Purchasing a used 147 tomorrow - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Purchasing a used 147 tomorrow

Hi all,

I am due to buy a used 147 tomorrow, and a couple of questions that I'm hoping you kind souls could help me out with!
There are lots of ads on donedeal and I'm wondering if there's much difference between the '05 and '07 models as that's the ones i'll be looking at.

Also I read somewhere that they have problems with the thermostats breaking and some issues with the suspension (wishbones etc), is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Finally, the fuel consumption. Any owners on here mind chiming in on how thirsty these are?

Any other advice much appreciated, and hopefully I'll be a new member of the owner community by tomorrow!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Welcome to AO & good luck with the search, hopefully you'll soon be an Alfa owner

These 2 threads are worth a look http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-and-more.html (147/156/GT Owners Tech info - Fault Guides and more!) & http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...47-156-gt.html (Known Issues 147/156/GT)

Also check out the 147 Buyer's Guide here

I'm guessing you are looking at a 1.6TS ? I usually get around 37mpg on a run according to the computer, less in traffic.
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Hey, thanks for the reply, will check them out! For some reason couldn't find the common fault thread, put that down to me being new to this whole forum thing

Funnily enough I'm heading down to Cork to look at one. 87000 miles on the odometer, an '05 1.6 TS, taxed and NCT'd until april of next year, only e1600, so far so good. Hopefully its in as good a condition as the owner claims.

Spent the last two hours doing all the reading I can, heard plenty of terrible things about alfa's being unreliable but the bit of research calmed my nerves.

AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
I've heard about Alfas being unreliable, so far over a year of ownership, never let me down mechanically. The suspension needs to be repaired but it still drives like a champ! It's just *mostly* stereotypes.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Personally i would say a petrol Alfa is no different than any other car, you want history, you want the clutch to be in good order, you want to be sure of no history or evidence of serious body damage and evidence of the timing belt changed within the last 30k or factor in to have it done yourself. Creaky suspension is almost a given at some stage in any alfa's life, it comes and goes and you address it when it pi55es you off.

Other than that its going to be the same service parts as any other car.

Don't believe all the horror stories, you only hear bad things on forums for all marques, that why people join because they have a problem and need help.

Enjoy your new alfa !

Always looking for the next project, why have 1 boring new car when you can have 3 or 4 decent project cars ?
AO Member

County: -Greece
Hello mate,

I just bought a used Alfa 147 some days ago. You can check my posts as i went through daily to fixing some of its problems. I am very happy with my purchase (mine is a 2002 model 1.6 ts 120hp) and i will wait to see if a serious problem comes up. The car so far seems to work great.

Yes there is a "gas drinking" problem with the 147 as far as i see but all that depends on how you drive it. My clutch is also stiff so check it out (it might need a replacement).

I bought mine for 1200e. Already paid 800e to get it ready for winter. More money will be needed surely by spring time. We will see.

Good luck
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
One thing to be VERY careful of is that these petrol Alfas will use oil (lots) and there isn't a low oil warning light. When you first get it check the oil every time you fill up with petrol. After a while you will know how much it is using and may be able to go 3 or 4 petrol stops for only one oil top up. But do not forget to check this until you really know your new Alfa.

County: Cork
Garage
Yes some use oil & yes some use lots of oil, however some rarely if ever need a topup between oil changes
But yes it's important to check the level regularly, especially until you get to know how much oil yours uses.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
One thing to be VERY careful of is that these petrol Alfas will use oil (lots) and there isn't a low oil warning light. When you first get it check the oil every time you fill up with petrol. After a while you will know how much it is using and may be able to go 3 or 4 petrol stops for only one oil top up. But do not forget to check this until you really know your new Alfa.
And from experience the Oil drinking is solved by a bore hone and new rings.
I had a engine drinking 5 litres every 6 weeks, with good compression (130 per cylinder) and when it got to the point that is was cheaper to rebuild the engine than keep buying oil, i first re conned the head which had no positive effect, spent a further 100 on rings and a set of big end shells and in 3 months and 4500 miles i've topped it up once because it had gone about 6mm under the maximum.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Check the floorpan for rust.

A large percentage of 147's will have some. If you are lucky you will be able to catch it whilst it is still surface rust and once treated the car will go on and live a long life. If not it will need welding.

Unfortunately they were not very well rustproofed at the factory, and moisture can spread underneath the underseal. That is if there is any. Quite a few cars had areas of floorpan with underseal missing (from the factory)
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Check the floorpan for rust.

A large percentage of 147's will have some. If you are lucky you will be able to catch it whilst it is still surface rust and once treated the car will go on and live a long life. If not it will need welding.

Unfortunately they were not very well rustproofed at the factory, and moisture can spread underneath the underseal. That is if there is any. Quite a few cars had areas of floorpan with underseal missing (from the factory)
Also check front wings near sills by a post, and tops of arches.
Usual suspects such as cambelt and clutch.
If going diesel, around 80K turbo lasts in general.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
If you do a search for 145 floor rust the photos are exactly the same as for 147. It is a row of no longer used drain holes along the rear or the floorpan. The problem is you can't see it beneath the underseal. The oly way to find it is either try to peel the underseal or poke with a screw drives. I have just put 2x 18" x 9" pieces of steel in my son's 147 that is one piece each side.

Another place they rust is the bottom of the inner wing on the wheel side, again hidden by underseal. Just caught my son's in time, peeled off the underseal, de-rusted with wire brush and treated.

Another place for rust and really only visible with spring and strut removed is the underside of the front spring turret. Again only just caught my son's in time when replacing his shock absorbers.

The last place that I know is the front wing supports at the front of the wing and only visible with the arch liner removed. This is none structural and bolt on part.

Some have reported rear spring seats ruted but I haven't looked there on any 147/156 we have owned.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , purchasing , tomorrow

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page