Fitting new droplinks - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By samsdads156jtd
  • 1 Post By _The_Editor_
  • 1 Post By Shimmerydolmeo
  • 1 Post By pubsinger
  • 1 Post By kandlbarrett
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Fitting new droplinks

I'm about to order the Meyle HD droplinks off ebay but have never done any suspension work at all so I figure that these may be a good place to start!

Can anyone tell me if I will need and specific tools and any tips would be welcome

From what I gather you take off the front wheel then it's just two nuts that you undo? surely it can't be that easy?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
In theory it can be that easy but in practice the nuts generally rust onto the threads and can be difficult to remove, the original threads can be stopped from turning by the use of an allen key but the hole deforms and the thread just spins on the allen key.

When you get the wheels off give the droplink threads a really good clean with a wire brush and use a good penetrating fluid on them before starting. The nuts will generally come off to a point usually to where the rust starts on the thread so you can generally clamp the droplink against the arb to stop it moving and let you get the nut off! Hopefully you'll be lucky and you'll get them off without too much swearing!! There is the option of cutting the bolts off given your putting new ones one, this may be a quicker way if you can get clear access to the nuts...

Good luck!!
warniegt likes this.
AO Silver Member
County: Devon
Jack up and get it safely on stands, leave the road wheel on the opposite side to where you're working, then put your jack under the wheel and jack up one side..

This puts the ARB under torsion, and locks up the ball joints in the links nicely so you should be able to get the nuts started if they're seized up and just turning the ball joint round! A good option if you've rounded off the allen key hole already.

Just remember to take the torsion off (let the jack down) before trying to remove the nut completely!
warniegt likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 18-08-16 at 12:57.
AO Member
County: Dorset
I used a drill, which I broke, a blow torch and an angle grinder to remove the old drop links. Basically needed to obliterate the nut, there was no way it was coming off on its own.

Be prepared to do this, I hired a mini grinder for 8 for a couple of hours.
warniegt likes this.
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Have a look at your new drop links before you do anything, you'll notice a flat on the spline near the rubber, this is the later design so a spanner can be used to hold the spline while fitting/removing the nut.

With any luck the existing drop links will have this flat as they're likely to have been replaced at least once in the car's life.

Good luck

warniegt likes this.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
If I recall correctly the drop links are NOT a taper fit so you do not need a ball joint separator. 17mm spanner size for the nut and 5 or 6mm allen key. If you are unlucky then any of the above mentioned methods may be needed if the nut is seized.

Ref use of penetrating fluid don't bother with WD40 but use something like GT85 or, probably the best, PB Blaster. And don't bother spraying just before undoing the nuts but get some in there 24 or 48hrs before and do a repeat application.
warniegt likes this.
AO Member
County: -england

Member car:

Brera and GT

as above.. did mine a while ago..spray lubricant heavily and leave at least 24 hours or even longer..good luck!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

droplinks , fitting