Clutch pedal creak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ransoman
  • 1 Post By ransoman
  • 1 Post By Calgone
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: Frustrated!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 42
Clutch pedal creak

I'm unfortunate enough to have a really stiff clutch pedal which I've just learnt to deal with as most garages keep telling me I need a new clutch to resolve the problem, which I can't really afford.

However, now my clutch pedal has started to creak only when you press it down at the start, so maybe a centimetre or two in, when you go further down, there's no creak.

Anybody know what this is? Please please please don't say a new clutch pedal!
kopper87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: V6 Inside
AO Silver Member
 
ransoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 4,787
Images: 1
It's a feature of the 147/GT

If you are new to this car, always keep a spare clutch pedal clip in your car somewhere. It doesn't matter what kind of clip, even an old small keyring will do. Have a look under the dashboad and you will see what type of clip it is.

Remove the clip and you can slip the master cylinder off the pedal and lubricate the rod it connects too with some grease. That will get rid off the creak for a while.

You need the spare clips because they have a habit of shearing and falling off leaving you with no clutch. As you have a heavy clutch more pressure is being exerted on the clip than usual.
gijst likes this.

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Daily Driver.
Alfa 145 QV ph1 in green (Death by rust project) For Sale.
Alfa GTV TS ph2 in blue
ransoman is offline  
Status: Fixing problems one by one
AO Member
 
gijst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Posts: 253
Garage
My clutch is creaking as well but it's very light. Will a new clutch kit solve this, as I am planning on replacing it before next summer, or a set of sparco pedals from alfisti shop?
gijst is online now  
 
Status: V6 Inside
AO Silver Member
 
ransoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 4,787
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijst View Post
My clutch is creaking as well but it's very light. Will a new clutch kit solve this, as I am planning on replacing it before next summer, or a set of sparco pedals from alfisti shop?
No, A light clutch is a happy clutch. You just need to remove and lubricate the linkage from the master cylinder to the pedal. Look under the dashboard and you will see what I mean.
gijst likes this.
ransoman is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: Frustrated!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
It's a feature of the 147/GT

If you are new to this car, always keep a spare clutch pedal clip in your car somewhere. It doesn't matter what kind of clip, even an old small keyring will do. Have a look under the dashboad and you will see what type of clip it is.

Remove the clip and you can slip the master cylinder off the pedal and lubricate the rod it connects too with some grease. That will get rid off the creak for a while.

You need the spare clips because they have a habit of shearing and falling off leaving you with no clutch. As you have a heavy clutch more pressure is being exerted on the clip than usual.
That's brilliant! Thanks for the info.
I've got some Vaseline lying around so that'll have to do lol.
kopper87 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 50

Member car:

147

I had a creaking clutch pedal and followed this guide.

How to Fix a Squeaky Clutch Pedal*|*devonbuy.com

All sorted no noise.
Been 15 -16 months now.

Worth ago.
gijst likes this.
Calgone is offline  
Status: Fixing problems one by one
AO Member
 
gijst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Posts: 253
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
No, A light clutch is a happy clutch. You just need to remove and lubricate the linkage from the master cylinder to the pedal. Look under the dashboard and you will see what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgone View Post
I had a creaking clutch pedal and followed this guide.

How to Fix a Squeaky Clutch Pedal*|*devonbuy.com

All sorted no noise.
Been 15 -16 months now.

Worth ago.
Thank you to the both of you ! I will find some lithium grease and do it. Looks simple enough!
gijst is online now  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopper87 View Post
I'm unfortunate enough to have a really stiff clutch pedal which I've just learnt to deal with as most garages keep telling me I need a new clutch to resolve the problem, which I can't really afford.

However, now my clutch pedal has started to creak only when you press it down at the start, so maybe a centimetre or two in, when you go further down, there's no creak.

Anybody know what this is? Please please please don't say a new clutch pedal!
You may find that you can hear also a creak from the gearbox area when you depress the clutch. The clutch fork bushes can require lubrication and this can transform the clutch feel -usually much smoother and lighter. Very easy to do and a quick search on here will give you a guide. It involves dribbling a small amount of lubtricant down the clutch fork.
gtv160 is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: Frustrated!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv160 View Post
You may find that you can hear also a creak from the gearbox area when you depress the clutch. The clutch fork bushes can require lubrication and this can transform the clutch feel -usually much smoother and lighter. Very easy to do and a quick search on here will give you a guide. It involves dribbling a small amount of lubtricant down the clutch fork.
Hi bud, are you referring to the bush in the engine bay fix, where you have to take the battery out and dribble some oil in that bush?

I did that a few months ago and it did absolutely nothing to sort my heavy clutch problem out, it's still ridiculously stiff.
kopper87 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopper87 View Post
Hi bud, are you referring to the bush in the engine bay fix, where you have to take the battery out and dribble some oil in that bush?

I did that a few months ago and it did absolutely nothing to sort my heavy clutch problem out, it's still ridiculously stiff.
Yes that is the one. It is possible then that your heavy clutch problem lies elsewhere then. When I did this it tansformed the clutch completely and cured the creak from the gearbox area. It was a cheap fix and always worth a try.
gtv160 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Volos
County: -Greece
Posts: 27
Ah well i had the same problems in my previous 156 and in my 147 today..

Stiff clutch---> Change upper clutch tromp and hope you dont have to change the lower on too

Clutch creak---> As others said your pedal base needs lubrication. I heard the creak one day going to work (that day i decided not to listen to loud music in the car). On my 156 a mechanic spayed something under my pedal and "pouf" the creak was gone. I will probably go to him again when i am ready to change tyres and suspension.
omonos is offline  
Status: New quiet lifters
AO Silver Member
 
halftone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 1,326
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgone View Post
I had a creaking clutch pedal and followed this guide.

How to Fix a Squeaky Clutch Pedal*|*devonbuy.com

All sorted no noise.
Been 15 -16 months now.

Worth ago.
NO! The lithium grease recommended by that link is mineral (petroleum) based and will attack hydraulic seals, so it's a really bad idea to spray into the master cylinder like this.

Red brake grease is vegetable-oil based and hydraulic-safe, but I've never seen it as an aerosol product. Best idea is aerosol silicone grease (which normal WD40 isn't, so don't use that, but their new expanded range includes a silicone grease in a yellow can - Halfords sell it). Maplin also sells various aerosol silicone greases. Silicone grease is rubber-safe, and is also what you should use for creaking rubber suspension bushes.
halftone is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
t3yls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,894
Images: 4

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I've sprayed quite a few things inside my master cylinder seal to stop the squeek ....wd40, white lithium grease and a few others.

The only one that didn't wear off after a week, was aerosol copper grease! No idea why. But it worked. Started trying many sprays about 2 years ago (seals seem to be ok)

I even injected silicon lube with a syringe, but that didn't work either.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
t3yls is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: Frustrated!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 42
I done this fix with lithium grease spray yesterday and it took the squeak away straight away.
kopper87 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
clutch , creak , pedal

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
Replace with
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome