Alfa 156 headlight film - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Alfa 156 headlight film

Hi all,

Do all Alfa 156 headlights have a clear plastic film as part of the manufacturing. Mine is peeling in places. Either that or a previous owner has applied some sort of film or coating themselves.

Not sure on the best way to check or remove. Could use a hairdryer or heat gun but don't want to mess up the lights themselves.

Anyone else got the same issue or experienced the same thing.

Not sure if it's a unique problem due to a coating/film being applied at some point or if this is how they come out of the factory...

Thanks in advance...

Rockin' all over the road in Alfas since 1998 including: 164 TS, 164 QV 24v, 166 3.0 Super, 159 JTDM, 75 TS Veloce, 156 1.8 TS Veloce and the Giulietta Cloverleaf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
I don't think they have a film a standard - I have myself never encountered something like that on a 156.

You do get aftermarket "UV protection film" that people put on headlights to stop the plastic from becoming opaque due to UV damage over time. I'd wager someone's stuck some of that on your car's headlights in the past.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
My 156 has this too, first noticed when I did a track day and stuck the number on the headlight, when peeling off afterwards a load of film came off with it. The headlight now looks a mess and is on my todo list to sort out.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebem View Post
My 156 has this too, first noticed when I did a track day and stuck the number on the headlight, when peeling off afterwards a load of film came off with it. The headlight now looks a mess and is on my todo list to sort out.
Yes, I want to sort mine out too. The previous owner was absolutely fastidious about the car, as am I! I just want the lights tidied up. Will investigate the best way to do this.

Sound like some sort of aftermarket adhesive film for the headlights....
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
I think it's from the factory - if I remember correctly there are a few older threads about it being a UV protective layer.

Mine has the same, it started to peel ages ago after using a pressure washer on it (so I don't do that anymore!) and looked a right mess. At MOT one year there was a problem with the headlamp aim and the garage wanted to fit a new light. They were unhappy with the peeling film and thought it was throwing the beam off (it wasn't - the bulb wasn't seated correctly). In the end I bought a headlamp restoration kit and took off all of the remaining film. I have to re-do it periodically as the acrylic glass gets scratched, but not too often. About 25 for the kit, I think.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Wizard View Post
I think it's from the factory - if I remember correctly there are a few older threads about it being a UV protective layer.

Mine has the same, it started to peel ages ago after using a pressure washer on it (so I don't do that anymore!) and looked a right mess. At MOT one year there was a problem with the headlamp aim and the garage wanted to fit a new light. They were unhappy with the peeling film and thought it was throwing the beam off (it wasn't - the bulb wasn't seated correctly). In the end I bought a headlamp restoration kit and took off all of the remaining film. I have to re-do it periodically as the acrylic glass gets scratched, but not too often. About 25 for the kit, I think.
How did you remove the protective film?
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
It's a lacquer coat. If you manage to get it all off and repolish to restore the clarity, you'll need to lacquer it again otherwise it'll go cloudy within weeks.
jwq
Club Member

County: Zuid Holland
you can get special restore kits, basically consisting of waterproof sanding paper and polishing paste, from f.i. 3m and philips (there are more)
The Philips kit also contains special UV protective coating to apply afterwards....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeT5MSJx-gw
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Headl.../dp/B009NOZ5B8
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
The kit I got (don't recall the manufacturer at the mo) included fine wet n dry sandpaper, a polish for after sanding and a lacquer spray to finish it off. I used the coarser sandpaper to remove the remains of the old lacquer and then went finer to get a smooth finish,using the polish at the end and then the lacquer. I'd have preferred not to have to do it but the end result was pretty good.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , film , headlight