GTA clarification - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 12Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 43 Old 21-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
GTA clarification

Can anyone please explain to me why some people talk about their GT as a GTA? I understand it on 147s, 156 etc. Sometimes I see GTA as a rear badge or on the Busso block but is this a special variant of the V6 or an after sales addition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

All the old 3.2 engines in 147/156/GT/GTV/Spider/166 are identical apart from the 147/156GTA ones saying "GTA" on them and very slight ECU mapping differences.
The GT 3.2V6 is a GTA in all but name. But then a "GT GTA" may have sounded odd!
sizewell and eivindcl like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Yes, basically if you fit a 147/156 GTA plenum to a GT, the engine is identical to the engine in the GTA cars then. Possible slight differences in ECU mapping, but definitely nothing like the official power difference - the non-GTA 3.2 cars were simply advertised with less power than the GTA "halo cars". Can't spoil the GTA marketing by selling another car with the same power for less money!
The rest of the 3.2 GT (rest of the drivetrain and the chassis and suspension) is virtually identical mechanically to the 147 GTA.
sizewell likes this.

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
Yes, basically if you fit a 147/156 GTA plenum to a GT, the engine is identical to the engine in the GTA cars then. Possible slight differences in ECU mapping, but definitely nothing like the official power difference - the non-GTA 3.2 cars were simply advertised with less power than the GTA "halo cars". Can't spoil the GTA marketing by selling another car with the same power for less money!
The rest of the 3.2 GT (rest of the drivetrain and the chassis and suspension) is virtually identical mechanically to the 147 GTA.
Which means you must buy one now as they are well cheap.
sizewell likes this.
AO Silver Member

Yes, well, the 3.2 GT certainly has the potential to rise in value, as it was the car with "the last of the Busso engines". I wouldn't wager it'd command very much higher prices until many years from now, though - ten years is a bit too short.
sizewell likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
The 3.2 GT already is rising in value, just not as fast as the GTA's.

The engine and running gear is identical to a GTA. Even the engine mapping is the same (the throttle map is slightly different, but that isn't the same as the engine map). The differing BHP figures are pure marketing.

The 3.2 GT doesn't have a bespoke interior or bodykit over the standard GT which makes it seem a little less special on first impressions. But you still have big brakes, special wheels and "Dat v6".
sizewell likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201
Garage
Quote:
Yes, basically if you fit a 147/156 GTA plenum to a GT, the engine is identical to the engine in the GTA cars then.
And to clarify the point.. .it is lettering on top that differs, both still 2.5L volume with the same throttle entry and runner exits
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
The 3.2 GT already is rising in value, just not as fast as the GTA's.

The engine and running gear is identical to a GTA. Even the engine mapping is the same (the throttle map is slightly different, but that isn't the same as the engine map). The differing BHP figures are pure marketing.

The 3.2 GT doesn't have a bespoke interior or bodykit over the standard GT which makes it seem a little less special on first impressions. But you still have big brakes, special wheels and "Dat v6".
At last. Perhaps now people will begin to understand the genetic link between the 3.2 GT and the 147/156 GTA's. All three different but all equally special. And all three came along in a very short space of time, perhaps too short a time, given how long we had to wait after the Bertie. This I feel diminished the value of the last, the 3.2 GT-a. It is the last of the Busso powered Alfa's although I think Lancia continued to use the engine for a little longer? It is a beautiful car, eminently practical and the chassis has benefited from the 156 touring car campaign. What more could one ask for, from a modern Alfa. Great comments from the previous posters.
AO Silver Member

Lancia stopped using the 3.2 V6 in the Thesis in 2006 as far as I know - production may even have stopped in 2004. The GT 3.2 was produced until 2007.
sizewell likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
And to clarify the point.. .it is lettering on top that differs, both still 2.5L volume with the same throttle entry and runner exits
Yes, the plenums for the Phase 3 2.5 V6 and the 3.2 GT are identical - part number 60668426. The GTA plenum differs only in terms of the "GTA" lettering.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Iirc, the gt uses a smaller diameter rear anti roll bar than the gta's.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Iirc, the gt uses a smaller diameter rear anti roll bar than the gta's.
Sure about that? Aren't they both 17mm on the 3.2 cars and 14mm on the smaller-engined cars?

According to EPER, the part number for the rear ARB for the 156 GTA and the 3.2 GT is 60680890 if not fitted with xenons, and 60682363 if fitted with xenons.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Sure about that? Aren't they both 17mm on the 3.2 cars and 14mm on the smaller-engined cars?
There's a 16mm version floating about too I believe.. Fitted to one flavour of GTA or another...
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Somewhere on here is a picture that someone posted of a GTA plenum fitted to a GT that had the 'A' ground off and then powdercoated to look as if it was an original fitment which I thought looked quite good.
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Lancia stopped using the 3.2 V6 in the Thesis in 2006 as far as I know - production may even have stopped in 2004. The GT 3.2 was produced until 2007.
Yes - production of the 3.2 Thesis did stop in 2004 - but quite a few were first registered much later on.

My 3.2 Thesis was registered 10/2006. Superb cars.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

According to EPER, the part number for the rear ARB for the 156 GTA and the 3.2 GT is 60680890 if not fitted with xenons, and 60682363 if fitted with xenons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
There's a 16mm version floating about too I believe.. Fitted to one flavour of GTA or another...
No, not sure.

There's this thread;

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...er.html#/enter

But I've also found a post from David C saying they're all the same.

I was considering it when I had a 3.2 gt, but it was written off before I'd investigated it properly.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Somewhere on here is a picture that someone posted of a GTA plenum fitted to a GT that had the 'A' ground off and then powdercoated to look as if it was an original fitment which I thought looked quite good.
Yup I did that to my GT 3.2 . Now owned by another forum member.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Yup I did that to my GT 3.2 . Now owned by another forum member.
Aye, not bad. Still not a GTA though. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Aye, not bad. Still not a GTA though. Lol
Yeah, but I have another 147 GTA now. (3rd one)
(Post Link) post #20 of 43 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Many thanks for all the replies. I must now go out and pick up a nice V6, low mileage and well looked after.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

I was under the impression that the 3.2GT chassis was made 15% stiffer than the earlier made 156gta saloon (doesn't the GT use the 156 sportwagon chassis?), anyway because of this they were able to fit a slightly smaller rear anti-roll bar to make it ride better.

Didn't know about the throttle map? does this make the GTA's seem more urgent, like the sports button on some cars that sharpen up the throttle response?
sizewell likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
I was under the impression that the 3.2GT chassis was made 15% stiffer than the earlier made 156gta saloon (doesn't the GT use the 156 sportwagon chassis?), anyway because of this they were able to fit a slightly smaller rear anti-roll bar to make it ride better.

Didn't know about the throttle map? does this make the GTA's seem more urgent, like the sports button on some cars that sharpen up the throttle response?

Well, on EPER the part numbers for the ARBs for the 156 GTA and the GT 3.2 are exactly the same. Also for the smaller-engined GTs and the smaller-engined 156es.

I also doubt the stiffer chassis claim. Not stiffer than the 156 SW anyway. Happy to be shown proof to the contrary.

The 159 chassis is a LOT stiffer than the 156/147/GT series cars - probably explains some of the significant weight increase.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post

it's the "base" gt that is 15% stiffer than the "regular" 156

the GT 3.2 is a gta without the a. Everything is the same, except it's a lovely coupe and has a better interior, at least the seats are miles ahead, and still the best ever fitted to an alfa
sizewell and warniegt like this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eivindcl View Post
it's the "base" gt that is 15% stiffer than the "regular" 156

the GT 3.2 is a gta without the a. Everything is the same, except it's a lovely coupe and has a better interior, at least the seats are miles ahead, and still the best ever fitted to an alfa

Ah yes, that would make sense, as the GTA is also stiffer than the regular 156, mainly because of the two braces underneath the car, shared with the GT.

The GT seats are great yes - I had some of those seats in a 156 Ti and they were great. The GTA seats aren't that far behind though.

I disagree on the interior. The 156 facelift interior, especially the Phase 2, is the most aesthetically pleasing of the series. It's one of the main reasons I got a 156 and not a GT 3.2.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Ah yes, that would make sense, as the GTA is also stiffer than the regular 156, mainly because of the two braces underneath the car, shared with the GT.

The GT seats are great yes - I had some of those seats in a 156 Ti and they were great. The GTA seats aren't that far behind though.

I disagree on the interior. The 156 facelift interior, especially the Phase 2, is the most aesthetically pleasing of the series. It's one of the main reasons I got a 156 and not a GT 3.2.
That may be true, though i will find the GT better built than most 156's. At least my dads daily -04 156 1.8 facelift is a mess, and fitment is not up to par. I may not have been in a phase 2, but i often think coupes, not only alfas are one up on most "regular cars" , both on roadnoise, build quality and also price wise. But i could be wrong

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
clarification , gta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page