alfa 147 1.6 lusso - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-08-16 Thread Starter

County: North Lanarkshire
Thumbs Up alfa 147 1.6 lusso

Hi, could anyone suggest a site where I can purchase a gear selector bracket?, thank you chez 21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
The one under the gear lever? PartsworldUK on ebay sold me my one. Make sure you get the petrol one as the diesel one is cheaper and looks inviting....BUT wont fit. trust me on this. (note to self, must sell the extra diesel one i have.... )
You can buy the bushes, but by the time youve lost the will to live under the car trying to get it out, you might as well lob the whole thing in. Add to that the unit doesnt like being dismantled once out too.
Ned does have some good second hand ones too if youre looking to save a few notes.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
The one under the gear lever? PartsworldUK on ebay sold me my one. Make sure you get the petrol one as the diesel one is cheaper and looks inviting....BUT wont fit. trust me on this. (note to self, must sell the extra diesel one i have.... )
You can buy the bushes, but by the time youve lost the will to live under the car trying to get it out, you might as well lob the whole thing in. Add to that the unit doesnt like being dismantled once out too.
Ned does have some good second hand ones too if youre looking to save a few notes.
Egon, many thanks for your reply, thebracket i'm talking about is the one that is fitted by removing the battery tray, and have access from there, is this the same bracket that your talking about?,i would appreciate your reply as i/m a bit confused, is it the bracket that causes problems with gear selection due to wear and tear?
Cheers, Chez.
AO Member

County: -
No, the bracket is bolted down and the cables clipped to it firmly. No place it can get sloppy.

As mentioned, the majority of slop comes from the two wear bushes in the selector mechanism. I think it might be very trying to do without a hoist; you start by removing the centre exhaust section and back cat, unhooking the lambda sensor, releasing the handbrake yoke, dropping the "spine" after uncoupling the shift cables at gearbox and your aforementioned bracket. Don't forget the handbrake switch wire! Then you can lower the spine, strip off the shift mechanism and rehabilitate.

Lots of sharp edges on pressed metal - take care.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
The bracket on top of the box can cause problems with a very stiff gearshift - particularly difficult side-to-side movement of the stick - if the nylon "top-hat" bushes on the swivelling lever get dry/full of "crud". Easy fix!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , alfa , lusso