Dilemma - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By _The_Editor_
  • 3 Post By dgmayhead
  • 1 Post By AussieAlex
  • 3 Post By joeymannero
  • 2 Post By srad34.

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 09-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT

Dilemma

My GT is coming up for 100k and due a Cambelt service. There is also ominous rattles and bangs coming from the rear suspension and squeaks from the front that suggest a rebuild there may be necessary. I've just been offered 1500 part ex against a low mileage GT 2 years newer valued at 7k. Question is should I spend a couple of grand on mine. I'm not sure it's worth 5500 just for the same car but a bit newer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Low millage doesn't mean a thing on these cars... Just ask Damien about his swirl flaps!

The newer car is still at the very least 6 years old, so due a cambelt/waterpump if it's not already had one, and 100k is barely broken in for the engine...

First thing's first, get an idea of what needs fixing on yours.. Could be completely sorted for a few hundred and give you many more years reliable running...
halftone likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Better the devil you know. Look at your creaking suspension as an opportunity to up grade to eibach pro and up rated roll bar. Go low or go home.
halftone, AussieAlex and gijst like this.

AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Better the devil you know.
This times 10000000000

Trading a known quantity for a total unknown (plus an extra 5500 quid!) is insane imo.

At the most a suspension rebuild might set you back 1k and would likely be cheaper than that. Even if it was more expensive there is no way in hell it's going to set you back 5500 quid unless you're going for some sort of custom made, bespoke shocks and springs which any sane person wouldn't do.

If I was in your shoes I would definitely keep the car you have and then get the cambelt and suspension rebuild done. You'll walk away thousands of quid better off and have a car that you KNOW is a good one. Rather than take a gamble on getting a low miler that has been treated like crap or runs like a pig.

You're mad if you even consider the change imo.
gijst likes this.

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Do the work yourself and you can replace upper and lower wishbones..arb drop links and a set of bilstiens with eibach pro sorings for less than 1500..!

Even with labour you are still looking at less than 2k and tbh I would not buy one of these cars with lower miles given even last year of production will still be getting on for 7 years old .

Cambelt definitely

Wishbones maybe

Clutch maybe

Oil cooler and unions a possible

Turbo hoses

Swirl flaps will need out as will egr.

Quaife can be had for 600 fitted.

100k is bugger all..mine is on 110k and is absolutely fantastic...yours is just getting warmed up.

If you have 1500 available spend it on making the car you have better...if everytime a wishbone creaks or clunks you consider a change then maybe a GT is not the car for you..
halftone, _The_Editor_ and gijst like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

What they all said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 16-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT

Smile

Thanks for the input guys, I think you've just confirmed the conclusion I was coming to anyway.
However according to common sense and the science of Bangernomics isn't it wrong to get emotionally attached to a car and spend more money on it than it is actually worth?
AO Member

County: UK
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I think you've just confirmed the conclusion I was coming to anyway.
However according to common sense and the science of Bangernomics isn't it wrong to get emotionally attached to a car and spend more money on it than it is actually worth?
common sense?
Dont be daft, its an Alfa, this does not apply, just look at how pretty it is!
LittleGTV and halftone like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
I've done my sums and "Bangeromics" is the cheapest way to own and run a car, even if you're needing 2000 a year to keep your retro ride in good health. Anything new hits you for depreciation, you can't do any work on it yourself and will have excessive gadgets and driving aids that detract from the pleasure of ownership and are ultimately just an annoyance. I was offered 100 trade in for my 156 against a new Guiletta and i'm not even convinced the G is a better drive.
I agree the emotional attachment thing can become expensive. Alternative bangers are always available to buy when the mechanical challenges become too much on a much loved banger but once you've bleed your knuckles on a car a few times you come to like it. I think i'd like a classic next so I can blow the dust of my timing strobe and oil the feeler gauge.
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

156 SW 1.8

Quote:
I never really understand why current value of the car is a relevant factor when making this kind of decision, I think it's one of those commonly accepted things that nobody stops to consider if it actually makes sense. If it's going to cost, say, 1500 to get what you have in tip top condition then the question is whether 1500 could buy you something different in equally tip top condition. Normally the answer is no, so you're better off staying with what you have.

The only situation I can think of where value is relevant is if you spend the 1500 to fix it up and then promptly crash the thing and the insurance pays out nothing like what you spent on fixing it.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Creaking suspension and cambelt service, the Alfa equivalent of full ashtrays...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
dilemma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page