147 JTDm clutch doing my head in - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By alastpa
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Johannesburg
Madness 147 JTDm clutch doing my head in

My JTDm's clutch is really driving up the wall It's become really heavy again ( I've dribbled oil down the clutch fork rod as per the guide on here) but it's back to it's old self again. It also now has a slight judder right at the end of it's travel just before I let go of the clutch pedal. This is only on pullaway and only when it's hot and the pedal get's heavy. It always starts off light in the morning. The car had a new clutch kit and flywheel just under two years ago. It's also had a new master and slave cylinder.

My question is: If i replace the clutch fork bushes will this fix this problem for good?? What are the part numbers for the upper and lower bushes?? I can't find them on EPER at all.

At the moment i'm ready to get rid of an otherwise pristine 147 for a new Honda just to be shot of this infuriating problem. It quite frankly ruins a rather nice car. If the JTDm's had been sold in the US I have not doubt they would've launched a class action law suit for the garbage clutch system on these cars.

Maybe Autolusso could look into doing a repair kit for this problem?? Ned how about it? I'd buy one tomorrow.

Last edited by alastpa; 11-08-16 at 11:05.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Aberdeenshire
For what it is worth, I have had an inconsistant pedal too, sometimes heavy, sometimes light and sometimes a little juddery which a full kit + cylinders hasn't fixed.

I am in the process of deleting the clutch damper in mine which is a valve that sits in the hydraulic line between the 2 cylinders. I suspect this will fix my problems. I don't know if the JTD has one but maybe worth looking at.
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
The clutch fork bearings can wear unevenly and cause problems. The upper bush is 46756747 and the lower bush is 46756742 and they are listed in diagram 3 of the transmission and reduction gear section on eper.

I'm not sure about missing out the damper, i've bypassed mine and it hasn't changed pedal feel but i do notice that you can feel the vibration feedback through the pedal at the top of the stroke, it goes away when the clutch pedal is fully depressed and the clutch disengaged.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 12-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Johannesburg
So I've never been a believer in 'italian tune -up's' but I drove it like I stole it on the way home yesterday. Miraculously the slight judder is now gone and the clutch pedal seems slightly lighter and more positive.

Here's hoping it stays that way
samsdads156jtd likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , clutch , head , jtdm