Replacing 147 exterior handle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 09-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Replacing 147 exterior handle

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before but I haven't gotta laptop and I'm using a pretty crappy Android phone so finding it hard to search. The exterior drivers side handle on my 147 has gone kaput. Just picked one up from a local scrappy. Is there a guide on how to replace it? Is it an easy DIY job or should I pay for a mechanic to do it? Thanks

Last edited by kopper87; 09-08-16 at 11:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Straight forward enough, but very fiddly, if you don't have the tools or the patience i would pay an hours labour at the garage.

Remove door panel, 2 bolts, pop rod off mechanism and from memory there's a screw on the end of the door above the lock catch

County: Cork
Garage
Link from the last Sticky thread at the top of the page http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post3379852

AO Member

Garage
Bloody hell that's some write up ! i bet i did the job in 40 mins, its taken me that to read the thread!
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So I tried my best to actually understand what I'm doing after reading the thread that David P put and this guide: How to replace the door handle on a GT or 147

However, I'm stuck! I found that the thread was far too confusing and the guide appears to be for a pre-facelift and not facelift which is what I have.

I managed to get the door card off and reach this point:

http://imgur.com/SMOB3H8

but then whilst looking inside the door and trying to get to the handle, I'm not quite sure what to do after:

http://imgur.com/2QI2ZtN

Can someone please tell me what the next step is to take?
AO Member

Garage
Find the Torx screw on the outer end of the door level with the handle and remove it.
Then do this............and then a load of wiggling and jiggling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2QI2ZtN.jpg (66.9 KB, 14 views)
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddyrascal View Post
Find the Torx screw on the outer end of the door level with the handle and remove it.
Mate, you're a legend!
I gave up today so I'll do this first thing tomorrow.
I'm assuming once I take the old handle out, I put those rods back into the new handle BEFORE i put the handle into the door? not after, because it'll be kind of impossible?
AO Member

Garage
From memory the rods do connect before the handle goes back in, or one of them at least.
Its a swine to get the handle out and back in, the hole in the door is barely big enough and you've got to slide it to the front, twist it up and operate the handle at the shame time.
My advice is to put masking tape over the door to avoid scratching the paint.
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
From memory the rods do connect before the handle goes back in, or one of them at least.
Its a swine to get the handle out and back in, the hole in the door is barely big enough and you've got to slide it to the front, twist it up and operate the handle at the shame time.
My advice is to put masking tape over the door to avoid scratching the paint.
That sounds like a right headache but I'm willing to give it a go to save 100 odd labour costs!
Thanks for the info mate.
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
God damn, it is ridiculously hard to get those rods out. I've just about managed to get hold of them with long nose pliers but I just can't pull them out, it's almost as if they are stuck. Do I definitely have to pull them out before I take the handle off and not pull the handle part out as much as I can and then pull them out?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopper87 View Post
God damn, it is ridiculously hard to get those rods out. I've just about managed to get hold of them with long nose pliers but I just can't pull them out, it's almost as if they are stuck. Do I definitely have to pull them out before I take the handle off and not pull the handle part out as much as I can and then pull them out?
Give it a try, i honestly cant remember its about 2 years ago i last did the job, good luck
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Take the plastic window guide out first if you haven't already, its only 2 bolts and makes the job much easier, ie you can get your hand in there.

One of the rods (red one) is a straight pull out but the other (yellow one) you have to twist a locking collar off the rod first then pull it out, you will find you can get the handle out with this still atttached so leave it on, and refit it to the new handle before you put it back in.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Take the plastic window guide out first if you haven't already, its only 2 bolts and makes the job much easier, ie you can get your hand in there.

One of the rods (red one)is a straight pull out but the other you have to twist a locking collar off the rod first then pull it out, but the handle will come out with this one attached so leave it on, then refit it to the new handle before you put it back in.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Disconnect the rods at the lock end, not the handle end.

From the guide...

23. If you're doing the driver's side (like me) there are 2 x rods connecting the door handle to the lock mechanism. If you peer down into the door you can see the clips on the rods connecting them to the lock mechanism. Unless you have forearms like Popeye you can reach in and push the clips outwards to release the rods. You might need a screwdriver to flick the top of the clip towards the outer door skin. They're hinged at the bottom so no danger of losing them.
24. The door handle is now free to be removed, it first needs to slide toward the front of the car and then wriggle the handle out of the hole. If it's proving hard to get it moving insert the bolt from step #22 a couple of turns and tap it gently with a hammer.

Good luck

Pub

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , exterior , handle , replacing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page