Help!!!GT 1.9 won't rev!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnyD84
  • 1 Post By _The_Editor_

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Baden-Württemberg
Help!!!GT 1.9 won't rev!!!

Hi everybody!

I'm very sorry if a similar thread already exists,but i am so frustrated i couldn't focus when i looked. I ordered a new EGR valve and decided to change it on my own. Apart from a bit of fiddling in fitting the new flanges and the MCSF light which is normal after this kind of work, everything went well. But when I drove the car afterwards, it does not rev over 2000 rpm, like in limp mode. I need your help!!! Can it be because of the engine warning light, or is it something else? The car was driving just fine until yesterday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
MCSF light shouldn't be on after just changing the EGR valve...

Sounds like you're in Limp mode - normal response to a fault with the EGR valve itself.

Checked the electrical connector is securely attached?
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Editor, Thanks for the quick reply!

After i was done, I double-checked everything before I put the engine cover back on. I even unplugged the battery for a couple of minutes to see if it would reset the management...
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Read codes and reset. Blank the egr off. Read codes again and drive. Should drive fine with a blank. Only code should be p0401. If power is not restored look elsewhere for boost leaks or maf / map sensor failure. Your egr valve could be stuck open but I wouldn't bother investigating its operation. Just blank it then begin your investigations.
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
How did you come to the conclusion that the EGR was at fault?

And did you clean out all the gunk before you fit the new EGR?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyD84 View Post
the MCSF light which is normal after this kind of work

Its not normal, unless you fit a blanking plate. You may want to clarify that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi everybody, thakx for your replies!

There was nothing wrong with the car, no smoke or any other leaks. But since it reached 160k km ( or 100k miles), i decided to change it. I had the feeling that the car was a bit down on power and had a bit more to give, and I thought maybe it was all clogged up. I found a great offer on a new valve and instead of cleaning the old one, I bought a replacement. I cleaned up as much soot as I could and put the new one. Could it be that the new part is defective? Maybe I should clean the old one a bit and put it back on? Unfortunately my mechanic is on vacation and he comes next week. He can check the car then. Any ideas?

Thanx a lot in advance
AO Silver Member

Put the old one back on, see if the fault goes away.

Was the new EGR Valve a genuine part?
AO Silver Member

A blank is the cheapest and easiest fix and best for your engine. You can make one from a beer can if you're particularly skint or buy one for less than a tenner.
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 24-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Good day to all!!!

On Friday I get off earlier from work, so I will give the old one a good clean and put it back on to see what happens. The new one is not an original part, hence the low price. But is for the specific model, according to the manufacturer. dgmayhead unfortunately i cannot fit a blank at the moment. I live in Stuttgart and the amount of work you have to go through to pass your tüv (equivalent of MOT in Germany) is worth it only when done with a few other jobs together (example a re-map or other changes in mechanical components). Plus as far as i know you get the engine light unless you get a re-map too ( correct me if i am wrong). Btw does anyone know a trustworthy mechanic in the Stuttgart area?

Thanx a lot!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
. Plus as far as i know you get the engine light unless you get a re-map too ( correct me if i am wrong). Btw does anyone know a trustworthy mechanic in the Stuttgart area?

Thanx a lot!
Depends on the specific engine type.. If you've got the 8v JTD then you can blank it without generating a check-engine light..

If you have the 16V engine then you're correct, a full blank will cause an error light to appear on the dash.. However you can fit a restrictor plate (full blank plate with some small holes in it).. Allows enough EGR flow to prevent a check-engine light appearing, but severely reduces the ammount of EGR flow compared to fully open. A lot of the benefits of the full EGR blank, but without the need for a remap.. In fact Alfa started supplying cars with EGR restrictors fitted in the end.. You can get an original Alfa part if you want, or a plate from eBay for <£10.

From what you've described, I'd put my money on it being an incompatible/faulty new EGR valve.... If you try and run the can with the EGR valve completely disconnected you get the MCSF error and the car is put in to limp mode - exactly as you've described... Sounds like the Bosch ECU doesn't like the aftermarket EGR valve you fitted..

Re-fit the old EGR valve with a restrictor and see how she goes!

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Good day to all!!!

On Friday I get off earlier from work, so I will give the old one a good clean and put it back on to see what happens. The new one is not an original part, hence the low price. But is for the specific model, according to the manufacturer. dgmayhead unfortunately i cannot fit a blank at the moment. I live in Stuttgart and the amount of work you have to go through to pass your tüv (equivalent of MOT in Germany) is worth it only when done with a few other jobs together (example a re-map or other changes in mechanical components). Plus as far as i know you get the engine light unless you get a re-map too ( correct me if i am wrong). Btw does anyone know a trustworthy mechanic in the Stuttgart area?

Thanx a lot!
Damn that German efficiency! If it helps the light on the 16v stays off long enough for the mot tester not to see.
The fittings for the egr are **** weak in soft aluminium so you don't want to be taking the valve off too many times. Make sure you always use a fresh gasket so the bolts don't need torqueing up too much. It's well easy too strip the threads.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi everybody!!!

today i found some time and re-fitted the old EGR. The 'check engine' light is still on, but the car drives normally. I took it out for a spin on b-roads and a little bit of motorway driving and 'almost' everything was fine. I say 'almost' because i detected a loss in boost, like the car has lost a bit of its power. Next week a service is scheduled, so i'll have the mechanic to check all the hoses and see if he finds any gremlins. If you have any suggestions, feel free...

Thank you all very much for your answers so far, you have been most helpful! Glad to be a member of this forum...
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Silver Member

Boost leak is probably around the EGR valve if you've had it on/off a few times...

Best bet now would be to get it permanently blanked, mapped out, and sealed up with fresh gaskets so you never need to touch it again!
dgmayhead likes this.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I used new gaskets upon re-fitting the original EGR. Because I was revving the car a lot on Monday I thought maybe one of the hoses was on its last and gave up. I cannot blank the valve completely, but I will surely install a restrictor plate next time i fiddle with the engine bay...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
helpgt , rev