Pumpkin - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By mick164
  • 1 Post By AussieAlex
  • 1 Post By mick164
  • 1 Post By kandlbarrett

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 09-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Pumpkin

Has anyone fitted one of these.

Looks good and has everything I need on it.
Pumpkin 7 inch Flush Panel Touchscreen 2DIN Android 4.4 Universal Car Stereo Support External DAB+ with Parrot Bluetooth IC

I can not find any bad reviews online, but thought I would see if anyone had fitted one.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
..i put a similar one in the GT recently. Overall I really like it but there's a couple of things to be aware of..

- Firstly, they're quite deep and there's not much space in the GT dash, so check your measurements and remember there'll be cables coming out the back.
- The 2v pre-outs aren't enough to drive the BOSE amp. However the speaker level outputs work quite well once you set the EQ to flat (maybe just add a tiny bit of bass lift)
- You may need to drill hole in the glovebox or ashtray to get the USB cables somewhere useful. Also if you want the GPS antenna on top of the dash the handiest way is up at the back of the top air vents.. again you may have to remove and make a small hole.
- Bluetooth phone quality isn't great
- the FM radio works fine but the sound quality isn't the best either.. fine for talk radio but a little "transit-van" if you listen to a lot of music radio.
- the real power of these units is to tether it to your phone's wifi, so you'll need a good data plan and coverage. If you can do this you can stream Spotify premium all day and it actually sounds pretty good..
- You can connect to TORQUE through an ELM327 interface. However most of these interfaces are clones of the the 1.0 version and have some bugs.. this can cause some glitches on a CANBUS system..
- a physical volume knob is a nice thing to have
- i didn't bother connecting the steering wheel controls because of this, but the thing i miss is the "next track" buttons..

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.. you have to remember that it is a computer, so you'll have little glitches here and there and it does take half a minute to boot up etc.. but overall i really like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa joying sml.jpg (70.5 KB, 18 views)
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
@Mick164

There's no need to constantly stream if you have Spotify premium. Just park your car close enough to your house so that you can tether the HU to your phone and use the wifi to sync your playlist to the Spotify app on the HU. Spotify premium allows offline playlists so therefore you don't need to be constantly streaming and chewing through mobile data whilst you're on the go. Just use your phone as a wifi hotspot for the HU and use the Spotify app on the HU to download your playlist. That way you will have your music with you regardless of your phone signal. Barring that most of the Pumpkin HU's also support 3G/4G so you can have a dedicated mobile data sim card for the HU to do any downloading and streaming that you want.

@Calgone

I was considering buying one of these units before I settled on a more traditional unit. As Mick164 said, the main benefit of these units is that they are Android tablets. So you get all the apps and features that go with it but as they are so much cheaper than more established brands like Pioneer (about 1/3 the price of a comparative Pioneer system) you do need to keep in mind that the FM radio signal and audio quality generally isn't quite as good out of the box.

However being Android you get full access to the play store so there is a plethora of apps out there to help you balance the EQ to your tastes and the feature that was attracting me the most was being able to use Here Maps for GPS which I love using on my phone and would have been great to have on the HU display. The only reason I didn't choose the Pumpkin in the end was because I just wasn't willing to pay $400 + pp for a headunit. But if I was going to spend that much I would have definitely got one as they seem to be the best all rounders out there at the moment in terms of features v price.

So if you're happy to accept that you might need to download a few apps onto the HU to get the sound and features you want, then I would say go for it. You won't get anything like that feature set from Pioneer or Alpine for less than double - triple the cost!

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAlex View Post
@Mick164

There's no need to constantly stream if you have Spotify premium...
..true, there's plenty of ways to hear your music We get "all you can eat" 4G around here pretty cheap so streaming is a neat option..

Regarding the sound quality, the FM radio is on a separate board i'd imagine, so the quality is quite different to that coming off the main board. I specifically bought a unit with pre-outs so i could bypass the internal amp and go straight to the OEM BOSE system in the GT, but as i said it didn't work out because the BOSE amp seems to need a 4V signal.

However, apart from a small loss of adjustability at very low volume levels, the sound from the speaker-level outputs through the BOSE amp is actually pretty good. If you think about it, the only reason you need EQ in a car is to compensate for all the peaks and troughs created by putting random drive units into a difficult space like a car..

But the BOSE system (amp and speakers) has been designed into the GT from the start, so if you put a flat signal into it you should get a pretty decent signal out.. or it's already EQ'd from the factory if you like..

Usually anything you do to an audio signal can only make it worse, so the less processing you can get away with the better. In my case at least it sounded pretty good with the EQ flat, and just adding a tiny bit of low end with the EQ seems to be enough to get a nicely balanced overall sound..
AussieAlex likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
You do seem to have picked a well specified unit. It is quad core and 16gB ram. A few things to double check though:-

1) it looks like the DAB radio is not included but a pay for extra.
2) it might have GPS but it doesn't appear to include SatNav software or maps.
3) some android units do not follow the double DIN sizing and are too large for the cut out in the adaptor / surround and you will need to open up the adaptor. I don't know if this applies to this unit but, if it does, that can be quite tricky. I used a Dremell (very, very carefully) to modify mine.

If you are looking for SatNav software with inbuilt maps I have "iGo" with quarter 4 2015 maps that I can load onto an 8gB SD card. If you post it to me I will load it and post back.

To keep the steering wheel controls functioning you will also need the appropriate Dynamic Sounds adaptor and these are about 35 - 40.

I fitted an Android unit to my son's Bose equipped 147 and, as others have said, the sound was no different to the previous head unit but I did add a small amount of bass lift on the equaliser of the head unit. Please note that if you have Bose the speakers are 2ohm and the standard for almost every other manufacturer is 4ohm so the head unit and speakers are not matched for output and load but, being honest, I have not noticed a single issue with an Android in my son's 147. However that does not guarantee that it won't cause problems for you and would probably invalidate any warranty.

NOTE1: if you have Bose you will need to supply the Bose amp with a switched live. If you don't the only thing that you will get from the speakers is silence! The head unit should have a switched live output for that.

Last edited by kandlbarrett; 09-08-16 at 19:09.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
2) it might have GPS but it doesn't appear to include SatNav software or maps.
IIRC from when I was looking at buying a Pumpkin unit they do indeed come pre-loaded with GPS software and also have an SD slot in them for loading maps you have sourced yourself. As I am sure you know, being Android based the OP can always use whichever free or paid Android app they like once they get the unit up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick164 View Post
..true, there's plenty of ways to hear your music We get "all you can eat" 4G around here pretty cheap so streaming is a neat option..

Regarding the sound quality, the FM radio is on a separate board i'd imagine, so the quality is quite different to that coming off the main board. I specifically bought a unit with pre-outs so i could bypass the internal amp and go straight to the OEM BOSE system in the GT, but as i said it didn't work out because the BOSE amp seems to need a 4V signal.

However, apart from a small loss of adjustability at very low volume levels, the sound from the speaker-level outputs through the BOSE amp is actually pretty good. If you think about it, the only reason you need EQ in a car is to compensate for all the peaks and troughs created by putting random drive units into a difficult space like a car..

But the BOSE system (amp and speakers) has been designed into the GT from the start, so if you put a flat signal into it you should get a pretty decent signal out.. or it's already EQ'd from the factory if you like..

Usually anything you do to an audio signal can only make it worse, so the less processing you can get away with the better. In my case at least it sounded pretty good with the EQ flat, and just adding a tiny bit of low end with the EQ seems to be enough to get a nicely balanced overall sound..
Forgot the GT comes with Bose! My 156 just has factory speakers (which actually are pretty reasonable with a decent HU powering them) so my comments regarding EQ adjustments really stemmed from that view point. My 156 required some EQ adjustments to get the sound the way I like it. Though listening mostly to heavy metal and hard rock they are probably a little different to your standard user
mick164 likes this.
AO Silver Member

..yeah it's all heavy metal in Sweden
AussieAlex likes this.
AO Silver Member

AussieAlex: yes early Pumpkin units normally came with software and maps and two SD slots; one for music and one for maps. However, more and more will quote GPS and not supply software nor maps.

A lot of units now come with a single SD slot so you either load the maps onto the head unit or lose music space on the SD card. If you look closely at the unit in the link there is only one SD slot. Some new units will not run software from the single SD card and it must be loaded onto the head unit.

I have bought many Pumpkin units and you must now read the advert VERY carefully. Looking at this advert I would bet 20 that it does NOT come with GPS software nor maps and you will have to obtain (buy) or illegally download your own.

I think the reason for this is that a lot of the previous "free" apps that include maps are now paid for. Certainly iGo used to be free but is now only available to system builders or large retailers. As a small customer it is hard to get for free and a lot of the big SatNav suppliers are adopting this.

Plenty of the on-line SatNav apps are still free but using those for extended periods can be expensive due to the data costs plus some people worry about the on-line software snooping on them.
AussieAlex likes this.
AO Member

Garage
You can use Here WeGo (formally HERE Drive and based on Nokia Maps essentially) for free and download offline maps (assuming that the HU lets you download the app.....which it should as I understand). That's what I use on my Android based phone and its 100% free and always worked a charm for me. Has regular map updates and has never tried to send me into a river or the ocean or anything like that.
AO Member

County: Friesland
Garage
I bought a Pumpkin a month ago. It does come with Igo on the GPS card. My mp3 collection is on a 250gb ssd on one of the usb connectors. You can only use 1 of the 3 usb connectors for storage. It won't see the second or third storage mounted. These usb's are for 3g/4g usb adapters and/or phone for mirroring on the screen. The DAB+ receiver needs to be bought separately but it is well worth the money. Just buy this from another supplier on Aliexpress and not from Pumpkin. Saves you almost half the money: Externe DAB Voegen DAB + Digitale Radio Box Ontvanger met Touch Control Voor Android Auto Dvd speler Radio GPS Voor Europa alleen in belangrijk:1. Deze DAB + box kan alleen fit sommige van onze android dvd-spelers, het alleen fit de auto dvd met deze I get good reception with the included windscreen antenna but that's in The Netherlands. FM-radio reception is exceptional; better than the oem radio. Sound quality overall is good. A cracked Torque Pro is included and I got it working with a cheap bluetooth obd2 adapter.

I would consider looking for a head unit with a volume pot, very convenient. Get the Connects2 stalk-adapter for swc, though the next/last buttons will not work in other apps than the standard ones (can work with Spotify but it needs some software mods)
AO Silver Member

I say again that the model shown only has a single card and I bet 20 to the IPs favourite charity that it does NOT come with Satnav Software.

I know they often do but not always. I bet this one does not.
AO Member

County: Friesland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
I say again that the model shown only has a single card and I bet 20 to the IPs favourite charity that it does NOT come with Satnav Software.

I know they often do but not always. I bet this one does not.
Best way to find out is to ask the seller. My unit has a single sd-card slot and it did come with the Igo nav software as I said before. That doesn't mean the bet is on, by the way.
I would suggest buying from Aliexpress or Amazon if possible. That might come in handy when you need after sales service. I think the prices are the same. Just make sure you select the UK warehouse as the place of dispatch.
AO Member

Garage
Seeing as the link in OP quite clearly shows a micro SD slot on the left side bezel along with mentioning very clearly that it supports micro SD and USB media up to 32GB in size, I really don't see what the issue is. It also mentions Google Maps and Waze on the GPS section which would suggest to me that it does indeed come with some form of map software. So I really don't see how you concluded that this unit doesn't support micro SD??

Worst case if the OP ordered the unit and it didn't support micro SD it's a very clear-cut case for a refund for misrepresentation as both the images and information on the website show that the unit should have micro SD support.
AO Silver Member

I still stick with my bet that SatNav software is NOT pre-installed. It does have GPS installed but you then need to install mapping software.

More and more free SatNav software (even Android) is now crippled or dependant on downloading maps via 3G as you drive. The only thing I am pointing out is buyer beware. You will have to install your own software and FREE quality mapping software that doesn't depend on 3G download is getting harder to find.

For anyone that wants it I have the latest version of iGo and send me an SD card and I will load and return it to you for free.

And I can't find anywhere that I stated it does not support an SD card only that some single card units will not let you run software off that card.

I may be wrong in all of this especially about running software off the card but the bet is still on about this NOT coming with SatNav software preinstalled.

Last edited by kandlbarrett; 14-08-16 at 18:41.
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 16-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Thanks all for replying.

I have ordered the unit with a few extras (DAB unit, steering wheel switch adaptor and rear parking camera).
The unit has IGo with it, but I will use Sygic as I have it on my phone with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for all the advice.
Will have to look at the DAB Ariel - position wise.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Ooof, you can't show me things like that!! That's mad! Such a good idea!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
pumpkin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page