear all sorts of strange noises as various components liven up and settle to their default position, this should include the heater flaps which I'm told will initially cycle all positions before settling on those requested by the controls...I have witnessed this on my GT as short bursts of air came from various places in succession. The exact technicalities and procedures are unknown to me but I'm relating past experience here.

Of course if a flap is truly stuck in position for whatever reason (swelling out of shape /moisture ingress etc?) the above may not solve the problem....Good luck
If the flap is indeed stuck in my position, is a removal of the dashboard the only way to get to it? I would love to have a heater during the winter months, but shops are asking for 150EUR to remove the dashboard.
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 30-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodt View Post
Thanks everyone. Disconnected the battery, waited 30 minutes and now I have cold air actually blowing.
And it's fixed the annoying bleeps and misleading warnings from the computer thing.
BUT I forgot that I don't have the radio cose...............
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodt View Post
....BUT I forgot that I don't have the radio code...............
Ask for it here ?
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-here-349.html (Need a radio code? Ask here...)
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you. I found it in my safe place (and that's pretty much a first for me).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
aircon or blower , issue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page