Help!! Please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Help!! Please

Hello everyone!

I need your help if i can please
my partner has a very sick 147 selespeed, in the past 2 days it has managed to get through 3 batterys two of wich were brand new!
as far as i am aware from checking the output, the alternator is fine although this is the frist alfa i have ever had the pleasure of working on so i may be wrong,
initally the car managed to blow both headlights and cause batterys to start pushing acid out within about 1 min! along with sounding like a swear machine gone wrong as every concievable electrical system decided to fail,
after a day working on the car checking everything i could think of (unfortunatly without a manual) everything appeared to be fine, allmost!
now the car no longer seems to be causing batterys to push acid out but it is still only running for approx one day of use before it fails, when all the electrical systems start bleeping again and the car the rapidly develops a misfire and shortly after that cuts out completly!

Please please if anyone has any ideas contact me, also if anyone has access to any wiring diagrams that they could possibly send me i would be very greatfull, please foward me anything you have to
thanks hope somone can help!

(moved to 147,156 lounge)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: Help!! Please

what voltage are you getting with the engine running?

i don't know if the selespeed has any peculiarities in this regard, nor am i an autoelectrician, but if it's not a faulty ECU, perhaps it's a faulty voltage regulator.

AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Cooking battery? Alternator output, unless you have a direct short or something? No auto electrician myself, but seems a strange one you have there!:
County: Durham

Member car:

AO Member
County: -

It sounds like your alternator is/was running at too high voltage. You say you have checked the output - how ?

(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 08-01-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

thank you everyone for your help,
although i had checked the output it now appears the alternator was causing the battery to fail somehow even though the output didnt seem high at 14.4 v but not that it has killed the battery i think it has turned on itself and killed the alternator so i now have the joy of changing that, anyone who has done one before and is local to me (coalville, Leices) who is willing to help i would be really greatfull to hear fron you.

thanks everyone

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT