Alloy wheel colour - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By biddyrascal

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 13-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Alloy wheel colour

I am getting ready to refurb my wheels next week and I have almost everything in ie Sandpaper ( 150 - 2500 ), body filler, high build primer and lacquer. However I am not sure of the actual colour for the alloys them selves. My car is an Alfa 147 in Grigio silver ( 694 ) is there a certain colour code for the wheels as standard or can I use any decent metallic silver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Colour doesn't matter if you're doing all 4/5 wheels.

I suggest chemical metal rather than body filler, it's bl00dy good stuff.

Oh, BTW, it's privilege.

Good luck

Pub
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
bNo idea if the standard wheels have a paint code, standard alloy wheel silver from Halfrauds is a pretty standard wheel silver.
I would personally have them Anthracite, looks amazing on red, white and silver cars, check out the colour on the wifes 147.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0430.jpg (313.7 KB, 28 views)
gijst likes this.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddyrascal View Post
Anthracite, looks amazing on red, white and silver cars, check out the colour on the wifes 147.
I'll say, is that DIY?

Pub
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
I'll say, is that DIY?

Pub
No had them powder coated 50 quid a wheel, i painted the alloys on my old 156 with 2k base and clear, look good just not as tough as powder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0377_1.jpg (169.2 KB, 22 views)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
No had them powder coated 50 quid a wheel.
Do you get the tyres and weights off, the whole wheel done and re-balanced for 50?

Pub
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
Do you get the tyres and weights off, the whole wheel done and re-balanced for 50?

Pub
Yep, dropped the wheels of Thursday morning, picked them up Saturday morning, like new!
Tyres off, Kerbing machined chemical stripped and powder coated, i asked them to fit 4 new tyres that i had bought and balanced up
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Looks like it's too late for the OP, but if anyone else wants paint to touch up or to exactly mimic the original colour of Alfa silver alloys "Toyota Lucerne Silver Metallic" is a perfect match.

Someone on another thread had done the research - but I've used it and it is spot on.
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 14-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
Looks like it's too late for the OP, but if anyone else wants paint to touch up or to exactly mimic the original colour of Alfa silver alloys "Toyota Lucerne Silver Metallic" is a perfect match.

Someone on another thread had done the research - but I've used it and it is spot on.
Not too late at all, I'll grab a couple of tins this week and crack on. You sir are a star
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
bNo idea if the standard wheels have a paint code, standard alloy wheel silver from Halfrauds is a pretty standard wheel silver.
I would personally have them Anthracite, looks amazing on red, white and silver cars, check out the colour on the wifes 147.
This looks bloody amazing.
Gosh your cars all look so clean , I instantly feel ashamed. Just bought my car and still tinkering with the mechanical part as I'm more after that. Visual stuff will have to come up at a later date.
To ask you, is it possible to paint my new bumpers so they look as shiny and as good as the rest of the car? Previous owner had them changed,but the paint is with no clear coat on top and it's slowly pealing off , has no metallic shine either?
I'll figure out how to refurbish the wheels , bumpers are what worries me.

On topic, I will advice following ChrisFix, at least what I'll do when I decide i'm a good enough driver to not cause any more curb rash.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
This looks bloody amazing.
Gosh your cars all look so clean , I instantly feel ashamed. Just bought my car and still tinkering with the mechanical part as I'm more after that. Visual stuff will have to come up at a later date.
To ask you, is it possible to paint my new bumpers so they look as shiny and as good as the rest of the car? Previous owner had them changed,but the paint is with no clear coat on top and it's slowly pealing off , has no metallic shine either?
I'll figure out how to refurbish the wheels , bumpers are what worries me.

On topic, I will advice following ChrisFix, at least what I'll do when I decide i'm a good enough driver to not cause any more curb rash.
Showroom shine is the key to a perfect polished finish, google it, i did not believe you could wash a car without water until i tried it.

As for painting the bumpers, you looking at around 200 for a body shop to paint 2 bumpers if you drop them off and re-fit them yourself, i don't know if you can paint or not, but if you can it would cost you 50 to get the paint activator and thinners. you can't just clear over old paint, it has to be done on fresh base coat.
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 14-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Quote:
Showroom shine is the key to a perfect polished finish, google it, i did not believe you could wash a car without water until i tried it.
I've tried a few water less wash systems over the years but none have ever given me that proper shine and reflection look, plus I have still seen the odd swirl marks there in the sunlight. IMHO nothing beats a good 10 hour clean to get a car sparkling clean.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemshock View Post
I've tried a few water less wash systems over the years but none have ever given me that proper shine and reflection look, plus I have still seen the odd swirl marks there in the sunlight. IMHO nothing beats a good 10 hour clean to get a car sparkling clean.
Yeah but its about what you get for your time investment, i can give the car a quick sponge and rinse including door shuts and wheels, drive round the block to dry it off, showroom shine the whole car, including windows(better than any glass cleaner, zero smears) Amoural the tyres and all in an hour.
The key to a perfect swirl free shine is very clean polishing cloths and a lambs wool mit, you have to learn how to get it perfect owning a black car!
AO Member

County: -
Quote:

As for painting the bumpers, you looking at around 200 for a body shop to paint 2 bumpers if you drop them off and re-fit them yourself, i don't know if you can paint or not, but if you can it would cost you 50 to get the paint activator and thinners. you can't just clear over old paint, it has to be done on fresh base coat.
Great. COntacted some body shops , prices are to be expected lower ,in line with the economy of my country. 50€ a bumper for complete repaint . My sister used the same guy when she crashed her Yaris, paints looks superb and even better than the factory one. He quoted her 90€ for front bumper, hood ,few severe indentations and a slight twist on the frame.
The Alfa in your profile picture looks mean, may you supply me with a .jpeg file ? A hi-res would be nice, a new wallpaper perhaps.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Snook outside after tea while the wife caught up with the Olympic's, cleaned the CLK with my trusty Showroom shine, took 35 mins (cheated a bit because the roof was down) and to be honest i cant see what an extra 9 1/2 hours could have achieved as far as shine and reflection is concerned?
Yes i know i'm an ulgy barsteward !

I know some of you wont believe it but that's 15 year old black paint on the rear quarter of my summer smoker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0532.jpg (85.9 KB, 9 views)
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 15-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Not as ugly as me lol...... This was my daughters Citroen....that im sure hadnt been washed since it left the factory.

Here are a few before and after shots of the car. Ive still got to sort out the bumper but its an improvement.

I must have a problem as I love taking my time, if by the end of the day im not in pain....then I don't think I've earnt the right to sit down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160712_092504_zpsjf2dtohk.jpg (43.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160712_092519_zpsogvdle84.jpg (184.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160712_163802_zpsivjtzeev.jpg (46.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160712_164059_zpsywyaiff5.jpg (227.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160712_164115_zpswmejllxh.jpg (241.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160712_163819_zpsr1ebux33.jpg (63.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by systemshock; 15-08-16 at 22:31.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Not as ugly as me lol...... This was my daughters Citroen....that im sure hadnt been washed since it left the factory.

Here are a few before and after shots of the car. Ive still got to sort out the bumper but its an improvement.

I must have a problem as I love taking my time, if by the end of the day im not in pain....then I don't think I've earnt the right to sit down.
Looks really good, isn't black a love hate colour ! love it when its polished, hate it 3 hours later when it looks dirty!

Nice to see a decent coat of paint on the Citroen, don't know what it is with car manufacturers now but they have no pride whatsoever in quality paint, i see new cars with orange peel that any half decent body shop would sack a painter for.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alloy , colour , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page