Alfa 156 1.8 acceleration surge - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Alfa 156 1.8 acceleration surge

Hi all,

This is such a minimal thing but sometimes, when cruising along A-roads, it appears the car momentarily speeds up a small amount without me accelerating. I've read stuff about the variator but this has been changed. The car sounds sweet on idle and the engine is as smooth as silk as it's only covered 50,000 miles.

It only does this occasionally so wondered if there was anything simple I could check.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hordaland

Member car:

156 1.8 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Munkle View Post
Hi all,

This is such a minimal thing but sometimes, when cruising along A-roads, it appears the car momentarily speeds up a small amount without me accelerating. I've read stuff about the variator but this has been changed. The car sounds sweet on idle and the engine is as smooth as silk as it's only covered 50,000 miles.

It only does this occasionally so wondered if there was anything simple I could check.

Cheers
Hello!
First I would just unplug the connector for the MAF-sensor and see if that helps. It will run a bit rough on low power/idle, but give her 60 mph on flat road and see if the problem has gone. If so, get a new sensor, but important: BOSCH Genuine only!! Second, check your spark plug wells for water/oil. Hope it will sort out soon!
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
What year?

If post 2001 with the later dash, Does your cruise control work? If it doesn't then it could be an indication that your clutch pedal switch has gotton stuck. I had all sorts of weird symptoms when that happened to mine including the surging.

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

It is a 2003 but it doesn't have cruise control. It has had a new Bosch MAF at some point. Funnily enough it hasn't done it for a while now. Alfas are like magicians sometimes! They fix themselves!
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
2003 so CF3 then which means it will have the clutch pedal switch regardless. The cruise control test is just the easy way of testing that's all. Otherwise you need MultiECUscan to check the switch position as you depress/release the pedal.

At that age it could also be any number of sensors, Lambda, maf etc. If it where me I would run a bottle of cataclean through the system first to clean the lambda's and injectors before investigating too much further.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
2003 so CF3 then which means it will have the clutch pedal switch regardless. The cruise control test is just the easy way of testing that's all. Otherwise you need MultiECUscan to check the switch position as you depress/release the pedal.

At that age it could also be any number of sensors, Lambda, maf etc. If it where me I would run a bottle of cataclean through the system first to clean the lambda's and injectors before investigating too much further.
Good plan. It seems to be behaving itself now but it won't do any harm to try the cleaner...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , acceleration , alfa , surge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page