Diesel pouring from the engine bay - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By baxter2308
  • 1 Post By t3yls
  • 2 Post By Neddyboy
  • 2 Post By _The_Editor_

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 16-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Surrey
Diesel pouring from the engine bay

Hi as title says I have a GT and there is diesel pouring from the engine bay, what could it be, how serious is it, obviously I can't drive the way it is. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
There is a leak somewhere, obviously. I once had a Golf before my Alfa, and it leaked fuel like crazy, just when I bought it. I did a trip of 50 kilometers and were left with no fuel. I had around 30 worth of fuel in the tank. More of the fuel was leaked, than was used. My problem was that one of those connections to the fuel filter has snapped before, and the previous owner used an actual STRAW to replace it. He didn't feel like he needs to tell me about it, and he cost me 40 for something that costs just 10, which I could have simply bought myself. Check that. Turn the engine on and drive around for a bit, then come back and see where in the engine bay is it wet from the fuel, try to find the source.
jwq
Club Member

County: Zuid Holland
and be carefull for fire .......
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Well, you'd need to have a look at where it is actually leaking from.

Diesel comes through the fuel line (obviously) and goes into the engine through the injectors, with excess returning to the fuel tank through more fuel lines. Pressurised by the fuel pump.

So it could be leaking anywhere from the fuel lines in the engine bay area, from the injectors, or the fuel pump (not sure if that's inside the engine bay on the 1.9 or not). Technically also possible that it can leak from somewhere within the engine, but in such a case you'd have noticed other, bad symptoms by now.

Diesel is not easily flammable, so it's less of a danger than it would be with petrol, but still obviously be careful.

If it's just somewhere along the fuel lines that it's sprung a leak, it'd likely be an easy fix. Mind that you get the right component(s) to replace though - not any old piece of tube will do. It needs to be able to stand up to the high pressure and to having diesel flow through it.
AO Silver Member

Oh, and it goes to the fuel filter too, located near the bulkhead. The filter itself may have sprung a leak too. In which case an even easier fix.
AO Silver Member

Google tells me that it's fairly common for the diesel pump (in the engine bay, as normal) to leak. Seals within the pump can perish, apparently. In which case you'd simply need new seals.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
A few of us have had failures around the fuel filter (myself included!), others have had leaks spring in the high-pressure lines on top of the engine block, and not uncommon for the fuel return lines from the injectors to work lose and make a mess...

Any clue where in the engine bay the fuel is leaking from? Should direct you fairly quickly towards the issue..
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 16-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks guys for all your help, so hopefully its an easy fix, my mechanic can't pick up the car until thurs so hopefully will have it all sorted. Just a scary thought when you got fuel pouring out, makes your mind think of them films, where the guy flicks a fag and it lights the trail and kabooom!!! I'll let you know what the issue is when fixed
Club Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
Had a similar issue a year or two back, mind was a failed water in fuel sensor which screws onto the bottom of the fuel filter. Only a small part but a massive old leak. Hope you get it sorted.
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddyboy View Post
Just a scary thought when you got fuel pouring out, makes your mind think of them films, where the guy flicks a fag and it lights the trail and kabooom!!! I'll let you know what the issue is when fixed
You can stand in a container of diesel and drop lighted matches and lit cigarettes into it all day long and the only thing you'll end up with is feet smelling of diesel.

Diesel will not catch fire when in liquid from and at normal atmospheric pressure.

Here's a video from America showing you:

Even petrol, when in liquid form, is pretty hard to light. With an open flame or with a spark it can be done fairly consistently, but a low temperature coal like a cigarette end will just go out if dropped into some petrol, unless under some very weird circumstances. You can't even light petrol vapour on fire using a lit cigarette.

Here you can see some videos of people putting a cigarette out in some petrol:

Of course, still a bad idea to smoke around petrol, not because of the cigarette coal, but because of the act of lighting the cigarette, which creates an open flame.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
Had a similar issue a year or two back, mind was a failed water in fuel sensor which screws onto the bottom of the fuel filter. Only a small part but a massive old leak. Hope you get it sorted.

I don't bother with that sensor any more, after it leaked when i changed the filter a few years back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
baxter2308 likes this.
AO Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
I had failure at same point a while back. Since I only use branded fuel there's no danger of water in the fuel anyway - sensor removed and hole blocked by my mechanic
Leaking fuel caused a huge smoke cloud behind me as it hit the hot exhaust, embarassing.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Also a good chance it'll be the fuel return lines from the injectors, rotting rubber hoses pushed onto plastic connectors, about a tenner to fix.
Club Member

Hope its a quick fix Ned. Look forward to hearing what it was. Might give us all a heads up.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi, just an update, it was the diesel braided hose that was split and pouring it over the engine, the best bit is that it was only 2.82 to fix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-6.fw.jpg (34.2 KB, 17 views)
halftone and baxter2308 like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddyboy View Post
Hi, just an update, it was the diesel braided hose that was split and pouring it over the engine, the best bit is that it was only 2.82 to fix
halftone takes the prize, fuel return line from the injectors!
halftone and baxter2308 like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
bay , diesel , engine , pouring