Hard knock on full lock, heavy accel/ brake - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Hard knock on full lock, heavy accel/ brake

I have noticed that I have a knocking noise when I turn full lock or full opposite lock. The noise is a single knock as I reach lock and then another knock as I start turning back. I will intermittently get the same sound when accelerating hard/braking hard. The noise originates in the front right - presumably from the wheel. Car is a 147 1.9 JTD 16V.

Suspension was inspected and is in good condition. The problem is rare, it occurs far from often , but I'm interested as in what can be causing it. Possibly something on the suspension inspection was missed out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
Do you have 17 inch wheels with a high profile? Even with 225 45s mine used to knock when it was lowered and I never knew why but I presume its the rubbery thing infront of the wheel in the wheel well, it was completely ripped on my case and there is some metally bit behind there which is what Im guessing the cause for the knocks. It almost sounds like those old big sail ships when they turn, right?
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijst View Post
Do you have 17 inch wheels with a high profile? Even with 225 45s mine used to knock when it was lowered and I never knew why but I presume its the rubbery thing infront of the wheel in the wheel well, it was completely ripped on my case and there is some metally bit behind there which is what Im guessing the cause for the knocks. It almost sounds like those old big sail ships when they turn, right?
17 inch , 225s .Not sure about the second measurement. My car is lowered too, on KW sport suspension. Figured it could be due to that.

AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
17 inch , 225s .Not sure about the second measurement. My car is lowered too, on KW sport suspension. Figured it could be due to that.
I think it is because of that and I have no idea how to solve it. However, i didn't hear the knocking when accelerating/braking, only when full lock.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
accel or , brake , full , hard , heavy , knock , lock

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page