Alfa 147 JTDm black soot - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

messyhead

County: -
Alfa 147 JTDm black soot

Hi all

I've got a 147 JTDm 150 on a 56 plate with 80k on it, I purchased the car a couple of months ago and it smoked a bit on startup initially but has got progressively worse. I don't use the car too much during the week as I walk to work and use it for some short distances, but then at least once a week take it on a long run with quite a heavy foot.

It's a bit lumpy on a cold start and take a couple of seconds to start, and smokes a small amount which is probably normal. But when the engine is up to temperature and I give it a boot, I can hear the turbo spool up and then at higher revs its spews out a large ploom of black smoke. It drives fine, but the cars behind often have to back off as the cloud is quite large.

I've read some previous posts about it potentially being the egr valve needing cleaning or replacing, but a mate suggested it may be the injectors as he had a similar issue on diesel car. I've used Forte advanced diesel and turbo cleaners and am currently about a quarter of a tank in, and smoke seems to have gone when normally driving but not when putting my foot into it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Check the lower turbo hose, they tend to rub on the gearbox and eventually blow leaving the tell-tale plume of black smoke. Derv drivers don't half like a bit of clag... well I do anyway.
messyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
Check the lower turbo hose, they tend to rub on the gearbox and eventually blow leaving the tell-tale plume of black smoke. Derv drivers don't half like a bit of clag... well I do anyway.
Ok thanks I'll check that over the weekend.

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Could be maf too.

Or any number of other things. They're a right PITA to diagnose.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Could be maf too.

MAFs tend to fail low when they're on their way out. IE under-report the air flow to the ECU so it ends up under-fueling... Not a smokey failure mode typically!
messyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Could be maf too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
MAFs tend to fail low when they're on their way out. IE under-report the air flow to the ECU so it ends up under-fueling... Not a smokey failure mode typically!
Cheers, it seems to be like opening pandora's box looking at the amount issues on here. The problem is sporadic which makes me think it's not a complete failure of whatever the issue is. There's a lot of smoke which makes me think it's the lower turbo hose, or at least I'm hoping looking at how easy it is to change, but I'll know more tomorrow.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa 147 performance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page